AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Combining meditation and pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I sent this message to Yogani:

quote:
After reading Advanced Yoga Practices, I had a simple question - is it ok to combine meditation with pranayama, and do it continuously throughout the day?

So I would keep repeating the mantra I AM while doing the spinal breathing, doing other stuff at the same time, like eating and talking to friends.

And received this message back:

quote:
If one scoop of ice cream per day is good, will 10 gallons of ice cream per day be much better? Obviously not.

The practices in AYP are very powerful and overdoing them can lead to a lot of problems, and much slower progress. So it is suggested to follow the guidelines for practices in the lessons -- Deep meditation twice each day for not more than 20 minutes per session, and spinal breathing before deep meditation (not during) for not more than 10 minutes, only after deep meditation practice has become stable, which could take weeks or months.

Keep in mind that the best results will come by alternating practice sessions with normal daily activity in a balanced way. Finding that balance is what "self-pacing" is all about.

I'm wondering what these side effects are, and what kind of problems they lead to. Any further insight would be appreciated!

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  4:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogamonster...

And welcome.

I would recommend visiting the AYP forum titled Building A Daily Practice With Self Pacing. There you will find many current examples of some of the side effects and difficulties people are encountering...not to mention many great suggestions from some of the very experienced and knowledgeable AYP practitioners here.

My only experience with having to self pace (so far!) was over doing pranayama that knocked me on my ass for a few days with a weird kind of dizziness. Not much to tell. Small potatoes really compared to what you many have gone though. But that mild example was enough to make me a self pacing nut.

The separation of DM and pranayama is one of the things that sets AYP apart from other practices that do combine them. I've found this separation makes each practice far more simpler to do...and the practice as a whole to be far more effective. Plus, prananyama has a cumulative effect...it can really sneak up on you an bite you if one is not careful. Again, my example was a walk in the park...but still, lesson learned.

And for the record, I've only been applying AYP for about a year. Yogani has said that... ironically, the more a practitioner progresses the more sensitive they become and may have to self pace even more than a beginner. So you have to think about this with a long term view.

All The Best!!
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  8:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogamonster

I would like to add that whenever I have pushed myself with AYP I have paid the piper with some symptoms:

Migraines; nausea; dizziness; 'internal sunburn' which is like sunburn on skin without any visible signs (not that I know what sunburn is living in the north of England) tinnitus; the shakes; feeling hot; giddiness; insomnia; minor skin rash; irritability; trivial things causing anger.

This was because I did not self-pace. I would have minor symptoms which (I now know) were pointers telling me to reduce practises. Back then I didn't. I thought the more the merrier - what's a bit of pain - it's obviously progress! Definitely not true.

But I don't want to scare you off: now that I have found a balance - if you stick to the lessons you won't need to experience all of the above - I experience none of the above except ecstatic bliss all the time. And now I do the minimum DM and SBP twice a day. So less can be more.

So this can tell you two things. Self pacing is really important (how is your daily life)? And two, these practises are powerful and very effective.

All the best Yogamonster!

Edited by - woosa on Apr 09 2013 8:40:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  8:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums!

Have you tried doing what you have mentioned above Yogamoster?
Have you done other practices like this, or is this your first taste in meditation and pranayama of any kind?

Depending on how sensitive you are, you can have many symptoms... if you are very sensitive then what Woosa says is a big possibility. if you are not very sensitive, you may have milder symptoms. The main thing you will see if you do this constantly is a lot of purification will come up at once and you will feel tired, lethargic,irritated, angry or depressed depending on what your personality naturally favors and bit out of sorts.

The main reason we do it as a sitting practice twice a day is to have the time inbetween to ground and integrate all that is brought up by the practice, then we get to enjoy the fruits of the practice in our everyday life.

Think of practices like an exercise routine... you wouldn't be running all day or lifting weights all day... you would do it at certain times and give the body rest during the times inbetween ... same goes with any other spiritual practice.

Hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  03:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@DoctorWho, woosa and Shanti
Thanks for the comments :] maybe I underestimated the importance of self pacing.. ;]

I've done some meditation before, but this is my first time practicing yoga. So I suppose the main "side effect" would be all the dirty stuff coming out at once, so to speak. I've been doing what I described for a week or two, and so far it hasn't been a total tragedy. In fact, it seems to have lead to some positive changes, like feeling more confident. I do get mood swings, but within what could be called the normal boundaries. So I guess I could continue with this practice and stop at the first sign of a severe symptom?

Edited by - yogamonster on Apr 10 2013 03:30:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  07:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogamonster

Just continue as you are with DM and add in Spinal Breathing when you feel like you want to.

If you haven't already it would be best to read this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

Don't worry about any severe symptoms arising. Just enjoy your sessions and don't add a new practise every week like I did.
Go to Top of Page

Arman

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  08:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogamonster

Sometimes less is more. :)

I took on too much and overdid practices in my early months and as a result I think I have slown down progress in the end by taking on more than I could handle. I learned it the hard way, and I suspect my over-sensitivity now was from being reckless and chasing more experiences early on.

For a while I was experiencing symptoms of over-purification but I didn't want to reduce my practice or remove anything because I didn't like the idea of 'less progress'. When I finally stopped being stubborn, I started to remove practices until I found a better balance and I actually found out that progress for myself was much better.

Everyone is different. At this point because of oversensitivity, the only sitting practice I do is breath-based meditation and I am still progressing at the same rate because this is what my body calls for at this point in my journey.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  11:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogamonster, and welcome.

You have some great feedback here from experienced practitioners. Thanks all for chiming in.

It should also be pointed out that there can be delayed effects from overdoing practices -- weeks, months, and even years later. So it is good to be moderate in practices as covered throughout the AYP lessons, and also moderate in all other things, including ice cream consumption.

Wishing you the best on your chosen path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogamonster

20 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  1:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@ woosa, Arman and yogani

Thanks for your help! I think I'll take a look at the forum called Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing as suggested by DoctorWho
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000