New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  06:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I had the most unusual birthday this year. On the night before my birthday I was riding my motorcycle home from visiting a friend, made a left turn at a familiar intersection and was struck by a red light runner. All I knew was that I was going into the turn and suddenly there was a white car in my face. The next thing I knew I was flying in the air. My consciousness went into aware silent mode,I tucked and rolled without thinking and was up on my feet! I walked over to my fallen still running motorcycle and turned off the engine. Then some very sweet and gentle people came over and softly led me to a bench to sit down. They looked astounded at what they saw, probably expected me to be lying dead in the street. Then when I was sitting down my consciousness drifted off to what felt like a very safe and comforting place. the next thing I had people telling me firmly to wake up, that my head had been shaking and they thought that I had had a seizure. The head shaking thing is something that often happens to me in deep relaxation so it didn't worry me but they seemed seriously concerned. They let me call my son who by good fortune happened to be nearby in the city. They put me in an ambulance but I was able to see my son and tell him how to get the bike towed home. They had him frightened telling him that I might die. They stuck IV's in me, heart monitor stuff and blood pressure cuff. we rode to the hospital where I was not allowed to move a muscle ( good thing i am a yogi )for several hours while they scanned and examined me. During that time I really didn't know if I was paralyzed or not as they would not let me move. There was an air of critical concern around me by doctors and nurses. After a few hours ( and a head CAT scan)they let me sit up and I called my son and he came to the hospital. At about midnight ( my birthday) they released me and my son drove me home. I went to bed and the next morning woke up with a slightly aching knee and a few cardiac monitor stickers on my chest. My son and I took a hike to celebrate my birthday down a beautiful canyon to a waterfall that I know. Yes, it really happened! The next day a woman that I am seeing came over and made me a delicious meal, relaxed by the fire with me, and lovingly led me to the bedroom...
So I would say that it was the best birthday ever. Kind of miraculous really. My clothes were not even torn, my jacket not scuffed, my helmet very lightly scratched. A really remarkable experience! Hard to explain how such a disaster ended up so lightly but I have to say that my Yoga and martial arts training no doubt helped a great deal, and of course grace! Anyway, just wanted to share. Today I did a full asana practice including hanumanasana and halasana. I have never felt better!

Edited by - Victor on Mar 28 2013 06:21:05 AM

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  06:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, the driver of the car didn't stick around to help or see if I was alright. They fled the scene before anyone could get their license plate number. The motorcycle community however have been amazingly supportive, coming over to help with bike repairs and offering parts for nothing more than shipping costs. It feels that this experience has connected me more to people who actually care and genuinely want to help those who need it so that is another positive result of this. My heart feels filled with love from all these people with genuinely open hearts!

Edited by - Victor on Mar 28 2013 06:22:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  06:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! What a great story Victor! Very happy to hear that you are okay.

I had a similar, albiet less dramatic experience a few years back. I was rear-ended by a Jeep going approximately 70km an hour while I was at a complete stop, sitting at a stop light. The Jeep's brakes had failed so there was no slowing down at all before the impact. I saw him in my rear-view mirror a millisecond before the impact and consciousness did the same as you described... went completely silent. I was luckily not hurt at all, no injuries other than a slightly stiff neck the next day, although both my car and the Jeep were completely written off. The man driving had a 5 year old boy in his car who was very traumatized and surprisingly (at least for me, in the past I would have been very upset about my car) that was all I cared about in those moments after the impact... is he alright?

Glad to hear you are okay. Happy Birthday!

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  08:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you were not hurt Victor...
Happy (Re)Birthday!
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  09:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gosh, what a story!!

Worth publishing: "Yoga and the art of motorcycle crashing", as a sequel to the old classic, "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

So glad you're ok Victor. Happy birthday! Also glad that you are accomplishing the Hanumanasana (I remember reading that was one of your goals for your birthday, correct?)

Much love.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  10:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor:

An amazing story. Glad to hear you came through it unscathed, in stillness of course.

And thank you for all the support you have shared with others here over the years. You are a treasure of knowledge and experience.

Happy birthday!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  11:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very glad you are alright. No doubt if anything were to have happened differently it would have been a bad outcome.

Carson, I wonder how all the brakes just fail like that. Would imagine the handbrake to at least be operational. And with no prior warning to that driver.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  11:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Aum,

quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Carson, I wonder how all the brakes just fail like that. Would imagine the handbrake to at least be operational. And with no prior warning to that driver.

The driver told me after the accident that he had just had the brakes redone on the Jeep, so I suspect that someone hadn't properly attached a brake line or something like that. I saw his face in the rear-view before impact and he was well aware he was about to crash.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  12:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a miraculous story Victor! Glad to hear you are doing well and had a fabulous birthday.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  1:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"Yoga and the art of motorcycle crashing", as a sequel to the old classic, "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear you are OK my fellow kechari friend.

Happy Birthday!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  5:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm "Zen and the art of motorcycle crashing". I don't really want to do too much more personal research on that subject...
Go to Top of Page

JosephUK

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  5:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Birthday Victor, i'm glad your safe and well and got to do your hike with your son :)

once i was hit by a car whilst cycling, i was clipped into my spds but managed to do a roll so as to hit the bonnet on my back and slide over the top of the car onto the other side and land on my feet.

it was just instinct, funnily enough while i was doing that i blacked out i guess that was my inner stillness in action lol.

when i landed i wasn't sure what to do so i just sat in siddhassana for a while. i felt very grounded.

joe
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  8:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So glad you are ok, Victor!! and a very Happy Birthday to you.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  10:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ninja.

Glad you had a great birthday and got into the splits. Sounds like a fun and memorable time.

Namaste

cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  12:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the good wishes! I do feel pretty good considering. I have to admit being a bit cranky with bad drivers on the road today but that seems reasonable...
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  02:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Victor, very happy to hear that you are OK after this. It is very curious to see how such a potentially critical situation turned into a positive outcome. Seems to me that you've got really good Angels!
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  06:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Always had a great pack of angels with a twisted sense of humor looking after me :D
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  07:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
awesome, Happy birthday Victor!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  1:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson, yes that explains it. A neighbour who just had their wheels put back on at a major service center ended up with one coming off while on the highway. He has had a new car since then, so I'm guessing the resulting damage wasn't worth fixing.

Hopefully mistakes become less likely with more natural presence during the day.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  8:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Birthday!!!!!!! Glad you are doing fine!!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  12:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What about the bike

A proper rider wouldn't be concerned about themselves anyway, its the bike that suffers

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2013 :  4:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, Karl.

Victor, all that embedded Matrix training must have kicked in mid-air for you to pull off such a smooth tuck-and-roll. Stillness in action, baby. Glad you're still hanging with us on the Earth plane.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  10:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Karl for having the proper perspective
Actually the bike is in the process of being resurrected. I have bought a new windscreen, front wheel and fork tubes and a very generous new friend from Canada is sending me a replacement fairing for a ridiculously low price. I pulled the damaged hard bags off and replaced them with an old leather bag set and the rest of the bike looks intact so... hoping that by tues or wed to at least road test her. Got to get back on the horse as they say

Edited by - Victor on Mar 31 2013 10:44:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Roberto

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  7:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dearest Victor,

To hear about your accident was really scary, but also very inspiring.You have been of so much help to us kechari rookies, I've read your past posts and am so grateful for all the good advice. I think I'm actually at St 2 hehe, but this is not why this is being posted...
First is to say, So glad that your are safe. Just don't use all of your miracles at once. My feeble post is this dear Victor...
Woosa is hopefully getting oout of the snow this holiday, or he would post this... Don't stretch the tongue while driving!! Car or Bike !!!

Peace Woosa (Adam ) may still belatedly give u grief about this in forums, now that it is clear u are ok, Hope that is OK.

Again, So Glad U Bounced Up and Got out of the ER so quick. Namaste

Rob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000