Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 OOBE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  7:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I have been following a spiritual teacher recently, that espouses Astral travel.

I figure I would like to learn it. It happened to me once, some years ago, but it happened naturally, when I was taking an afternoon nap.

But I never knew I could do it on my own.

So I did a little research last night bfre bed

It was a bit half hearted, bcoz part of the info says if you are not feeling in a good space, or going through some emotional turmoil, astral travel is not the best idea

So anyway, after I gave up, after a coupla mins, I felt this throbbing sensation at the base of my spine/tailbone

And then I realized that the pulse/throb sensation was actually in time with my breath.

Do you think this is part of the astral travel,or is this something else???

It was quite strong.

Blessings,

Maria

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  7:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maria,

I have never had a conscious oobe, though there was a time that I really wanted to have one. So I read a lot about it, techniques, experiences, etc.

From the many resources I read, they refer to a sensation that is strong, like buzzing all over the body, it may begin small and then grow (when your body is beginning to sleep but the mind is awake and relaxed). Supposedly when you feel the buzz you are very close to astral projecting.

So I don't know if what you felt was this buzzing but I hope that gives you some good info

Be well

BTW I can give you a good resource if you're interested.

Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  9:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yonatan

I did a bit of research on Robert Munroe and also looking into Brian Mercer's work.

Yes, would be interested in the resource you have. Thanks!

P.S. Did you try the astral travel???

My body does sometimes vibrate when I am relaxing for sleep.

When I did experience the astral travel I felt myself being pulled out of my body, like being suctioned out, I guess is how I would describe it. I also felt such immense freedom and excitement at it, but it was short lived, i'm afraid. :)
Another thing, when this occurred, I was going though a particularly devout spiritual time in my life, and intuitively knew it sparked the astral travel,although I didn't consciously do it. :)
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  03:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, Maria.

I tried to Astral Project a couple of times but only got to phases where I was buzzing or I could feel parts of my energy body being stretched or come out of the body, but never got to the full out of body experience.

Have you bumped into things from Robert Bruce? He seems to be very experienced with the techniques and ways to get to projecting, and also the experiences in the astral dimensions. I read some very interesting things of his, and also surfed his astral projection forums, which give a lot of info and support for anyone trying to AP or for people already experiencing it.

His site is :

http://www.astraldynamics.com/

And the forums are at:

http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/forum.php

Enjoy
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  08:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thanks Yonatan!

Im especially loving reading the forum!!!

Namaste`
l

Maria
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  12:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
SparklingDiamond: if you do a regular practice like AYP, you are already learning this and much more. The lessons specify that this and other abilities do happen as effects along the path, much like pratyahara (expansion and introversion of sensory experiences), yoga nidra (yogic sleep), and other samadhis such as the ones actively cultivated with samyama aimed at furthering progress along the path.

I've mentioned somewhere how even standard psychology textbooks include PGO brainwave patterns that relate to 'the vibrations,' or at least the ordinary ones that I assume almost everyone talks about which are part of the wake-sleep transition. That's not to imply a reductionist approach, but to illustrate they could also be something very ordinary as part of sleep, as is sleep paralysis. They can be controlled and amplified in both frequency and intensity to the point where you become loose from the sleeping body, though to be fair it is hard to say whether intention alone can do this or the preparation beforehand.

About OBE practices: A more global sadhana approach works from the ground up in a way that acknowledges and works with maya or lila (illusion/play of duality/impermanence). The principle of the gunas (qualities) attempts to describe this relationship between spiritual practice (rajas, -activity), maya/lila (tamas, -inertia, suppression), and ~spiritual attainment/realization (sattva, -revealing, bliss, turiya/tita). Neglecting these can lead to unnecessary delays or possibly even regressions, and such advice coming from a diversity of spiritual teachers can't pass for dogma when the principles are undeniable based on observations in day to day life.

This isn't meant to downplay active explorations in different states of consciousness more than open an active dialogue on their role when viewed from a wide perspective. For those doing AYP, the simple advice is clear enough in the lessons.

When it comes to techniques, it can easily become overwhelming. From what I've read and experimented with, some more than others, it can be self-hypnosis, affirmations, help from spirit guides, chakra techniques (ex. sambhavi), binaural beats/brainwave entrainment, sleep deprivation or interruption, or a range of intentions and preparatory exercises like from Robert Bruce. It makes sense to provide a wide array of them, since some people might respond better to some more than others, or there can be creative and potentially powerful combinations like specific self-hypnosis techniques during lucid dreaming to go much deeper, something I'd like to try later on too.

In addition to this, the role of innate ability that some people easily demonstrate (biological predisposition? ripeness?) also can't be denied, along with common elements that apply not just to OBEs but to all other areas of living and human potential. This is where a global spiritual practice would make the most difference, and where no insight gained through any specific technique can replace.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  2:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Here is an AYP lesson written in 2005 on Astral Projection: http://www.aypsite.org/264.html
(The Secrets of Wilder novel referenced there has long since been available)

As a great sage once said, "Seek first the kingdom of heaven and everything else will be added."

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  6:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad that you're enjoying Maria
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  11:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to be really into OBE's. I found it is easiest if your body is cold, motionless and you stop your thoughts and try to "see" with your eyes closed.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  12:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

***As a great sage once said, "Seek first the kingdom of heaven and everything else will be added."***

Sigh!! Why Can't I just get that into my head???!!

There are sooo many distractions in this world.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  12:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks AumNaturel!

I will put your words to practise

I have been out of the meditation loop for a while now. Once I got the extreme overload from SB and deep meditation, it kind of put me off a bit.

Will be back into it

A spiritual teacher I am following really emphasises on astral travel to learn more about the meaning of life, why we are here etc etc, and says meditation is good, but is more of a passive approach, and takes much much longer to find the answers to these questions.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  12:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish

How did astral travel benefit you?

the thing is the coupla times it happened to me, I didn't initiate it at all. It just happened spontaneously

the last couple of nights of trying to astral travel hasn't worked yet
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  10:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just realized that when I was going through a strong spiritual devotion in my life, was when the spontaneous astral travel occurred

I guess spiritual devotion can do that, provoke siddhi abilities.

Interesting is that when I am heavy into my spiritual devotion, I have no interest in siddhi/psychic abilities, I am fully into surrendering to spiritual devotion.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  7:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SparklingDiamond

A spiritual teacher I am following really emphasises on astral travel to learn more about the meaning of life, why we are here etc etc

Even lucid dreaming can be inspirational, and not very hard to do depending on how much one is willing to force it, but it comes at a high price done this way with sleep deprivation. First few times, it was as close to an 'enlightening experience' as I could imagine just seeing the surroundings and then realizing you aren't actually somewhere and everything you see is all a part of you somehow created and sustained by you.

I've tried to astrally project with some success, riding the buzzing vibrations out, and even set up a remote viewing experiment that wasn't exactly successful, but in the end just came to embrace all such terms loosely. Somehow it doesn't do it justice reducing lucid dreaming to 'just imagination and thoughts like other dreams' but neither can I see astral projection living up to to validated reports of NDEs or of yogis who can induce that through meditation. But in the end, one could definitely act as a gateway to facilitate the other, since they all share and rely on the same basic elements that stand at the core of daily practice.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  10:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks AumNaturel

Have to decided to put my energies elsewhere. At the end of the day, Spiritual unfoldment, is more important.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000