Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Meditation Routine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

springfox13

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  3:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone!!
Im new here but not new to meditation practices in general. Ive practiced meditation,Pranayama,kriya breathing,ect for about 15 years or so. Problem is its so hard to stick to one meditation routine! Ive had 2 month meditations and some i did for almost a year but usually i add different pranayamas and stuff all the time. When i sit down and put all these techniques down on paper and try process of elimination it can take weeks because im kind of a perfectionist. I spent a couple years keeping a journal and doing whatever meditation i felt like doing that day. Is it better to pick 1 routine and stick with it for years or is it ok to do whatever one feels? How can i make up my mind without reading a book or something and all of a sudden be tempted by a new technique? Please help.

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  6:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Springfox,

Welcome to the forums!!

Very good question. Everyone has a different perspective on this. I'll share mine, for what it is worth.

Like you, I had tried various techniques for about 10-12 years before finding this site. Those included breath-centered, mantra-centered and silence/awareness-centered meditations, etc. I also tried two different types of kriya yoga routines.The AYP deep meditation is the only one I've been motivated to stick to, for several reasons. One - it gave me the quickest results, and two - I deeply appreciate this self-propelled system, where practices can be added/deleted/modified according to one's own inner calling. I also appreciate not being tied to any one system - when one particular pranayama does not seem to work for me, I let it go and try some other type suited for my temperament. Through the years of being with AYP, I have experimented with other techniques while still keeping a steady baseline of DM.

The one thing I suggest is that you give this (or whatever else you're drawn to) a good trial. This means, for example, consistent DM practice for at least 2-3 months (rough estimate). My personal advice is to have one "core" practice that you've found to be beneficial (in AYP, that honor goes to DM) and experiment with adding others.

Hope this helps.

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  9:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Springfox,

prior to AYP, my practices also constantly varied by nature of the system I was learning. It became chaotic and unrealistic, altering between svadhyaya, contemplation, sitting meditation, and different practices that I was also experimenting with on my own. From the start, it was clear it was too much to fit in an ordinary day. Most could not be squeezed together, and the only option of alternating by days of the week was also not appealing since they would lose their continuity (and also harder to see what effect they were really having). Along the frantic search, I started narrowing-in on what called out to me the most, which quite naturally led in the direction of finding the Easy Lessons volume. I've been at it steadily, twice daily, ever since.

I'm not sure if there's anything I can really add. Everyone's got their own personal approach and perspective. Beyond that, there is a general consensus about constant application of some method over the long term, one that can be validated by observing any event in the natural world. The common analogy used here in the lessons is that of digging a well. The present moment in time also comes with its own set of opportunities, and we are constantly being asked what to make of them, here and now. Passing on them now could mean waiting a long time until they present themselves again. These are just some examples that may help clarify the path whenever things seem out of order.

Best of luck on your sadhana.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  11:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel
[The present moment in time also comes with its own set of opportunities, and we are constantly being asked what to make of them, here and now.

...ahhh....nice!...thx aumnatural...
Go to Top of Page

springfox13

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2013 :  2:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It can be very hard for me sometimes to figure out what meditation to do or why to even practice but i know the health benefits are numerous and meditation also helps you in your current relationships with people among other things. But there is a whole other spiritual reason i think about sometimes and that has to do with what happens when a person dies? Maybe we need to accumulate life force before death to build up ones spirit or astral body to help with the journey? In this case maybe Qigong is a better option? But if the secret is being able to let go when we die maybe meditation is more important? Who knows the truth?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000