Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mula Bandha during Deep Meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is mula bandha intended to be used only during pranayama, or can we employ it during deep meditation as well? This question applies to the other bandhas as well.

I seem to have finally figured out the proper method, and it's no longer feeling like an effort to maintain it. It's actually seeming natural now and while in deep meditation I find myself wanting to do it. It does become a bit of a mental distraction at times, probably because of it being new.

Wasn't sure if bandhas should be avoided in deep meditation or not.

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  3:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yogaman

Is mula bandha intended to be used only during pranayama, or can we employ it during deep meditation as well?

Hi Yogaman,

Good question. Here is an answer from Lesson 55:

"During meditation, we don't deliberately do any of the practices we are doing in pranayama. If we find ourselves in mulabandha in meditation, we don't favor it or push it out. We just easily come back to the mantra. We want to keep our meditation as simple and pure as possible – just that simple procedure of using the mantra."
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2013 :  6:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@bewell - thanks! I actually read back over that lesson but missed that. Yogani's lessons are so packed with info it's easy to overlook :) I had a feeling this was the answer.

Seems the general rule is always "easily go back to the main focus of the technique, if it happens, that's OK too".
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  08:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Yogani's lessons reward re-reading. When I'm participating on the Support Forum, I'm re-reading lessons, or finding lessons I had not read before. So, thanks to your question, my understanding of that lesson is refreshed.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2013 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaman,
Gentle bandhas becoming an everyday-life habit are a good sign, but in meditation, they're just scenery like everything else except your mantra.

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Mar 09 2013 2:57:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  3:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks HathaTeacher. I decided to scale back on the bandhas for now. Mula is tricky combined with spinal breathing, and I think it's distracting me from the main practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000