Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Grounding Activity!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  8:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends,

I've tried different grounding activities when I’m overloading like walking in nature, cleaning, eating heavy food. But, for me watching reality shows works the best. I have been experiencing the witness state lately. However, Sunday morning signs of overloading started. I tried all the other grounding activities. I woke up with the same feeling next morning. So, I decided to watch reality shows online. After watching two episodes, the overloading symptoms disappeared and I was back to the same happy place. It worked this time too-It's like taking a magic pillJust wanted to share this.

Love,
Sunyata

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  9:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, which shows?
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  10:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mmmmmm... All the "Real Housewives" .
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  10:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can relate to this diversion. When I overload myself with spiritual material (too many books, too much bhakti), sometimes I will watch a movie or TV show that is particularly "non-spiritual" and trivial in its content. I like "Sherlock"...the BBC crime-solving mystery mini-series. It's like "mental grounding".

I don't watch any shows regularly, but I find it somewhat necessary to dip into the mainstream and have some connection to pop culture from time to time. But I kind of feel sorry for the people who use TV as their primary emotional stimulus (I used to do it in the dreary days of addiction and depression)...but then again, to each his own. Whatever works. I just want to fully live my life and watch my own comedic drama unfold before I get too enmeshed in somebody else's story. We are each individual heroes in our personal and collective mythologies, but I think this is often missed in our celebrity culture and obsession with fame/fortune.

Joseph Campbell, master of mythology, said it best: "Follow your bliss!"
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  10:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

mmmmmm... All the "Real Housewives" .

I watch music videos, a lot.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  10:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Bodhi for sharing your wisdom. Just like you mentioned, I used to watch a lot of TV before. Since, my awakening two years ago, I lost all interest in watching TV and movies. Slowly, I'm trying to integrate everything.Most of my time is spent on serving my family, working,reading spiritual literature, listening to bhajans and attending weekly satsang. I would have never thought that I would be doing these things few years ago. Anyhoo, we both agree that watching some mindless shows is very grounding.

Goodway~ I watch music videos every now and then :)

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  10:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Thank You Bodhi for sharing your wisdom. Just like you mentioned, I used to watch a lot of TV before. Since, my awakening two years ago, I lost all interest in watching TV and movies. Slowly, I'm trying to integrate everything.Most of my time is spent on serving my family, working,reading spiritual literature, listening to bhajans and attending weekly satsang. I would have never thought that I would be doing these things few years ago. Anyhoo, we both agree that watching some mindless shows is very grounding.

Goodway~ I watch music videos every now and then :)

Sunyata

I love music. Can't get enough of it.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  10:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree! Some songs takes me to a different dimension. It's meditating with eyes wide open while grooving to the beats
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  10:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

I can relate to this diversion. When I overload myself with spiritual material (too many books, too much bhakti), sometimes I will watch a movie or TV show that is particularly "non-spiritual" and trivial in its content. I like "Sherlock"...the BBC crime-solving mystery mini-series. It's like "mental grounding".

I don't watch any shows regularly, but I find it somewhat necessary to dip into the mainstream and have some connection to pop culture from time to time. But I kind of feel sorry for the people who use TV as their primary emotional stimulus (I used to do it in the dreary days of addiction and depression)...but then again, to each his own. Whatever works. I just want to fully live my life and watch my own comedic drama unfold before I get too enmeshed in somebody else's story. We are each individual heroes in our personal and collective mythologies, but I think this is often missed in our celebrity culture and obsession with fame/fortune.

Joseph Campbell, master of mythology, said it best: "Follow your bliss!"

As a traveler and nature-lover, I find myself in a place where music and television suit me well. I do still love the woods, but after a couple years high in the mountains and long, earnest travels, I appreciate resonating with the people that have walked on different paths than myself. I don't really like pop, or the misery encouraged by "the industry," but art lives regardless of the industry's attempts to cage it.

Edited by - Goodway on Feb 27 2013 10:25:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  11:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes...art, music, writing, film = tools of transcendence. The AYP community seems to attract very creative souls...
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  11:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Yes...art, music, writing, film = tools of transcendence. The AYP community seems to attract very creative souls...

This it does.

Edited by - Goodway on Feb 27 2013 11:47:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000