Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Ready for pranayama? Rest period?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solas

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  06:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Second post here from Ireland and once again a huge thank you to everyone involved in this wonderful resource. I have used meditation on the breath on and off for a few years but since discovering this practice, have really taken to it and I feel I am already reaping the rewards. Just a couple of questions is someone wouldn't mind answering.

I have been deep meditating for a few weeks now and am planning to introduce the spinal breathing at about the four weeks mark. My question is how do I know I am ready for it. To describe myself, I am not very aware of differences taking place within me unless they are very noticeable and I don't want to start the practice unless I am ready. I have read on here that it is a powerful practice so I am approaching with care.

My second question is on the rest period after meditation. I have been taking five minutes as this is what I feel comfortable at but I have read here that ten minutes should be the minimum. Maybe, I could get a few opinions on this. Is there serious consequences if I do not take enough time to come out? How important is this to the practice?

Looking forward to some light being shed on these questions if anyone can help.

Thanks, David

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  08:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,
Yes, you can start spinal breathing if you have been feeling stable in your practice of deep meditation. Keep an eye on how things go with this practice, if it feels a bit much, cut it down to 5 min.
Rest can be between 1 to 10 min or more... the idea is to rest till you feel like you can get up and move into the world without taking the meditative state with you. If 5 min feels enough for you, then 5 min is perfect for you. After adding spinal breathing you may feel like you need a bit more rest, or not... go with what feels right for you.

Wish you all the best!!!
Go to Top of Page

solas

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  03:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Shanti

Thank you so much for the guidance. That was exactly what I was looking for. It's so useful to be able to post these questions here as the practice progresses and problems arise. I will take your advice and see how it goes. Have a wonderful weekend!

David
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad it helped David!
You have a wonderful weekend as well!
Much love!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000