Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Newcomer from Ireland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solas

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  11:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I just want to start by sending my blessings to the author and everyone involved in this site. It's an amazing place and made all the more special because it's not somewhere that's trying to capitalise on your interest. I seemed to stumble across it a few weeks ago even though I wasn't particularly looking for it. It just seemed to lead from one site to another and ended up here. Something, I'm very happy about and very grateful for.

I have used meditation on and off for a few years dealing with issues of addiction and negative thinking in general. I'm not sure what it is about this technique or is it just a placebo effect but even though I have only been using deep meditation a few weeks and have yet to introduce pranayama breathing, I am feeling a change happen inside me which my previous attempts at meditation have not yielded.

Having listened to the Carson Li interview, so much of what he said and indeed Yogani's writings ring so through with me. I am forty and have spent most of these years looking outwards for the answers that lie inside me. Because of the way this is setup, I'm not trying to get in the right frame of mind when in practice. I have just been carrying it out every morning and evening and letting it flow if that makes sense.

One question I do have is that I used to practice breathing meditation and sometimes I find my breath syncing with the mantra. Is there any harm in this? I'm not trying to do it, it just happens and sometimes feels more comfortable to me.

I would also be curious to here feedback from anyone who came to this with similar issues to mine and have found true solice in it. I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to make this thread so my apologies on advance if it is

Anyway, as I said, thanks to all involved in this. It truly is making a difference in peoples lives and touching places that otherwise would lay hidden behind the worries of this life.

David

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  12:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello David,

Welcome here :)

It's nice hearing your story and beautiful experience with the techniques and teachings..
I felt very grateful too upon finding this website and still happily here ever since :)

I think your post is on the right page. If not, moderators will find a better placement.

Like you, before practicing DM (deep meditation) I was observing the breath as a meditation. In the beginning stages of practicing DM I also experienced a tendency of synchronizing breath and mantra. This faded away after a while of simply favouring the mantra.
No harm at all. Nothing to worry about. Just easily favour the mantra whatever happens / wherever attention happens to be; whether breath is in sync with the mantra or not. You could view the breath as a thought that passes by and treat it as such during meditation (i.e. just letting it be there when it comes and continuing favouring the mantra). The mantra is your favourite whatever happens :)

As for your other question.. I guess we all have some tendencies that we could call "addiction" or conditioning. Any conditioning tends to fade with the DM is my experience.

Warm wishes,
Omsat

Edited by - Omsat on Feb 16 2013 12:49:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

solas

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  12:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Omsat,

Lovely to meet you and thanks for the words of advice. I suppose it's just the way my brain is wired, I constantly analyse everything. I think that is why I find this meditation so helpful. It's like a couple of breaks from the onslaught of thoughts every day, a weekend away from my brain That same brain tends to question what's going to happen? how long will it take? Is this it? you know, questions of the ego. My grasp of it is to view the brain as an organ that produces thoughts and we are to move to a place of realising that we are not our thoughts. I am finding this already even after such a short time at the practice. Maybe my previous working with meditation is moving me along faster. If you have the time, can you tell me what kundalini is in a few short words? Lovely to speak to you.

David
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  3:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again David :)

Yes, you put it beautifully :)
Mind likes to think and analyze its way through life, and meditation gives it a little holiday which actually carries through throughout the day and night..

Literally, kundalini (a Sanskrit word) means "coiled" (kunda) "serpent" (lini). It is energy (life force) contained at the base of the spine. With yoga practices (or other elevating happenings) this energy may start moving upwards. When this movement is nicely flowing (along Sushumna nadi) it is compared to the upwards sliding of a snake (cfr. shape of DNA), hence the name.

In Chinese art the metaphor is one of a dragon rather than the serpent of Indian and Egyptian traditions. Whatever the representation, the great civilizations have known, described and depicted this mysterious kundalini in awe and admiration.

More information on kundalini by yogani can be found here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=284

And for fun: Some expression of blissful joy while praising kundalini:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvhzbO4Ifzw

Enjoy your explorations :)

Omsat

quote:
Originally posted by solas

Hello Omsat,

Lovely to meet you and thanks for the words of advice. I suppose it's just the way my brain is wired, I constantly analyse everything. I think that is why I find this meditation so helpful. It's like a couple of breaks from the onslaught of thoughts every day, a weekend away from my brain That same brain tends to question what's going to happen? how long will it take? Is this it? you know, questions of the ego. My grasp of it is to view the brain as an organ that produces thoughts and we are to move to a place of realising that we are not our thoughts. I am finding this already even after such a short time at the practice. Maybe my previous working with meditation is moving me along faster. If you have the time, can you tell me what kundalini is in a few short words? Lovely to speak to you.

David

Edited by - Omsat on Feb 16 2013 3:29:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

solas

Ireland
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  4:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again Osram There is a lot to discover here, I will enjoy the journey, De reir a cheile a thogtar na caisleain (it takes time to build castles) David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000