Enlightenment Milestones
 Pride
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Thought I would share something that I noticed the other day, maybe some of you have noticed the same.

I realized that I no longer have the thoughts and feelings of "pridefulness" coming up much anymore. Recently I've been able to accomplish some stuff that in the past I would not have been able to stop myself from gloating to others about and really trying to focus attention on so that others can see what a good job I'm doing and how hard I am working. This is not happening anymore. In fact, what has replaced it is this feeling of amazement and wonderment at what life is capable of pulling off using this body/mind as a vehicle. There is no sense of ownership over what happens anymore. This is a great relief and has made things infinitely more enjoyable here, so thought I would share.

Love,
Carson

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  2:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Watch out for it... just because we don't see it does not mean it is not still there in a very sneaky way...

But yes, as the "me" dissolves the obvious "pride", "need to defend" etc falls away.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  2:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Watch out for it... just because we don't see it does not mean it is not still there in a very sneaky way...

Thanks Shanti.

Yes, I'm still watching for it (and anything else that comes up), I was just surprised to notice that it isn't coming up like it used to. Doesn't mean it isn't there, I agree, just meant to share that I am noticing an increasing amount of distance between what is being done and the sense that I am doing it.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  2:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just pulling your leg Carson... it is a huge relief when the need to defend oneself falls away and every moment becomes a release into stillness.
Love you!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2013 :  9:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you posted this, Carson. As usual, you have a good way of shedding light on some core issues in a simple, honest way. Direct and to the point.

For me, it's incredibly important to distinguish between ego vs. pride. As you imply, there's nothing inherently wrong with the body/mind. It's the excessive identification, gloating, and obsession with any accomplishments that lead to the problems. That's why I get so flustered when many spiritual teachers target the ego as an enemy. I think they would be wise to use pride, arrogance, greed (and other such ego aberrations) in their pedantic vocabulary. If you equate "ego" to "pride", then I guess it's just a verbal confusion, but I define "ego" as body/mind, and "pride" as obsession and over-glorification of body/mind.

For the body and mind are sacred and miraculous tools for unfolding the divine potential within us. It is the extra baggage of pride, self-pity, shame, personality worship, etc. that gets in the way of the ego's self-realization. As Yogani says, the ego is the vehicle for enlightenment.

Lately, I have absurb thoughts in my mind. Absolutely absurb thoughts that boast about my musical genius and writing. But they never last very long, and I laugh them off immediately. I never believe them or give them merit. On the flip side of the coin, sometimes I have demeaning and hopeless thoughts about my work and play, talent and pursuits, but these are very easily released as well. In fact, it can be a fun game watching my mind release these thoughts.

What outweighs any proud or self-demeaning thoughts is the inner silence and witness that is impartial to inner or outer opinion. Samyama is so incredibly useful in being consistent and universal in the qualities I am cultiviting for the ego to manifest in daily activity.

I ask the recurring question: are my creative, professional, and personal endeavors actually helping those that surround me (including my body/mind)? When that question is asked from the witness persective and released into stillness, I find I am getting good results. It's a great freedom not identifying with thoughts of pride or shame (both are the same, in a way).

C.S. Lewis wrote that "spiritual pride" was the greatest enemy of any Christian, and I think we can apply that to any tradition (including the non-religious practice of yoga and meditation). At the end of the day, I don't care who I am pronounced to be (by virtue of labels or external commentary)--it's the inner silence, serenity, and lovely flow of ecstatic bliss that are such excellent barometers of my spiritual condition. And that ecstatic bliss is verified most especially in the company of friends, family, and beyond.

Thanks for throwing this out there! Pride is such a better word than ego, in my opinion.

Peace be with you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000