Enlightenment Milestones
 pain in the neck and shoulders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  04:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
although i do asanas, over here lately there is some pain in the neck and shoulders blades that are connected to the neck

this pain is weird not the regular pain due to lack of movement

it is happening inside the neck and going slighly up towards the medulla oblongota or somewhere near it

sometimes it triggers a bit of acitivity in the ajna and a slight headache/diziness/ecstasy and shivers

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  8:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari,

Sorry to hear about your pains.

Do you practice inversions (Sirsasana and Sarvangasana)?

In case you do, this may be relevant to you:
I had severe issues with neck & shoulders at some point when doing these postures regularly for longer times. They arose quickly due to relatively fast increased duration of holding the postures. These issues can come also even if not holding the postures long, then at a later stage in practice.

If you are practicing these asanas, you may see if dropping them gives relief. And, in the meantime you could give more attention to the Sarvangasana counter poses: Matsyasana (Fish), Paschimottanasana, Purvottanasana (Inclined plane), and especially Chakrasana which gives great relief to neck and shoulders, while also strengthening the shoulders. In general working with the shoulders (both strengthening and flexibility exercises) works marvellous in the long run. Working on strength and flexibility for their own sake is also very grounding, which may be relevant in your case as you mention kundalini activity in ajna.
In Savasana it may help to elevate the neck by letting the head rest on a pillow or the like and to gently visualize the shoulders sink deeper into the floor.

Wish you relief and peace,

Sat

quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

although i do asanas, over here lately there is some pain in the neck and shoulders blades that are connected to the neck

this pain is weird not the regular pain due to lack of movement

it is happening inside the neck and going slighly up towards the medulla oblongota or somewhere near it

sometimes it triggers a bit of acitivity in the ajna and a slight headache/diziness/ecstasy and shivers

Edited by - Omsat on Jan 29 2013 8:24:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2013 :  9:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari,

This is typical of kundalini activity as it intensifies in the higher part of the body. It is a sign that you need to cut back on your practice times whilst things settle down.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  01:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Omsat thank you so much for yr suggestions ...yes i do practice all the postures you mentioneed above since many many years...this body is very used to them and hold them for long time....i dont think that asanas are the reason of this pain because till now asanas are a good relief and grounding tool (grounding kundalini)
there might be pain but there is no suffering

@Christi this is what i suspected...anyway ia m not doing sitting practices since last october because i had several episodes of severe overload...currently i am only doing asanas (average 20 minutes per day-asanas still ground me) and Samyama (only in the evening) and more self less work...thank you for your explanatory reply
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  12:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari (lovely name :)),

Happy to hear thou owned a strong and healthy body; and that
pain goes without sufferance :)

I forgot to mention something. This was a time when I was doing many hours of practices as I was in a retreat-like phase. In those days, focusing on ajna chakra just for as little as half a minute caused me symptoms as you describe.
Reading Christi's post makes me realize the reason for these symptoms may well have been much more related to over-practice than to physical challenge as was put forward to me by friend-yogis at the time who explained their experience this way.
The symptoms subsided after I strongly diminished amount of practices and enjoyed "practicing" other aspects of life :)
Even though asanas generally have a grounding effect, be aware that Sirsasana and Sarvangasana activate the higher chakras, possibly causing extra kundalini activity..

Much love to you, enjoy play and grounding ;)
Sat

quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

@ Omsat thank you so much for yr suggestions ...yes i do practice all the postures you mentioneed above since many many years...this body is very used to them and hold them for long time....i dont think that asanas are the reason of this pain because till now asanas are a good relief and grounding tool (grounding kundalini)
there might be pain but there is no suffering

@Christi this is what i suspected...anyway ia m not doing sitting practices since last october because i had several episodes of severe overload...currently i am only doing asanas (average 20 minutes per day-asanas still ground me) and Samyama (only in the evening) and more self less work...thank you for your explanatory reply

Edited by - Omsat on Jan 30 2013 12:32:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  1:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
these symptoms may well have been much more related to over-practice than to physical challenge as was put forward to me by friend-yogis at the time who explained their experience this way.
The symptoms subsided after I strongly diminished amount of practices and enjoyed "practicing" other aspects of life :)
Even though asanas generally have a grounding effect, be aware that Sirsasana and Sarvangasana activate the higher chakras, possibly causing extra kundalini activity..

very correct
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  4:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000