Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I AM mantra: think it or "hear" it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  08:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm probably over thinking this, but I'm curious if there's any distinction between thinking of the phrase or actively imagining someone speaking the phrase?

It may be a subtle distinction, but I find that I can either just think the mantra, or I can imagine that I am hearing it being spoken. Does it matter which is used? It's much easier for me to just "think" it.

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  08:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
First thought on this is to go with either, and then when returning to the mantra, to choose whichever is finer.
I think I know what you mean by hearing it being spoken, since I too can imagine it being voiced (eg. changing it to a female voice with imagination). As long as the basic procedure is in place, such slight variations might not matter, though I've only done DM for almost two years.
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  02:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was re-listening to the Deep Meditation audiobook and got the answer to my question:

"Clear pronunciation is not a requirement in deep meditation. The deeper we are, the fuzzier the mantra will be”

"We never try to regulate the experience we are having. Deep meditation is not about regulating experiences. It is about following the simple procedure of the practice, no matter what the experience may be"
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  9:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You nailed it. Nice investigative journalism.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000