Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Using sexual energy for spiritual purposes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ClayTheScribe

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  12:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit ClayTheScribe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm a 27-year-old guy living in Denver. I'm also a practicing Buddhist and level II reiki practitioner. I'm getting ready to start doing yoga next week. I'm also a virgin. Anyway, I was recently inspired to take a vow of complete chastity (no masturbation) after reading Rubin "Hurricane" Carter achieved a level of spiritual awakening by abstaining and using that sexual energy for spiritual purposes while in prison. I was also inspired by a friend saying human beings need sexual gratification and how I didn't agree with that and wanted to prove him wrong at least to myself. I'm also kind of tired of masturbation--as great as it feels it's almost become a chore. Anyway I have been abstaining for four days and I'm starting to experience certain side effects I've experienced before when I try to do this such as fuzzy headedness, jitteriness and anger/irritability. Today I started trying to move that energy from my root to my crown chakra in meditation but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right and if anyone can give me any yogic techniques in that vain. I'm looking to use that energy for creative purposes and for overall purposes of spiritual awakening. I am aware none of this will happen overnight and it will require patience, but I just want to know how I can better move that energy and decrease the nasty side effects or at least when they will subside.

Thanks,

Clay

P.S. I'm aware others have probably posted the exact same thing on here, but I didn't see anything in a cursory glance and I'm frankly too lazy to look haha.

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  02:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Clay,
Two things came to my mind from your post. One that you are 27 and a virgin and two that going 4 days without masturbation is causing you symptoms. this is leading me to think that both your habit of masturbation as well as perhaps some of the spiritual practice may be a form of avoidance of relations with women ( or men if that is your inclination sexually). I do support your attempt at lengthening your cycle and do believe that you will feel a new sense of magnetism and strength from going without ejaculation for longer periods. When I was your age a typical cycle for me was about two weeks but I did work up to that. Now in my 50s it is more typically 3 to 6 weeks or so though it varies. I think that the one week point should show some new positive results. That said, I would also encourage you to rather than try to shut off your sexuality at your age to try to explore actual relationships as well. That sexual energy is like a sexual bank account. If you spend every day it doesn't leave you with much in the bank. This is possibly part of the reason that you have never crossed that virginity line. It is good to have something to spend if you are spending it with a partner. Women can sense this and you may be surprised by how they respond to you. Not trying to put down your spiritual aspirations, quite the contrary. With time they will mature and grow but it is my opinion that before one renounces something that they should experience it first and know what they are giving up ( or avoiding). I also urge you to read the tantra lessons on this site to get an idea of the AYP approach to sexual energy. You may find it very helpful.
Best of luck with your practices.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  03:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Today I started trying to move that energy from my root to my crown chakra in meditation but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right and if anyone can give me any yogic techniques in that vain.

Hi Clay,

To move your sexual energy upward trough your spine, you need to master the pelvic floor which implies mulabandha and asvani mudra. I suggest you read Yogani on tantra and also this little book:

http://www.amazon.com/Moola-Bandha-...e+master+key

When you practice masturbation, stop soon enough before the point of no return (you can use the count method, lesson T23) then you contract, release the perineum, then the anus, then the muscles around the coccyx, then you begin to move the sacrum back and forth. You will feel the energy going upward.
Of course, it is better to practice also asanas to have a good flexibility of the spine.

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

ClayTheScribe

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2013 :  4:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit ClayTheScribe's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Buffle37

quote:
Today I started trying to move that energy from my root to my crown chakra in meditation but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right and if anyone can give me any yogic techniques in that vain.

Hi Clay,

To move your sexual energy upward trough your spine, you need to master the pelvic floor which implies mulabandha and asvani mudra. I suggest you read Yogani on tantra and also this little book:

http://www.amazon.com/Moola-Bandha-...e+master+key

When you practice masturbation, stop soon enough before the point of no return (you can use the count method, lesson T23) then you contract, release the perineum, then the anus, then the muscles around the coccyx, then you begin to move the sacrum back and forth. You will feel the energy going upward.
Of course, it is better to practice also asanas to have a good flexibility of the spine.

Good luck

Yeah I don't know half those terms or how to do that. I tried going without for seven days and noticed mostly negative results such as increased irritability, pressure near my cranium and an overall feeling of fuzziness and not the desirable kind. I think I will go with my the first replier's suggestion of trying to engage with people (I'm bisexual). Yes, it was a form of avoidance of engaging with a potential partner, I just thought since I've never had sex, it would be easier now to go without. I was wrong.
Go to Top of Page

astralprojectee

USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2013 :  9:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We'll I do know that in the beginning of doing solo cultivation with masturbation abstention which is what I think you are trying to do; a master said that you should cum and release sexual tension and that it can be unhealthy to hold it in. I admit some guys naturally don't take to masturbation, but most of those guys are not healthy either mentally or physically. Only once you have really started to master your bodies energies would it be healthy to stop masturbation, other than that I think it's a bad idea. That's my 2 cent.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  02:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great input from all. I'd just say your symptoms might have got to do with the frequency you masturbated before. Some might come from a quite extreme place with 3-4 orgasms/day, and then to suddenly stop will certainly bring a lot of abstinence symptoms (mental and physical) due to the dopamine system in the brain. Those symptoms will subside after a while, but the emotions underlying sexual cravings may continue to bubble up, which is good. That's a wanted result, so that we cannot surpress and hide from ourselves anylonger.

Wish you all the best in your phase of withdrawal from orgasm and cultivation of sexual energy!
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  03:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My husband had a similar pattern of masturbation before he began doing tantric practices. At first he found it very irritating to hold back the orgasm and had some negative side effects. However, after some practice (solo and together) he said he felt really good and couldn't believe how much more energy he had! It took a month or so to level out. Now he only comes once or twice a month and says he would not want to go back to losing the energy like he used to. However, he is much older than you (47) and the frequency of emission is more for younger men. Also it is important that you are doing pranayama and other sitting practices to move the energy up, as tantra (solo or with a partner) is not a stand-alone practice. BTW, I was happily celibate for 14 years but that was AFTER much experimentation. I can't imagine making such a choice without having had any experience... In any case, all the best to you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000