Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 please, pray for me now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I overdid my SBP + Meditation and I'm feeling very unbalanced like my blood pressure is going up.

Could someone here pray for me to help me out balancing my energies so I can start over in a couple of days time.

Please, do this for me because I'm feeling very unwell. I promised myself I wouldn't overdo it again.

Thank you

Edited by - digofarias on Jan 21 2013 12:46:23 PM

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  1:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For the first couple years of practicing ayp i was often tempted by the idea that more had to be better..i learned the hard way that is really not the case. This too shall pass and hopefully you will strive for balance and reduce when needed, it truly has made a huge difference for me. Live and learn! Sending you healing and grounding friend, i suggest going out and spending time in nature or with friends.:-)
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  1:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  3:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no words to describe how thankful I am for that! I got better! phew! I almost went to the hospital!

Thank you very much. My wife took my blood pressure and it was really high and my legs were shaking. Can you believe it? I had this sort of unstoppable gigantic flow of energy coming from my back flowing throughout the spine and body that I thought I was gonna have a heart attack and die.

Because of that I'm taking very seriously that I must be extremely careful when it comes to Spinal Breathing. How many days you advise me to wait to start it over again doing 5 minutes only?

PS: I did 20 minutes of SBP and 40 of meditation for four days only

Thanks again.

quote:
Originally posted by faileforever

For the first couple years of practicing ayp i was often tempted by the idea that more had to be better..i learned the hard way that is really not the case. This too shall pass and hopefully you will strive for balance and reduce when needed, it truly has made a huge difference for me. Live and learn! Sending you healing and grounding friend, i suggest going out and spending time in nature or with friends.:-)

Edited by - digofarias on Jan 21 2013 3:10:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  3:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, it worked! :)

quote:
Originally posted by Namath

Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  3:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very happy to hear you are feeling better, i completely understand how scary it can feel. I can only speak from my own experience with this but i would back off for at least a couple days or more and do things that involve being outside, eating heavily, hanging with friends..take your mind off the energy and practices and let it play out a bit more before you go back into it. Starting back up at only 5 minutes SBP is a good idea, are you going to cut back DM as well? I would do a fairly reduced session and then judge whether to continue or not depending on how you feel throughout the day...If you don't notice returning energy problems like irritability, excessive heat, shaking etc. then you have probably found a stable platform for practices that i would stick to for quite awhile before adding anything. Much love!
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  3:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I will definitely fall back DM to 20 minutes as well + 5 minutes of SBP. I'm just off now to breathe pure air and do something else ! Could you please confirm that after you had your bad experience everything went back to normal when you reduced the time, please? Does this energy flow fall back to a manageable amount when you do the self-pacing thing? I'm still a bit shocked, sorry to ask you a bit more detail !

Thank you again!

Love and Peace :)

quote:

Very happy to hear you are feeling better, i completely understand how scary it can feel. I can only speak from my own experience with this but i would back off for at least a couple days or more and do things that involve being outside, eating heavily, hanging with friends..take your mind off the energy and practices and let it play out a bit more before you go back into it. Starting back up at only 5 minutes SBP is a good idea, are you going to cut back DM as well? I would do a fairly reduced session and then judge whether to continue or not depending on how you feel throughout the day...If you don't notice returning energy problems like irritability, excessive heat, shaking etc. then you have probably found a stable platform for practices that i would stick to for quite awhile before adding anything. Much love!

Edited by - digofarias on Jan 21 2013 3:57:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

faileforever

USA
190 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2013 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will happily provide as much detail as you want from my own experience, no need to apologize . Yes, things will return to normal even if in this moment it doesn't feel that way. It can take a bit of time, so be patient and try not to focus on the energy, feeding it with fear and attention will not make things better. This is why going out and taking your mind off of it will greatly help, immerse yourself in things that take your attention off of the sensations. I have had episodes that take a bit of time to pan out and others that disappear as soon as i spent some time in nature..really cant stress enough how just being outside in the fresh air has grounded me and calmed the energies. Just be careful not to start practices until things have calmed for a bit of time, i often made the mistake of thinking i could start back up again as soon as the energy died down. Give it time, be patient with yourself and accepting of what is happening- remember this too shall pass!
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  06:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This thing is really dangerous when not practised properly. I told you in the other post I went out to get some air. Actually I went to a restaurant with my wife. As soon as I put 3 forks of food in my stomach my blood pressure went high and I almost fainted or died in the restaurant. I went to the hospital and things were normal there. Then I realised that the afternoon raised blood pressure was just after I had finished my lunch. I wonder if it has to with an over purified body and the chakras are overacting due to a food that doesn't belong to the same vibrational level? Have no idea. I kept hungry yesterday (didn't eat anything else). The good news is that I've just woken up and had a nice night sleep. I even talked to a monk from Self Realization Fellowship and he said he'd never heard of a case like this before and that Kriya is harmless, but I'm sure it has to do with me overdoing it. I'm very socked emotionally and now I'm afraid of eating until my energy re-stabilises again (hope it does!). However, it's good to post it here so everyone can see how dangerous it is to overdo SBP. Don't you think this experience is very weird? Yesterday the doctor asked me to go see a cardiologist. However, I don't believe it is a physical condition as I'm an athlete (play basketball 3 times a week), I eat organic healthy food, I do my medical check up exams twice a year and I remember that 2/3 years ago I did a heart ultrasound and everything was fine. Oh, and I'm only 29 !

quote:

I will happily provide as much detail as you want from my own experience, no need to apologize . Yes, things will return to normal even if in this moment it doesn't feel that way. It can take a bit of time, so be patient and try not to focus on the energy, feeding it with fear and attention will not make things better. This is why going out and taking your mind off of it will greatly help, immerse yourself in things that take your attention off of the sensations. I have had episodes that take a bit of time to pan out and others that disappear as soon as i spent some time in nature..really cant stress enough how just being outside in the fresh air has grounded me and calmed the energies. Just be careful not to start practices until things have calmed for a bit of time, i often made the mistake of thinking i could start back up again as soon as the energy died down. Give it time, be patient with yourself and accepting of what is happening- remember this too shall pass!

Edited by - digofarias on Jan 22 2013 07:33:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  1:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by digofarias here

Hi Guys,

I'm new in the forum. Hope you're well.

Yesterday was the fourth day of practice and I felt ecstasy all around my body all day long. The most affected region was the lower abdomen. It felt really great. Anxiety was gone and even washing up was a great pleasure. I was so full of energy that my wife complained about electrical shocks when I touched her.

Nevertheless, I didn't feel tired at night and I didn't fall into deep sleep which is weird for me because I used to sleep very well and deeply 99% of the time. I don't know if has to do with my body not used to feel this constant vibration in my back or if I'm overdoing it.

I woke up today very well and I'm not tired or feeling bad or heaviness in my head like the rare days when I didn't sleep well.

My question is: should I reduce Spinal Breathing Pranayama and/or Deep meditation time because of lack of sleeping even though I didn't feel bad at all? Was this non-deep sleeping a bad sign? I really tried to sleep. I kept moving right/left all night long and I probably fell asleep but not that much.

I'm currently doing 20 minutes of SBP and 40 minutes of DM once in the morning when I wake up and another time in the afternoon.

Thank you.

Hi digofarias:

Sorry you have been having difficulty. Don't worry, this will work itself out. It seems you have a combination of greatly overdoing with practices from the start (much too much!) combined with a possible sensitivity to deep meditation (DM), spinal breathing pranayama (SBP), or both. The big ecstatic experience followed by a big letdown is very common when overdoing practices. From that we learn that a more measured approach is necessary for steady long term progress. That is what the AYP writings are about.

On the practices side, it is not recommended to take on more than one practice at a time. Otherwise, if we run into difficulties, it will be hard to know which practice is doing what. So taking on both SBP and DM at the same time is not advised, especially not at twice the recommended practice times. Better to start DM within the recommended practice time and make sure that will be stable, and later, maybe much later, consider taking on SBP. Many think that the more the better, and now you know better. Because you overdid with two practices at once, it is hard to tell which practice is giving you the problem. So, as you were already advised here in the forum, better to stop all practices for a while, and then come back modestly with DM only, not more than 10 minutes twice a day for starters, and not anything else (including more DM) until you know you are stable. If you are still having difficulties with 10 minutes of DM, then that will be an indication that you are sensitive to meditation.

If it is determined that you are sensitive to meditation, then check Lessons 365-367, especially Lesson 367. What you will see there is that some people are sensitive to meditation, and there are some things we can do beyond basic self-pacing. In fact, sensitivity is on the rise in everyone around the world due to the opening of human consciousness everywhere, so this is becoming a challenge many are facing on the spiritual path, not only in AYP, but in the traditions as well. Sensitivity is not necessarily a bad thing. It means our nervous system wants to open all the way right now. Not very practical for reasons you have found out quickly. Purification and opening take time, or it can be very uncomfortable. So prudent management of practices is the watch-word for all of us.

Those who are sensitive often have strong bhakti (spiritual desire) as well, and it can be frustrating having to limit our practices so we can continue to function in the world. But that's how it is, and always has been for spiritually sensitive people. We seem to have many more of them now.

If someone gives us a Ferrari, we will be wise to start slow and get the feel of it, rather than press the accelerator to the floor the first time we get in it. Fortunately, the AYP practices are not that dangerous, but we can do damage to ourselves if we persist in overdoing for months and years. A few days of overdoing you should be able to recover from in fairly short order.

Regarding your current symptoms, it is suggested to see Lesson 69 on managing kundalini symptoms (that's what these are), skipping the spinal breathing remedy for now, since it may be causing some difficulty. You won't know for sure on that until you start over with DM much more modestly, and SBP much later after that. There are other things in that lesson that can be helpful. Grounding in daily activity is good, which you should continue, assuming your health checks out OK. In Ayurveda terms, your symptoms point to a "vata" imbalance, which is an excess of energy movement in the neurobiology, and that could also be contributing to your intermittent high blood pressure. Your symptoms seem to be both physical and psychological, like a panic attack, and you should be aware of that. The simple act of eating is not going to be a root cause of your symptoms, only if you think it is, and that plays into the psychological aspect. In fact, eating a bit heavier temporarily can help calm the energies down, as well as checking the "vata pacifying" diet suggestion link in Lesson 69. You can find a more easily readable version of these in the appendix of the Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli book, or in the back of AYP Easy Lessons Volume 2.

On the high blood pressure, that is pretty rare in AYP, since DM generally lowers high blood pressure. There have been a few exceptions over the years, so you should keep an eye on it. If you do a forum search on "blood pressure" and "hypertension" you will find topics discussing it.

I have been following your posts on this, and would suggest you post further information on your situation in only one topic (like here), as it is difficult to follow what is going on in three or more topics.

Yes, you are in my prayers, always. This will pass, and it is going to be alright.

AYP is an "open source" system of practices, and it is up to each individual to apply the practices with prudence. Overall the system has been used wisely with very good results for many, and I am sure it will be now by you also. We live and learn as we try the practices, and that is how we evolve toward a balanced approach that suits our nature. This works well for most, and avoids the long delays that can happen when knowledge is held back from the many to protect the few who might overdo it. With AYP the opportunity is there for the many, and everyone is obliged to find their balance. This would not work very well with Ferraris made freely available to everyone, but over the past ten years we have found that it does work quite well for spiritual practices. See Lesson 217 on this.

I wish you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Yogani

PS: While it may seem counter-intuitive, attending an AYP retreat can help stabilize energy imbalances both during and after the retreat. It has to do with the profoundly deep abiding inner silence that is cultivated in systematic group practice in retreat mode. That is not the first solution you should be seeking (better to get a handle on things at home first), but it is something to keep in mind for down the road. Lesson 387 gives a primer on retreats.
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, that's a very good response.

Somehow I know intuitively it was excessive SBP rather than DM that caused this violent reaction. In regards to the food thing I don't know for sure if it was the food itself, but I only realised it could be the food after the second bad experience in the evening when I immediately realised the other high blood pressure thing happened just after I had lunch in the afternoon! What a coincidence! Perhaps if it was something psychological I'd hesitate eating my meal in the afternoon or dinner? I had no idea. Plus I never had this thought at least consciously. On the contrary, I was very hungry in the restaurant and I wanted to eat voraciously my meal and only stopped after feeling very unwell and noticing I was having a similar reaction to the one I had in the afternoon. Very weird!

The good news is that it seems things are settling down well. I had coconut water and papaya for breakfast and a very light meal at lunch. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to start adding slightly heavier food. Hopefully it will work and I'll get 100% better. At the moment I still feel some minor energy in my back, but pleasurable.

I'd like to thank you very much for praying for me and I'm feeling deeply that I will get better! :)

quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by digofarias here

Hi Guys,

I'm new in the forum. Hope you're well.

Yesterday was the fourth day of practice and I felt ecstasy all around my body all day long. The most affected region was the lower abdomen. It felt really great. Anxiety was gone and even washing up was a great pleasure. I was so full of energy that my wife complained about electrical shocks when I touched her.

Nevertheless, I didn't feel tired at night and I didn't fall into deep sleep which is weird for me because I used to sleep very well and deeply 99% of the time. I don't know if has to do with my body not used to feel this constant vibration in my back or if I'm overdoing it.

I woke up today very well and I'm not tired or feeling bad or heaviness in my head like the rare days when I didn't sleep well.

My question is: should I reduce Spinal Breathing Pranayama and/or Deep meditation time because of lack of sleeping even though I didn't feel bad at all? Was this non-deep sleeping a bad sign? I really tried to sleep. I kept moving right/left all night long and I probably fell asleep but not that much.

I'm currently doing 20 minutes of SBP and 40 minutes of DM once in the morning when I wake up and another time in the afternoon.

Thank you.

Hi digofarias:

Sorry you have been having difficulty. Don't worry, this will work itself out. It seems you have a combination of greatly overdoing with practices from the start (much too much!) combined with a possible sensitivity to deep meditation (DM), spinal breathing pranayama (SBP), or both. The big ecstatic experience followed by a big letdown is very common when overdoing practices. From that we learn that a more measured approach is necessary for steady long term progress. That is what the AYP writings are about.

On the practices side, it is not recommended to take on more than one practice at a time. Otherwise, if we run into difficulties, it will be hard to know which practice is doing what. So taking on both SBP and DM at the same time is not advised, especially not at twice the recommended practice times. Better to start DM within the recommended practice time and make sure that will be stable, and later, maybe much later, consider taking on SBP. Many think that the more the better, and now you know better. Because you overdid with two practices at once, it is hard to tell which practice is giving you the problem. So, as you were already advised here in the forum, better to stop all practices for a while, and then come back modestly with DM only, not more than 10 minutes twice a day for starters, and not anything else (including more DM) until you know you are stable. If you are still having difficulties with 10 minutes of DM, then that will be an indication that you are sensitive to meditation.

If it is determined that you are sensitive to meditation, then check Lessons 365-367, especially Lesson 367. What you will see there is that some people are sensitive to meditation, and there are some things we can do beyond basic self-pacing. In fact, sensitivity is on the rise in everyone around the world due to the opening of human consciousness everywhere, so this is becoming a challenge many are facing on the spiritual path, not only in AYP, but in the traditions as well. Sensitivity is not necessarily a bad thing. It means our nervous system wants to open all the way right now. Not very practical for reasons you have found out quickly. Purification and opening take time, or it can be very uncomfortable. So prudent management of practices is the watch-word for all of us.

Those who are sensitive often have strong bhakti (spiritual desire) as well, and it can be frustrating having to limit our practices so we can continue to function in the world. But that's how it is, and always has been for spiritually sensitive people. We seem to have many more of them now.

If someone gives us a Ferrari, we will be wise to start slow and get the feel of it, rather than press the accelerator to the floor the first time we get in it. Fortunately, the AYP practices are not that dangerous, but we can do damage to ourselves if we persist in overdoing for months and years. A few days of overdoing you should be able to recover from in fairly short order.

Regarding your current symptoms, it is suggested to see Lesson 69 on managing kundalini symptoms (that's what these are), skipping the spinal breathing remedy for now, since it may be causing some difficulty. You won't know for sure on that until you start over with DM much more modestly, and SBP much later after that. There are other things in that lesson that can be helpful. Grounding in daily activity is good, which you should continue, assuming your health checks out OK. In Ayurveda terms, your symptoms point to a "vata" imbalance, which is an excess of energy movement in the neurobiology, and that could also be contributing to your intermittent high blood pressure. Your symptoms seem to be both physical and psychological, like a panic attack, and you should be aware of that. The simple act of eating is not going to be a root cause of your symptoms, only if you think it is, and that plays into the psychological aspect. In fact, eating a bit heavier temporarily can help calm the energies down, as well as checking the "vata pacifying" diet suggestion link in Lesson 69. You can find a more easily readable version of these in the appendix of the Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli book, or in the back of AYP Easy Lessons Volume 2.

On the high blood pressure, that is pretty rare in AYP, since DM generally lowers high blood pressure. There have been a few exceptions over the years, so you should keep an eye on it. If you do a forum search on "blood pressure" and "hypertension" you will find topics discussing it.

I have been following your posts on this, and would suggest you post further information on your situation in only one topic (like here), as it is difficult to follow what is going on in three or more topics.

Yes, you are in my prayers, always. This will pass, and it is going to be alright.

AYP is an "open source" system of practices, and it is up to each individual to apply the practices with prudence. Overall the system has been used wisely with very good results for many, and I am sure it will be now by you also. We live and learn as we try the practices, and that is how we evolve toward a balanced approach that suits our nature. This works well for most, and avoids the long delays that can happen when knowledge is held back from the many to protect the few who might overdo it. With AYP the opportunity is there for the many, and everyone is obliged to find their balance. This would not work very well with Ferraris made freely available to everyone, but over the past ten years we have found that it does work quite well for spiritual practices. See Lesson 217 on this.

I wish you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Yogani

PS: While it may seem counter-intuitive, attending an AYP retreat can help stabilize energy imbalances both during and after the retreat. It has to do with the profoundly deep abiding inner silence that is cultivated in systematic group practice in retreat mode. That is not the first solution you should be seeking (better to get a handle on things at home first), but it is something to keep in mind for down the road. Lesson 387 gives a primer on retreats.

Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  3:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to say thank you to everybody who helped me out and just to let you know that I'm recovering well and although I'm not eating heavy food yet I had no high blood pressure at all. Good stuff!

I can still feel that there is a latent pleasurable powerful energy in my back (same level as lower abdomen but in my back) and I'm kind of avoiding focusing on it until it fades away. My question 1: am I really doing the right thing? Or should I relax and let this pleasure flow throughout my body as long as I'm not doing any exercise at all?

My question 2 is: is it really going to fade away because of lack of practice? Or once woken up it's going to stay there for ever?

Question 3 is: along with this latent pleasurable powerful energy I can feel permanent ecstasy just below my bellybutton/navel. Is this something I should worry about? Is it going to fade away as well?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  7:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Please, Could someone answer my questions? I'm a bit scared with this permanent burning sensation in my back. I'm sleeping well and I'm not feeling bad, but I'm not used to this burning sensation in my back and I'd like to know if it's going to fade away since I've stopped all practices altogether!

Thank you!

Edited by - digofarias on Jan 23 2013 7:27:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  8:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here, I'll answer all three questions in one fell swoop: Chill out, bro. Chill out. All these things are normal and will stabilize.

Do some grounding activities. Take a walk. Feel the sunshine. Fold your laundry. Be of service in your personal and professional life. Proceed as normal and enjoy what's in front of you.

If you were a polar bear, you could relax on the ice and bask in the sunshine and absorb the cool breeze of the artic wind. You could stare at the horizon and be content with your huge coat of fur and simple life. Be the polar bear. You dig?

One day, your whole body with become like stillness vibrating constantly. A paradox. Progress is gradual, and if you're chill and relaxed about your self-pacing and expectations, the ecstatic bliss will be dished out in spoonfuls that you can swallow. Or, if you like, the watts of your light bulb will be increased in merciful increments...50, 55, 75, 125 (maybe some big jumps here and there )...but overall, it's smooth sailing, baby, so don't get caught up in all these symptoms and scenery, because it's ALL scenery.

Welcome to The Path
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  8:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Adding to Yogani's blood pressure answer:

This body here had a lot of breath, heart and blood pressure problems which came and went with the amount of DM primarily. SBP only does get problematic regarding blood pressure in this body if kundalini is in stronger swing and the breath suspends while on the upper end of the inhaling or exhaling phase for some time out of control. Otherwise it is pretty smooth.

So 2 times 10 minutes DM as advised by Yogani would be the hint from here aswell.

To your questions digofarias:

1. Everything is all right :) Just keep up the daily practice with an amount that is stable! for you.

2. The pressure will fade away and new pressures will appear and they will aswell fade away and all kind of energetic happenings will come and go. All in all the energetic condition will get smoother and smoother and the result will be increasing joy and love and beauty with less and less energetic symptoms.... until the next bigger and way more bigger extatic wave comes.... ;)... so no need to worry about what comes and goes, just keep going. It will get better and better over the longterm =P

3. Thanks to god this little extacy will not be your permanent state, let go and let flow to open more and more to the unending infinity 8)

To the latest post of yours: self pace even more, like 2x 7 minutes DM or 5 minutes. Below that, better look for the alternative meditation practice described in the lesson links Yogani gave above.

Happy practicing :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000