Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Can SBP kill you if overdone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  10:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody,

I had a very nice experience with SBP followed by a very bad and traumatic experience that I'm still shocked. I got started with 20 minutes of SBP and 40 minutes of DM. I know, I'm aware that I was overdoing it ok? In the night of Day 3 to Day 4 I was so full of energy flowing in my body that I wasn't able to sleep properly but I didn't feel bad. Next day I did one more morning session of SBP + DM and everything went fine (except for the burst of energy flowing). At lunch time, as soon as I had my meal my blood pressure went way high (16/8) and I started to sweat and my legs were shaking. It was terrible. I laid down and after 20 minutes it was gone. The whole afternoon I was ok (probably because I didn't eat!). Same day in the evening I went to a restaurant and after the third fork of food reached my stomach I started to sweat again, my blood pressure went so high that everything was getting black and I almost fainted. Although after 5 minutes I got better I was taken to the hospital but again everything went fine and they said everything was ok with me but what happened to me could have led me to die (the 16/8 blood pressure). I was so shocked that I even talked to a monk from SRF and he told me he'd never heard of a similar thing before and that SBP is harmless. I even thought there was something to do with the food not being pure enough to go through my temporarily "over" purified body because of the over-practice? No idea. Any thoughts?

I'd like to raise this question to all of you, including the advanced practitioners. Do you genuinely believe that SBP is harmless? Or you think if done incorrectly like I did could lead to serious stuff and even death?

Please, I'm not in bad faith and my intention is good. I'm only raising this question to help me out and others that may overdo SBP just like I did.

Thank you.

Edited by - digofarias on Jan 22 2013 10:09:42 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Digofarias,
Welcome to the AYP forums!

I am sorry your had such a violent reaction with overdoing practices.
Everyone reacts differently to practices... and in your case there may have been other factors (other than 20 min spinal breathing+40 min deep meditation) that may have caused your symptoms... not saying it was, but there could be a possibility.. right?

I would suggest not to get caught up in this and let it go... lesson learnt... now self pace and build a stable practice. Not trying to discourage you from discussing either, just trying to point out, when the mind gets caught in an idea, it focuses all our energy into finding answers that are not always there... at time letting it go helps us open to find the answers.

No one else can answer questions for us... we have to find our own answers... others can point us in one direction or other... but a true answer will only come from within us and may be true only for us.

Having said this, I would like to say, that spinal breathing is powerful (and it is always good to treat something that powerful with respect by following instructions), but chances of it causing death is really not very high. A practice similar to spinal breathing is taught in kriya yoga and a kriya yogi practices this for hours.
We do not recommend it, as in AYP we combine it with DM and together the practices can be really powerful in bringing up too much purification, and the AYP way is to self pace and have a smooth opening, not push at all costs and suffer through purification.

Many here.. me included have overdone many practices... and have faced the consequences of this ... headaches, heavy headed, excess emotion, lot of heat, flu like symptoms, etc.
Now there are enough warnings about not overdoing it and there are enough warning signs that will show up before we get really affected by this. But if we ignore our body/minds warning signs then yes it could maybe cause extreme symptoms like you had.

So best to keep it simple, take it slow (I would say 5 min SpB and 10-15 min meditation or no SpB at all for now, just DM... then slowly introduce Spb with maybe a round or two and build it up from there)and not go into fear of practices.

Wish you all the best!
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  1:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I can understand where your question coming from & the good intention is obvious.

SP brought lot of pain over here too on many aspects.The last ones were really severe that made me give up SP all together.
It will take long long time to forget the week(more or less) I've been through physical pain all over the body,did I die? no.But I saw death as a very good option at that time.

I never overdid SP...never reached 10 mins even.

But there was a day when I met many people who had been through different kundalini shows and heard their stories.I asked myself if any of these things happened to me...Who will understand?Obviously no one.My family have no clue what I was going through.I broke up with the man I was dating,I almost drove him crazy....Smart guy he ran away...The point is No one can understand & I found myself without the right environment and without the supervision of a real guru...I can't do any energy practices on my own.

you might want to ponder this too.

this is a discussion similar to yours I had lately with Yogani's reply.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....=12332#12332

I still do heart breathing it's harmless & totally safe for me.I also love AYP asanas kit.

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  6:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both Shanti and Namath!

Just wondering... I'm feeling better now but the ecstasy stayed. Not as strong as before, but it stayed. Is it going to fade away or stay permanently?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2013 :  7:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The ecstasy will stay, it will become a part of you through, so you won't "feel" it as much soon. With all things like this, the body/mind experiences it and focuses on it while it's new, then gets used to it and does not notice it anymore.

I am glad you are feeling better!
Much love!
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2013 :  03:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Digfarias...Ecstasy or no ecstasy....I was trying to bring your attention to one point...

With SP you're invoking Mother Kundalini....the question is can you handle it?
you can always ask (as I did many times before) & get answers and help as much as possible from members over here....But when your whole body starts to shake,when you start to have different pain that are not related to any physical issue...When beings start visiting you (Higher n Lower)...When you hit the point you're no more functional in life.From being at peak in work n personal life to hitting point zero .....I'm not saying you will go through all this God forbid...but this is what you will be inviting...Are you ready for this? People concerned <wife,family> are they open enough and know what you're going through.

In my case nothing worked...no question and no answer...The only thing that actually worked was the presence of sages and teachers...It calmed down & balanced the energy...

From my experience,I don't recommend SP....It might be different for you. Just be aware what you're doing.

Apology to Yogani-ji but I'm just sharing my experience.

Love.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000