Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Unpleasant emotions during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WelshYogi

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  3:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

After meditating regularly for a couple of months (IAM mantra for 20 minutes twice a day, no other practices) I have reached a stage in purification where I experience slightly unpleasant thoughts and emotions for the entire 20 minutes of meditation. At first nothing spectacular happened when I meditated, then I got some profound feelings of bliss, and now the unpleasant emotions. I know its a stage in a cycle, but I'm wandering if anyone has any advice on how best to handle it?

Basically I sit down and easily repeat the mantra, then very quickly drift of quite deep into random thoughts and images. The thoughts and images are enormously varied, but the atmosphere and emotion associated with these thoughts and feelings is always clinging, close, claustrophobic, thick and unpleasant feeling, with a feeling of slight uneesiness. When I reallise I am of the mantra I easily go back to the mantra (there is no resistance in returning to it), but very quickly after a few repetitions I am back in these unpleasant feeling thoughts and images again. There not horrific or scary or anything like that, not extreme at all, just unpleasant feeling.

I feel a bit sleepy straight after meditation but after a 10 or 15 minutes nap I generally feel fairly refreshed. So I'm wandering if people would advice to just keep meditating for the 2 20 minute sessions and wait for the unpleasant feelings to pass, or cut back a bit to 10 or 15 minutes, or if anyone has any other advice? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Any advice is most welcome!

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  5:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum WelshYogi.

Sounds like you are progressing very nicely. Just make sure you are not forcing yourself back to the mantra. Its easier to sit with the thought for a while. Experience them without rejecting them, accept them without getting pulled into other thoughts and then very gentle let your awareness drift back to the Mantra.

Most people have these feelings and thoughts and the constant drifting from them and back to the Mantra is entirely perfect.

Its all scenery after all.

Just make sure you are grounding properly and not over doing things. If you are getting very tired or finding anything uncomfortable after DM then self pace.
Go to Top of Page

WelshYogi

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  6:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome and advice Karl. No side effects outside of meditation, except for feeling a little sleepy at first, but not excessively so. Its only the meditation itself that is unpleasant. I'm not forcing the mantra at all, it comes back perfectly easily as soon as I realise I am of it.

I'll try easing of on the mantra a little bit as you suggest, and just focus on the thoughts for a little longer when I realise I'm of the mantra. There pretty jumbled and confused really, just strange mixed up thoughts and images.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  04:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WelshYogi

Thanks for the welcome and advice Karl. No side effects outside of meditation, except for feeling a little sleepy at first, but not excessively so. Its only the meditation itself that is unpleasant. I'm not forcing the mantra at all, it comes back perfectly easily as soon as I realise I am of it.

I'll try easing of on the mantra a little bit as you suggest, and just focus on the thoughts for a little longer when I realise I'm of the mantra. There pretty jumbled and confused really, just strange mixed up thoughts and images.

Its completely normal, as is shaking, weeping, orgasms, vivid dream scenes that feel entirely real. They are all scenery and settle down over time to an extent it takes a new meditator to bring up the memories. Its like remembering a film that once made a big impression and one seems a billion light years away.

Have fun, take it easy and let it all happen without resistance
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000