Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Some questions about "losing the mantra"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I am practicing DM (2x20 min) for about 6 months.
I begin repeating the mantra “I AM” (in fact repeating the thought of the sound “I am”) and after a while, my mind follows 3 options:
1-I begin to think about anything else and stop completely repeating the mantra until I realize I am off and then … (I think that this option is the most regular one)
2- I can be stuck to the mantra during the 20 min or almost(simply I do not think anything else, it seems impossible, but sometimes I have such meditations!): is there anything wrong with this? should I “favor” the loss of the mantra deliberately for the “normal” functioning of the process?
3- I forget the mantra into thoughts, but I still repeat the mantra in background; I know that because when I realize I am thinking another thing, I see clearly that I was repeating the mantra unconsciously and having other thoughts at the same time: can this option also be called “losing the mantra”? is it normal? What should I do in these cases?

Can someone help me about these questions; it would be much appreciated,
Thanks.

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  9:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joao,

The lessons never suggest to 'favor the loss of the mantra.' Why? Probably because it is impossible to do so, and deliberately trying this actually blocks it. The suggestion is to favor the easy procedure. What happens during DM from there on will always be "normal functioning of the process."

Lesson 366 reassures that "there can be thoughts with the mantra, or not. It does not matter." Easily favor the mantra, and gently return to it any time you notice you are off of it at that level of fuzziness or depth.
Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  11:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello AumNaturel! Thank you: it is always good to know that there is people like you that take time to respond to basic questions of a newbie in AYP like me :)
So if I have well understood, when I have mantra with thoughts, it is like: I have lost the mantra (alone) so favor the mantra without thoughts, is this it?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  02:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Favor the mantra regardless of whether or not thoughts occur simultaneously. Mantra with thoughts = OK. Mantra without thoughts = OK. All thoughts, no mantra = time to favor the mantra again.

If thoughts completely overwhelm awareness, and it seems forceful or difficult to think the mantra, then let awareness rest with the thoughts until the mantra's repetition can easily be favored again. It's a technique of finesse, grace, surrender, gentleness, and consistency. It's NOT a technique of organization, management, or thought-regulation.

The mantra will take you many places...on many levels of the mind...with inner silence being the common denominator. All that is required is to easily follow the trail of the AY AM sound as it sweeps through your matrix of obstructions.

As the blissful, expansive stillness overtakes you and consumes you in the process of DM, it becomes easier and easier to rely on the simplicity of the technique, rather than trying to regulate or manage your inward descent.

Happy trails!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  09:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Mantra with thoughts = OK. Mantra without thoughts = OK. All thoughts, no mantra = time to favor the mantra again.

i like those equations dear BT
Go to Top of Page

joao.jlgoncalves

Portugal
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  10:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Favor the mantra regardless of whether or not thoughts occur simultaneously. Mantra with thoughts = OK. Mantra without thoughts = OK. All thoughts, no mantra = time to favor the mantra again.

If thoughts completely overwhelm awareness, and it seems forceful or difficult to think the mantra, then let awareness rest with the thoughts until the mantra's repetition can easily be favored again. It's a technique of finesse, grace, surrender, gentleness, and consistency. It's NOT a technique of organization, management, or thought-regulation.

The mantra will take you many places...on many levels of the mind...with inner silence being the common denominator. All that is required is to easily follow the trail of the AY AM sound as it sweeps through your matrix of obstructions.

As the blissful, expansive stillness overtakes you and consumes you in the process of DM, it becomes easier and easier to rely on the simplicity of the technique, rather than trying to regulate or manage your inward descent.

Happy trails!

Sorry for the delayed response Bodhi Tree (I was at work)...I have already practised this morning (just before the work) following your advices and I feel that my meditation is going smoother, much better in my point of view. You have clarified my somewhat confused mind...

Once again, thank you!

Edited by - joao.jlgoncalves on Jan 04 2013 10:29:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  4:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem, Joao. We learn and move forward by open sharing, whether among us newbies or in the company of those here that are more, or even very, experienced.

Soon I predict Bodhi Tree to take up formulas with occult symbols, you know, for parsimony and all. No really, well said.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  7:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Soon I predict Bodhi Tree to take up formulas with occult symbols, you know, for parsimony and all. No really, well said.

LOL!! This is the only the beginning, AumNaturel. Won't you join me in forming The Brotherhood of the Pink Dawn?
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2013 :  10:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, but as long as the certain secret twice daily practice is imparted only for the few who endure lengthy initiations ..you know, for commitment, loyalty, soul pledges, and all such good things.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  12:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
LMAO! Great minds think alike.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000