Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Does the provenance of money matter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
To the extent accepting money from a dubious source supports a dubious activity, accepting this money is not contributing to general welfare.
On the other hand, accepting money from whichever provenance can be seen as a transfer. The direction of the flow of the money is what eventually transforms and materializes.

Which matters most? Are we to focus on the past (provenance) or on the present and future (where we spend the money on). Are we to consider both?

Any suggestions on how to make a sound decision looking at this from the yama/niyama perspective or another angle valuing global spiritual growth and global welfare?

Edited by - Ruben on Dec 02 2012 4:03:37 PM

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  3:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't it also depend on what you are exchanging for this money? Or are you referring to investing in businesses that are doing harm to others but making you a profit? If I was selling rice I wouldn't care who bought it, but I would not invest in a cigarette company who was expanding their market to china and thus promising me large profits in return. An investment is a form of support, a sale is fair exchange.
OK, that was my rational answer. Karma can be funny at times though. I had an experience many years ago when I bought a bicycle from someone and found out that he had gotten the money for the bicycle by selling something that he had stolen. I paid for the bicycle with my own money. Funny thing was that a couple of months later someone stole my bike. Go figure...

Edited by - Victor on Dec 02 2012 3:43:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply and interesting story, Victor.

I posted the details for coming up with this question on another thread.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12278

In short, my parents are renting out a house. The new renter may have earned the money for the rent from bringing people from his home country to Europe illegally.

quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Wouldn't it also depend on what you are exchanging for this money? Or are you referring to investing in businesses that are doing harm to others but making you a profit? If I was selling rice I wouldn't care who bought it, but I would not invest in a cigarette company who was expanding their market to china and thus promising me large profits in return. An investment is a form of support, a sale is fair exchange.
OK, that was my rational answer. Karma can be funny at times though. I had an experience many years ago when I bought a bicycle from someone and found out that he had gotten the money for the bicycle by selling something that he had stolen. I paid for the bicycle with my own money. Funny thing was that a couple of months later someone stole my bike. Go figure...

Edited by - Ruben on Dec 02 2012 4:02:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  8:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, at least he didn't get his money from murdering people. Personally I don't see legal issues as the final word in right and wrong. For example growing marijuana is illegal in most places but I have no problem with the people who do that. If someone is breaking the law and is involved in business with you then the law might get you involved and that is a reasonable issue. Renting a house to someone involves them in your life, they don't just buy your product and walk away. You just need to consider if you want to get in bed with that person (so to speak). In this case I would weigh both the legal as well as your personal moral issues about this persons activities. For the legal issues I would consult a lawyer to see if you have particular risk or liability. For the moral you have to follow your own gut on that one.
Go to Top of Page

Ruben

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  10:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruben's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the wise and practical advice, Victor.

quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Well, at least he didn't get his money from murdering people. Personally I don't see legal issues as the final word in right and wrong. For example growing marijuana is illegal in most places but I have no problem with the people who do that. If someone is breaking the law and is involved in business with you then the law might get you involved and that is a reasonable issue. Renting a house to someone involves them in your life, they don't just buy your product and walk away. You just need to consider if you want to get in bed with that person (so to speak). In this case I would weigh both the legal as well as your personal moral issues about this persons activities. For the legal issues I would consult a lawyer to see if you have particular risk or liability. For the moral you have to follow your own gut on that one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000