New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sadie

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2012 :  12:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for sharing Etherfish!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  06:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A note about "common sense":
I am always the first to tell you when our leaders are not using common sense, and bad consequences are inevitable.

However:
Have you ever seen things work out that completely defied common sense? I have.
Is it possible for something to happen that has only one chance in a billion? Absolutely- sometimes it's called "a miracle", other times it's called "Murphy's law".
Both are ways of explaining away things outside the normal.

Over and over again I have seen things that are so far outside my belief system, that I said to myself "My life will never be the same. Knowing this event can happen, my life has been significantly improved for the better, and will never be 'normal' again."

And yet, over and over, my life returns to 'normal', where I believe extraordinary things are quite rare, and the world usually follows common sense and logic, and I just need to be enlightened to rise above all this mundane world of logic. . .
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sadie

Karl

Icon worship? never heard of it, but sounds intriguing. care toshare?

NLP is generally taken as a set of tools to overcome barriers and create success. The problem with success is that its purely a concept. Even in very spiritual ways such as enlightenment, it still is extremely materialistic. We still want to gain something. Human action is invariably based on swapping one set of things for another set of things which appear to be more valuable than the first set of things.

So, giving up time to meditate is considered by many to be worthwhile as they believe they will gain something by swapping that time ( work/leisure ) for the action of meditating.

NLP then is no different to that of course, as its based on the human condition there are no surprises. Part of the success strategy is goal setting. It differs from Yoga because it is very much about creating your personal vision of success. Its no too dissimilar Ito praying to an icon to provide love, victory, rain, a new camel. The icon middleman is swapped for a direct connection to the object or situation desired. The secret describes this as the law of attraction.

It is antithetic to much of Yoga in which a much finer 'letting go' is involved. So we don't hold an image of a desired condition, even when saying Sutras, they are let go. In NLP they would be held in tight focus and dropped into the timeline ( interestingly, once in the timeline you are required not to dwell on them, but to act as if you have already achieved them).

This is why I say there are some similarities with icon worship. Its a step away from pentagrams and incense burning, but the main aim is entirely congruent. Attract wealth, fame, love, money, victory.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2012 :  1:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is another way of looking at it that is more evolved in my humble opinion:

I'm not interested in 'gaining something' in the traditional sense.
I am interested in "going with the flow"; in other words making my actions efficient for the good of all beings.
So that's why the secret, and NLP also are good for me. It's not really "for me", but it is because it makes life easier for what I was already trying to do: be in balance with everything, and contribute the most I can.
Of course, it is not necessary to look for these methods, but sometimes our inner guru brings them. . .
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  04:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

There is another way of looking at it that is more evolved in my humble opinion:

I'm not interested in 'gaining something' in the traditional sense.
I am interested in "going with the flow"; in other words making my actions efficient for the good of all beings.
So that's why the secret, and NLP also are good for me. It's not really "for me", but it is because it makes life easier for what I was already trying to do: be in balance with everything, and contribute the most I can.
Of course, it is not necessary to look for these methods, but sometimes our inner guru brings them. . .

Recognise you Ego even in that new, altruistic desire, acknowledge and accept it. No tools are needed, no books, no films, no words, no NLP. However you will need all those books and films to realise it

The ego is the ego whatever and however the desire is. You need all the tools until the point at which you realise they are redundant I prefer not to criticise the tools because I also needed them, its just that looking back they now look useless. Its all a progression, the tools become more and more refined and are in turn cast aside.

I find that the progression is infinitely ongoing. At one time NLP was necessary and now its redundant, other tools will be used and burned up, until, maybe, one day, all the tools are burned up.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  07:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Each tool is useful for specific things. Pliers are indispensable for things we can't do with our hands. Then there is the guy who is so impressed with what he can do with pliers that he carries them around all day long. . .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000