AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Ramana: For neo-advaitins who preach self-inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Soul

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  11:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Swami Yogananda asked Shri Ramana Maharishi in 1935:

"How is the spiritual uplift of the people to be effected? What are the instructions to be given them?
M.: They differ according to the temperaments of the individuals and according to the spiritual ripeness of their minds. There cannot be any instruction en masse."

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  12:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice...very nice indeed! That explains why, on one hand, I possess such an intense passion for the AYP repertoire, while on the other hand, I writhe with rabid contempt at the teachings preached by non-duality, self-inquiry personalities (I won't name any names lest I be chastised for guru bashing! ). Hahahahaha....

Thanks for this potent quote.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  03:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Always understood 'each to their own' and 'many paths'. I found none relational self inquiry to be disorienting and I can imagine that for some it could quite literally lead to temporary insanity.

Best to put faith in the internal Guru whatever the difficulties encountered. However learning to listen is the most difficult step.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice quote. I wonder if there are more sources that collects such meetings, and the exchanges that took place, or at least the ambiance while sharing company.
Sri N. Maharaj expressed wishes in his book at one point to also meet Sri Maharshi, though I doubt either ever had the chance to.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  4:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely accurate.

Self-inquiry was complete nonsense to me when I first tried it several years ago. It was exactly as yogani described: just thoughts upon thoughts building castles in the air.

Then I suddenly got a passionate interest in it a year ago and it changed everything, this time around making total sense.

The magic ingredient = inner silence & increased spiritual ripeness through 8 years of practices.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  4:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just now i am translating lesson 388 to arabic .Here is a part that really fits into that thread (what a coincidence)
quote:
Those who have traveled far along the path are to be reminded that everyone must travel from where they are using the most effective methods. There is a tendency for those who are advanced in spiritual progress to teach the destination (their present condition) as being the path. This can lead students to engage in what we call non-relational self-inquiry into the non-dual nature of existence. That is, inquiry in the mind and not in stillness, which is largely fruitless and can be psychologically harmful. With the rise of inner silence (the witness), relational self-inquiry becomes possible
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  4:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Absolutely accurate.

Self-inquiry was complete nonsense to me when I first tried it several years ago. It was exactly as yogani described: just thoughts upon thoughts building castles in the air.

Then I suddenly got a passionate interest in it a year ago and it changed everything, this time around making total sense.

The magic ingredient = inner silence & increased spiritual ripeness through 8 years of practices.

Amen to that!

Inquiry is an ongoing practice that refines in parallel with expanding inner silence.. I'm finding that no question needs articulating. Just the feel of it is enough, as in samyama. Just as the sutras become so refined that just a subtle feel of say "love" is let go in silence, so it is for inquiry.. Often, the question is let go of before I can know it. Only in retrospect does it "show up"..

Very interesting, always evolving.

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

Soul

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  03:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great! I'm happy you all could resonate with the quote as I did

Maheswari: This is great "There is a tendency for those who are advanced in spiritual progress to teach the destination (their present condition) as being the path." ...Seems there is also a tendency for those who are not advanced to teach the destination others have arrived at..! ...Though I feel it's best not to harp on about what others do and make sure I don't fall into that trap myself.

Hari Om!
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  1:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Soul & All,

@Soul: What is this talk about advanced and non advanced spiritually.As far as I know it's either one is Self realized or not....what's in between can be a great trap for spiritual ego,Isn't it so?

Forgive my honesty in expressing what I think....Perish the thought.

although I consider myself below non meditators state,I can still give my opinion yea?...At least they know their states,I lost desire on what's outside and in the same time as if I'm stuck in no where state...

I do have great respect to neo-Advaitan individuals or shall I say for their intellect...the ones I met or interacted with are highly intelligent.kind of uni professors type .However I can't relate to their technique because if it weren't for my love towards Ramana,with the ups and down...I would have dropped self inquiry long time ago.So the key in my experience is the Love towards Ramana and not the effectiveness or non effectiveness of self inquiry.

Salam
Go to Top of Page

Soul

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  03:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Namath..no different to an advanced musician....or advanced football player...or an advanced chef ....and yet, different...

Though I am not inclined to debate or discussion or answering questions directed at me at this point... to be honest.

Wish you all the best on your Bhakti path.

Soul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000