Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 difficulties with samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  03:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I have difficulties with samyama. Usually it is OK. I need 7/8 minutes to do core samyama + 3 sutras for my beloved but sometimes it become very difficult as if I was swimming against a strong current. I release a sutra in silence then I fall in the silence and it is so difficult to go out and remember the next sutra. Of course, I know very well the sutras but this time it seems I can’t remember the next one. Sometimes I fall asleep or unconscious and when I wake up it is difficult to remember what I am doing and the last sutra I have done. For instance, this morning when I opened my eyes to look at the clock I was very surprised to see I spent 44 minutes in samyama!
What does it mean?
Didier

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  09:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Buffle

The reason why you are losing the sutra for a long time before coming back to it, or forgetting it, is a good thing - it's purification.

If you find that a lot of time has passed then don't worry, just finish the samyama session there (don't go through the remaining sutras) and rest. If you have time then you can go through the remaining sutras and then rest.

If you forget what sutra you were on then you take a guess and go from there, or start from the beginning. Just be careful with overdoing it if this happens often. Because if you keep starting over then your samyama session could last for several days!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  2:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like your samyama is going just fine as it was meant to. As for the length, I too find it easy to go either overtime, or pick up the next sutra too quickly, as my sense of time in silence is a bit distorted.

To compensate a bit, when my body is telling me it's been much longer than usual, I cut back the number of extra repetitions on some I like to do toward the end, and that helps.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  02:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Woosa and AumNaturel :

I agree it is purification and just fine but it is too much and does really disturb me.So, yesterday, I decided to say only one repetition of the sutra. I will see if things get better.
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  1:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have this kind of experience in samyama very frequently. I use a timer when i do practices before work so that I am not accidentally late, for this reason.

I often find that it takes me almost 10 minutes to get through 2 repetitions of the 9 core sutras, when it should only be taking 5.

I would think it best not struggle against this strong current.. It can feel like a big effort to remember that next sutra sometimes, I know. But it is no big deal if you get lost, like woosa said.

How is it working out doing only one repetition of the sutras? I do this sometimes too when I have time for only 5 mins samyama, and I generally find it easier to stay on course.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  08:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wafu

Good to know I am not alone.

With only one repetition, I find samyama much easier. I say all the sutras in the right time with no problem.

By now, I had to stop all practices except asanas as I have too much energy raging in my body especially at night. Unfortunately, I am unable to self-pace wisely. I have to do all my usual routine or stop completely. It is not the first time. I resume my practice when I feel time has come, sometimes it is only a few days, sometimes a full month.
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Buffle,

Nope, not alone It's been my experience that a lot of these kind of purification symptoms are common among members of the community, if you ask. Even some of the what you might think would be more unusual ones.

I just recently searched for "kechari yawn" as I've started feeling the urge to yawn a lot while doing kechari mudra, something I didn't expect to see much discussion of, and lo and behold there was a thread from a few years ago discussing just that The forums are great for that kind of thing!

Patience has never been my chief virtue, especially when practices are feeling really good. For me it's been a case of exhaustion winning out and forcing me to cut down so I can sleep properly. Then I always feel better. Are you doing grounding activities after practice - light exercise and social activity etc?
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  02:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Are you doing grounding activities after practice - light exercise and social activity etc?

Good question. What kind of grounding am I doing?
First thing, every day a cold shower even in winter, this is very good to dissipate the energy in excess.
Second, one hour of asanas, 3 or 4 times a week, and I look forward to increase the number. Is it grounding? I think so as the asanas help the body to assimilate the energy increase.
I go sometimes with a friend for a walk in the mountains nearby.
I am retired but still in business at 20%/30% which I suppose is also a good thing.
On holidays, I go to the seaside, swim every day, and have long walks in the sea along the beach. For me it is the best grounding activity. Sadly enough it is only à few weeks.
Right now, it’s all I can think of.

Wafu, may I return the question? What kind of grounding are you doing?
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  02:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
for some people asanas are grounding for others asanas are not grounding....
it seems you belong to the first category...same for me
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  02:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for taking such a long time to get back to you Buffle! I am one of those people for which asanas are not grounding, as maheswari pointed out. Everything you've mentioned seems to me like it would be good for grounding, it's all about taking note and doing more of these things when energy becomes excessive. How are you finding your samyama since our last posts?

I work in a care centre for elderly people with dementia five days a week, and for me that is all the grounding I need!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000