Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Loss of the witness!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stevo

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  10:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm new to the AYP forums, however i've been a fan of the AYP books for a while now. I've been meditating for about 10 months doing deep meditation twice a day for 30 minutes each, focussing on breath, rather than a mantra.

Over the past month or so i have noticed the witness occurring for short periods on pretty much a daily basis. I've also had glimpses of a real inner happiness, which has been great! I was really happy with my meditation and the progress i was making, owever, for the past week there has been no sign of the witness! I've been trying to not get frustrated over this as that will only make it worse, but it's hard not too! I used to also be able to stay with the object of meditation for quite sometime during meditation. Since loosing the witness, i've lost all ability to concentrate, being lost in thoughts for the majority of a sit and throughout daily life as well.

Has anyone else had this experience of the witness disappearing?

Thanks in advance,

Stevo

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  07:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stevo,
Welcome to the AYP forums.

Yes, this is very normal. Just remember anything you experience is not permanent (that's why we call it scenery)... better to not get attached to it... does not mean it's gone away... either it is now hidden behind the curtains transforiming into another form, or it is already there in your life in another form and your mind hasn't grasped it yet, so you feel nothing is happening.

Remember an ending of an experience is just our inner silence way of making space for something new to manifest... and the fastest way to experience the new is to not get or stay attached to the old (or any ideas)... when something is gone, let it go so we can experience the new.

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  5:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Stevo to the forums. I find once you have a taste of it, there's no forgetting. There will be that wavering on and off, but that probably won't be isolated to just one part of the journey. This can be turned into an ally, a source of motivation and devotion to one's path. With that, there's the routine and its momentum that keeps its steady course forward regardless of apparent setbacks. That alone is something to always feel good about, since it is what makes the difference in the end.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  8:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, expectations work against you because it is the ego trying to own something, while letting go of everything is much more productive.
It's OK to constantly have thoughts, that's normal and that is the purpose of using a mantra. It helps quiet the thoughts until they don't bother you.
Any achievement we think we "own" will come and go, and we need to let them go so that we strive for quietness rather than experiences. You will still have plenty of experiences, but we don't control them or own them, we just enjoy the ride.
Go to Top of Page

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  8:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,You can try to counting your breaths.count silently inside the mind,not out loudly.it really helps to build up the concentration so you can stay with the breath.You just count one inhalation and exhalation as one.next inhalation/exhalation as two...continue to ten.then start over at one again.If you get lost in thoughts before reaching ten,start counting from one again.And keep your breath natural and your mind relaxed.
This you can do for a period until you feel your concentration is better and then meditate without counting or you can count in the beginning of each meditation and then switch to normal breath meditation when your mind has calmed down.
Hope this helps.

Edited by - boris on Nov 05 2012 10:01:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stevo

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  9:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the responses and the welcomes!

I have been trying to use the experience as a frustration test! It certainly helps keeping calm and collected and not letting frustration get the better of you.

I have to agree with AumNaturel regarding the motivational boost that the witness can give. I can't imagine anyone just giving up on yoga having experienced the witness and having lost it again, like i have. Just knowing that that kind of experience is possible is more than enough motivation to keep at it over the long term. Hopefully throwing in a bit of spinal breathing pranayama into my daily routine will help in my progression.

Thanks again,

Stevo
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2012 :  03:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can induce the witness almost immediately just by simply thinking about it repetitively and being sensitive to any responses that come up. "The true witness" over and over. You want to avoid fake awareness that your ego can make up.

This orb often shows up and helps me induce the witness. It definitely seems like he is helping me because it WAY easier when this orb shows up. Spirit guide? I'm not sure.

Maybe this technique will work for you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000