Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I OM instead of I AM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  10:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Would I loose the benefits mentioned in the lessons if I were to use the mantra I OM instead of I AM. I find I OM seems more easy and effortless too me, thanks everyone

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  10:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you are repeating the Mantra it can go anyway it wants to go. We are not trying to hold a perfect version of the Mantra, simply letting the vibration repeat with gentle awareness. So, it might well become I OM as its repeated, or even more subtle as it refines.

Does that make sense ? We are not trying to stay with the individual words or any kind of meaning. Where we start from is Ayam, how it morphs doesn't matter.

For AYP the mantra is I am or Ayam. That doesn't preclude you using anything that works, but it won't be exactly the AYP method.
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  11:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It made sense thank you very much, I'm thinking of starting from the beginning of each session with I OM instead of I AM/ Ayam , In the lessons it says that the mantra I AM is used for a specific reason but also that any mantra can be used to meditate on. According to the lessons I AM vibrates or resonates in a certain way that is extra efficient in purifying the system, or something similar like that. Maybe someone can comment on this ?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  11:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

When you are repeating the Mantra it can go anyway it wants to go. We are not trying to hold a perfect version of the Mantra, simply letting the vibration repeat with gentle awareness. So, it might well become I OM as its repeated, or even more subtle as it refines.

Agree with Karl... just want to add though, if you become aware that you are saying "om" instead of "i am", you come back to "i am".
OM is added as an enhancement... but consciously, we start and stay with "i am". The two mantras work differently and as a procedure (if you want to stay with AYP) in the beginning we stay with "i am" as it works along the entire spine while "om" is more head centered:

Lesson 188 - Q&A – Mantra Design 101
I AM (by any spelling) resonates in the full length of the spinal nerve from the third eye to the root.

As has been said in earlier lessons, I AM is a "dual pole" mantra. The resonance of it in the spinal nerve is the reason why. "I" is the shiva component, and "AM" is the shakti component. With this mantra we are bringing the mind to stillness in such a way so as to purify the full length of the spinal nerve. By using a mantra that resonates between the third eye and the root, we are following the safest and most balanced path of awakening, just as we do in spinal breathing pranayama. The two practices are parallel methods, both working to purify the spinal nerve on their respective levels in the nervous system. Both practices, done in sequence (spinal breathing and then meditation), awaken and stabilize our ecstatic energies and inner silence. Together, these emanate out naturally from the spinal nerve.

OM resonates naturally in the medulla oblongata, the brain stem, spreading out everywhere through the nervous system, and beyond.

OM lives up to its reputation of being the "mother of all mantras." It is the deeply ecstatic primordial sound of what we are, manifesting from pure bliss consciousness. As explained in the lesson on the second enhancement, we have to prepare for it before using it in deep meditation. Otherwise, it can wreak havoc. Under the best of circumstances, OM is "devastating ecstasy" in deep meditation, especially once ecstatic conductivity is coming up. It will be too much for anyone who goes to the second enhancement prematurely, so don't rush into it. You will know when you are ready. For deciding when to "shift gears," use the guidelines given in the lesson.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We cross posted.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  11:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DAPA:

Here is a lesson discussing OM vs I AM: http://www.aypsite.org/59.html

It should also be mentioned that OM is incorporated in an AYP mantra enhancement for later on. Here is a summary of the mantra enhancements, original and alternate sequence of adding them over time: http://www.aypsite.org/369.html

Note: The alternate sequence was introduced to delay the incorporation of OM, because some tend to overload taking it on too soon. I AM without enhancements is okay for long term practice. Everyone self-paces their practice as needed.

Karl is right. The AYP base mantra is I AM. You can use any mantra you want, but that will be a modification of AYP baseline practice and results will be less predictable. Of course, many have used OM, but for this kind of pro-active deep meditation, it may cause too much energy (shakti) flow if used as a starting point. That is not to diminish the value of OM for chanting and other forms of meditation it may be suited for as a starting point.

I'm sure you will find what works best for you. All the best on your chosen path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

We cross posted.

We all did. So many capable practitioners around here willing to lend a hand. Wonderful. Thank you.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, very useful and helpful indeed. I will stick with I am then.

edit: removed quote

Edited by - DAPA on Oct 11 2012 3:39:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  3:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and provide me with the info and insights, I deeply appreciate it. Thank you
Go to Top of Page

lufa1212

India
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  06:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Originally quoted by Shanti

Lesson 188 - Q&A – Mantra Design 101

As has been said in earlier lessons, I AM is a "dual pole" mantra. The resonance of it in the spinal nerve is the reason why. "I" is the shiva component, and "AM" is the shakti component.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is interesting, Shanti. Many times during my DM practices "I" has resonated as the Shakti component and "am" as the Shiva component....seems that somewhere during the DM the ego/mind had unknowingly used its knowledge of Aum where "m" resonates as shiva component and interchanged it with "am" of the "I am" mantra ...

Thank you for bringing up this valuable lesson.

lufa
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  08:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome DAPA and Lufa.

We are all here to help one another and learn from one another.

And thank you for sharing with us.
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2012 :  04:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought It'd be better if I posted here instead of creating a new thread altogether. Now we have the sound file as a reference : http://www.aypsite.com/audio/downlo...tra-base.mp3

Usually when I hear examples of mantras, they are said with a type of rhythm and melody often fading out in the end. I get the impression that this helps in relaxing the body and mind. Do we introduce the mantra plainly as it would be said and is said in the example? Or is it better to repeat it in a more typical mantra style ? Does it matter?

I understand that I am probably over complicating this, in periods my meditation works well for me but at other times I am continually disturb with the thought if I am doing it "right" or not.

thank you for your patience,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000