Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  9:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all. I recently saw a book on teaching med to kids, now I can't find it. So my next flash was ask in here. I have an adorable little 6 y/o grandson and I'd like him to get into some yoga practices so he can avoid much of the pitfalls and misery of growing up w/o losing any of the joy or wonder. In America we have no 'rites of passage',very little cultural orientation, nor reliable religion and, of course, forget politics or 'televison philosophy'. So what's the best way to get him interested in the journey within? American boys seem to love Ninjas and Eastern cartoon figures; maybe it's time to actually give them some real insight?
Thanks all,
L

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2012 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Larry:

I don't know of a book, but Yogani has a lesson on it here.

I think it might be enough if your grandson simply sees you practice. He might settle down and do it with you if he feels welcome and inclined. If he doesn't feel inclined, I wouldn't push it, but the example will be there. He'll remember.

As for cultural orientation, hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa is probably the best there is in any society.

Martial arts might provide an introduction to meditation for an active boy. I do Taekwondo with my daughters. (It's what's available in my area.) Many years ago, I studied Karate under Sensei Sugiyama. In both cases, meditation is encouraged. We sit in meditation for a minute before the start of practice to calm the mind and bring focus to the practice.

I don't know if it's possible to avoid pitfalls of growing up. I think it's most important to keep the kids talking. I know that yoga emphasizes the cultivation of one's inner silence, but kids need someone to talk to, and it's the adult's job to guide them. So really, to serve the kids best, we must cultivate our own inner silence for wisdom and patience, and keep our eyes, ears, and hearts open for the kids.

Anyway, hope this helps. All the best to you and your grandson!
--Liz
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  1:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Whip. Yeah, I guess that's about all you can do. Under the right situation and conditions kids are way too happy to appreciate any of this. Just letting them see it is enough, I guess. When and if they start is up to fate. I remember many moons ago finally coming to the conclusion that I couldn't save my own kids. They have to find their own way.
l
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000