Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 focus on sensation or visualization ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  9:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing pranayama now before dm for a few months, there is a reoccurring issue for me that I would very much appreciate to get some comments on.

If i stop trying to visualize the spinal nerve, I can more distinctly feel the warm pleasent sensation in my spine as I go up and down, when I try to visualize I somewhat loose track of this sensation and it all becomes a bit more strained and difficult. Should I go with the sensation or is the visualization important ? I have a little bit of trouble imagining the channel to be tiny as instructed and I often spend attention thinking of whether I am doing it correctly or not,.

Thank you very much for reading this post,

Greetings from Sweden

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  9:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DAPA and welcome!

Well, I would go with what is easiest for you.

In this case I would try feeling the sensation going up and down your spine, rather than visualizing. As you have said, visualizing causes you to lose track and causes difficulty. You don't want that!

I've never visualized during spinal breathing - just felt the sensation - and I know it's working.

It's good to have you here. All the best!
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  10:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by woosa

Hi DAPA and welcome!

Well, I would go with what is easiest for you.

In this case I would try feeling the sensation going up and down your spine, rather than visualizing. As you have said, visualizing causes you to lose track and causes difficulty. You don't want that!

I've never visualized during spinal breathing - just felt the sensation - and I know it's working.

It's good to have you here. All the best!

Thank you so much for your helpful reply, and thanks for sharing your experience, I am very glad to be here in god company, :)
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  2:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome DAPA,
also see Lesson 44 and the addition in the book. I generally rely on visualization only in spatial terms to remind me where the focus should be, and after a bit of that, the process takes over and becomes more automatic following a general but weak sensation that becomes more tangible at the root and brow centers. The same thing carries forward when adding more practices, each gradually falling into place even if it may seem awkward at the start.
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  7:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Welcome DAPA,
also see Lesson 44 and the addition in the book. I generally rely on visualization only in spatial terms to remind me where the focus should be, and after a bit of that, the process takes over and becomes more automatic following a general but weak sensation that becomes more tangible at the root and brow centers. The same thing carries forward when adding more practices, each gradually falling into place even if it may seem awkward at the start.

Thank you for your post , so it is okay/good idea to visualize for 2,5 - 3 minuets and then go with the sensation for the rest of the session? Perhaps it is a good idea for me to get the book also,, :) thank you
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  10:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DAPA
so it is okay/good idea to visualize for 2,5 - 3 minuets and then go with the sensation for the rest of the session?

If there are numb spots in the sensation, you can skip over those sections, just so long as the sensation or visualization starts and ends at brow and root centers.

There might also be variation in sensation over time, so what matters is just following the procedure regularly as best we can.

I don't recall any lesson that suggests to stick with only visualization and then only sensation, so it might not matter which is used and in what way to do the tracing.
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2012 :  06:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

quote:
Originally posted by DAPA
so it is okay/good idea to visualize for 2,5 - 3 minuets and then go with the sensation for the rest of the session?

If there are numb spots in the sensation, you can skip over those sections, just so long as the sensation or visualization starts and ends at brow and root centers.

There might also be variation in sensation over time, so what matters is just following the procedure regularly as best we can.

I don't recall any lesson that suggests to stick with only visualization and then only sensation, so it might not matter which is used and in what way to do the tracing.

Thank you very much
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000