Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 A technique for dropping attachments and grounding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  8:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Note: This in no way is s substitute for self pacing. This is done along with self pacing (which may include stopping all sitting practices).

Over the past few months I realized, overloads stay in place due to some form of attachment to it. By attachment I mean, attachment to an attachment or aversion, both of these are two side of the same coin. with aversion we are attached to an idea we don't want something. So in the post when I use the word attachment I am talking of attachment to an attachment or an aversion.

The technique is very simple. It may not be a good idea for beginners, a bit of access to inner silence is good, and knowing samyama helps a lot.
Pick a word that encompasses everything, love, oneness, wholeness, stillness, lila, the universe, the molecules, all of it... but has no form to you... You know what it means, but you have no attachment to it... like "Allah", 'Brahman", "(Heavenly)Father"... (if Allah or any of the other words I suggested is your ishta, pick another word... it's very important to not have any attachment(or aversion ) to the word... no feelings of devotion or surrender or anything else really... you should know what it means, but not have a feel for it or a mind form to it).

When you breath in, follow your awareness (your attention) from the head to your toes (a vertical sweep) and say the word you selected from above (or any other word that has a meaning of "All" to you... I will use the word Allah in this post) in your mind. Be very careful not to be working with energy... we are not trying to bring energy from our crown down or emotion or anything else down... just bring your attention down from head to toe, while focusing on the downward movement of attention and the word "Allah" ... then breath out and let the attention flow outward horizontally ... not focused on any part of the body... from head to toe feel like you are opening and let the attention flow outward... Don't focus on what is flowing out, it is everything, love, energy, emotions, healing, blocks, attachments, aversions and load of other things, but we don't focus on any one thing... it all flows out... If you find yourself focusing on one thing, try to take your mind off it (it will be one of the things you are attached to) and just go back to thinking open.

You can do this as you go about your day. Remember, if you are feeling overloaded by it, you are attaching to something, you are working with energy or an emotion or a desire... stop and see what you are attached to... then try again without the attachment to this.

As you keep doing this, you will feel things lightening and you will have more and more insights... it also will show you things you have attachments to. Once you are at a place where the overloads have subsided and are comfortable with this practice, and you "see" attachments to things (some you cannot even believe you are still attached to) you can say a few times, drop attachment to XYZ (what you are seeing), and drop it into stillness (like making an intention for samyama) and then go back to "Allah" and open... Remember, don't take the intention with you into the practice, the intention is done before the practice... and then the practice is done without attachment to anything.

One thing that will be beautiful to see as you go is how much we resist certain things... even when we don't really have to defend ourselves in anyone's eyes, it is amazing how much we try to protect our own ideas and defend ourselves within ourselves (very very subtle) ... and if we are honest and are ready to see and let something go... this technique works wonders, without any overloads due to "seeing".

If anyone does try it, let me know how it goes.
Thanks!

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti,
I was trying to think of a word that encompasses everything that I have no attachment or aversion to. Then I realized- Oh yeah, the word "everything".
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  4:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dear Shanti :-)

I've chosen the word "All" but I must have some serious attachments bcz the moment I tried it... Ringing in the head and lots of energy... Might be wise to try it out when I am less sensitive to practices... I am already like a fountain of energy nowadays... Not the good kind of fountains... Overloading and self pacing...

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  6:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Everything" is good, if you have not defined what everything encompasses in your mind

No worries, Ananda, just had the draw to share it here as it helped me a lot, maybe it won't work for others...
Thanks for trying it... and yes, stay away from it if it makes things worse.
Much love!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  9:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No, "everything" means nothing to me. Except in ordering certain foods. I'm probably the opposite of Ananda; I have to wait for the right time to try this; too scattered with worldly urgent stuff now. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  9:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Shanti. I will happily be your guinea pig

I feel pretty grounded these days. Will this technique still be of use?

Love [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  10:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I get the exercise, but I'm still having one problem. I can't seem to drop my attachment to you, Shanti--with you being so beautiful...

Kidding, kidding. Sorry, the cleverness is hard to contain.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries Ether, thanks for even considering trying it.

Yep, works great when grounded as well Cosmic. Thanks!

Shut up Bodhi!

Now at least you know you have an attachment to drop... (talking about your attachment to your cleverness!)
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

Great concept. The technique you are describing is very similar to Taoist techniques. But, by the focused scanning and calling a divine name (like Allah), one is "opening to" or "raising" energy. The stronger the belief/faith in the divine (or everything) the more energy (like Ananda's issue). Your "horizontal" component is sometimes called "radiating" energy.

The technique should be more effective for those who can already perceive energy "beyond the body", otherwise radiating it can be challenging.

Edited by - jeff on Sep 25 2012 11:11:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  11:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know that there is a technique somewhere that is similar. I don't know anything of Taoism so would not know. So thanks for your input!

The main thing with what I have said above is to be careful not to work with energy (especially when working with overloads)... Doing spinal breathing we get so tuned to follow breath, attention and energy that un-linking the energy component is very important when overloading.

This technique came to me when I was at the peak of my overload a few months back... and it grounded me in a day (I still stayed away from practices (other than this one technique) for almost a month, but there was no more overload symptoms)... it was because I stayed very aware of not working with energy... but the "Encompassing ALL" aspect of the word "Allah" and opening and letting it "All" flow out.. not just "love" or "energy" or overload" or emotion".. there was no separation or focus on anything flowing outward.

During the overload, I realized, every technique I ever used (to let go emotions or get centered) had some form of memory attached to it... and when already going through an overload, bringing any memory up gets amplified and added to the overload. So it was important to see through the memory attachments I had and work with something that I respected but was not attached to...

Like I said, it worked wonders for me, but may not for anyone else.

quote:
The stronger the belief/faith in the divine (or everything) the more energy (like Ananda's issue)

True, that is why I had said, not to work with a word that may be your ishta or you have any devotion to...
Pick a word that encompasses everything, love, oneness, wholeness, stillness, lila, the universe, the molecules, all of it... but has no form to you... You know what it means, but you have no attachment to it... like "Allah", 'Brahman", "(Heavenly)Father"... (if Allah or any of the other words I suggested is your ishta, pick another word... it's very important to not have any attachment(or aversion ) to the word... no feelings of devotion or surrender or anything else really... you should know what it means, but not have a feel for it or a mind form to it).

... and Ananda did not work with Allah.. he worked with the word "All" (but maybe sound wise it is close enough to Allah?).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000