Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Hoping someone can help with this one.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wisya

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  02:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks. It's been a while since I posted on the group but you people are maybe the only ones that can give me a solution to a major problem that I have developed.

I've been meditating now twice a day for almost 2 years. I did start with mantra meditation and the ayp practices but just couldn't get on with it. I even eventually went down the buddhist practice route and currently have an effective vipassana daily practice going.

The problem I have started a few weeks ago during shamata breath awareness at the nose tip. It started like a feeling of someone pulling and stretching my nose. It didn't hurt but was distracting to say the least. As the weeks went on it has become much worse. It now involves my whole face. Sometimes it's like having my face sucked, other times it feels like my teeth are being pulled out. Now it goes with a feeling of pressure inside my head.

None of this really hurts but it is truly messing up my meditation. The feeling has now become so strong, I don't even need to be meditating. If I bring attention to my face I can bring it on in seconds. It is very odd.

I can no longer use my nostrils as an object of meditation. Now I've switched to the abdomen which is a lot better but these face and head feelings are always in the background ready to pop up.

There has to be someone here who can help. I asked a Tibet lama and he said it was sprites messing with me. Take that as you want...

Thanks

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  04:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wisya,

Yes, moving your attention to the abdomen and being aware of the breath there is the right move.

The sensations in your face could be caused by a number of things. Firstly, activation of the energy channels in the face and head can produce this effect. Some of the symptoms you describe sound like those that are accompanied with entry into samadhi, especially the flattening of the face. It isn't a problem, just a side effect of meditation. But if the symptoms become too much, and are disturbing your meditation, then moving your attention to the abdomen for the whole duration of every sitting is the answer.

The pressure in the head can be a sign of energetic overload, so watch out for that, and cut back on practices if it continues.

All the best

Christi
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  08:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

wisya

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  2:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi. That was very helpful

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  5:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, your decision to move the attention to the abdomen reminds of the AYP practice: Lesson 368 – The Solar Centering Enhancement. I've been using this enhancement for about a year, and really do feel the benefits during and after meditation. It's gotten me "out of my head". The solar plexus is a central location that radiates to upper and lower regions, and being close to the heart (the powerful space where our ishta resides) has strong implications.

I've also heard that the Buddhist technique to focus on the tip of the nose was actually a misinterpretation/mis-translation of what was intended by the scripture. Supposedly, what was intended was for the attention to be centered in the third eye area--where the nose connects with the brain. But don't quote me on that--your post just reminded me of hearing that from some teacher who seemed to be somewhat knowledgeable.

Also, if you check out this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/367.html, then go to section "Replacing the Mantra with Breath as the Object of Meditation", you will find some pretty excellent guidelines and hints that are more in tune with the samatha/vipassana technique you are using.
Go to Top of Page

wisya

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  06:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bodhi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000