Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Self pacing vs desire for progress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  10:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. I wanted to share my experience with Deep meditation and adding Pranayama too quick before having a solid foundation of deep meditation in place. I started doing DM around the last week of august of this year and before that for a few months I was doing some spiritual practice and self study but not in a structured way.

I had been planning to add Pranayama in October(if i felt ready) and this was after listening to AYP audiobook on Deep mediation and studying the beginning chapters of the AYP lessons. So yesterday I woke up and the first thing I had was a strong desire to do Pranayama so I did my 20 minutes of deep meditation and was feeling great and had a good vibration. I went to work and had a normal Sunday morning.

After work I decided for my evening meditation I was going to add 10 minutes of Pranayama before my DM (my first mistake should of been 5 mins), so I listened to the audiobook on Pranayama but right before I was about to start I got a phone call from my oldest son and had some anger after that and went with that into my practice. Well lets say the rage boiled up later on that night, it was like a lightswitch one minute I am having a great and positive evening and next rage infected my peace. Before this while just practicing DM my anger was well subdued and I was enjoying the stillness in my daily life.

So I decided to cut back to 5 mins pranayama before DM at my morning meditation and had the same results almost instantly so now I am cutting back to Deep Mediation only for a few months...Obviously I am not ready for this powerful practice so early and want to share my mistake so that if someone has a similar experience that they will listen to Yogani's words on self pacing unlike I.

Edited by - robfrommi on Sep 17 2012 10:38:27 AM

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  1:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for sharing
all the best!
Go to Top of Page

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  08:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I decided to try to cut back the pranayama to 2 minutes instead of not doing it, so far my last two practices were very good. maybe i should of put this in the pranayama forum........ and thanks maheswari for the support, it feels nice not to feel so isolated while trying yoga.

Edited by - robfrommi on Sep 18 2012 11:11:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
it feels nice not to feel so isolated while trying yoga.

well that is why we have ayp forums
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  10:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Two minutes of Pranayama was where Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who taught me how to meditate, always started all new initiates, and this always after several months of regular meditation alone. I found that starting with 2 minutes has been just about right for most of those whom I have taught over the past 36 years... Stay with that 2 min for a month or two and add only a minute at a time over the course of perhaps another couple of months. Your patience with this methodical approach will pay off!
Michael
Go to Top of Page

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  08:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nm

Edited by - robfrommi on Oct 26 2012 10:11:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000