Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 O.K. ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  08:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Is it okay to practise sb and dm when lying in bed at night, before sleep?

I did it last night. I got into bed, and realized that I hadn't done my meditation.

So it struck me. Why not here?.

Good or bad idea?

Thanks,

Maria

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2012 :  12:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear Maria
bad idea
you should be sitting with spine straight...u can sit in your bed and support your back with cushions
practices should not be done just before bed time...cause either we will be too sleepy and we end up falling asleep and missing our session!....or we might do them but get insomnia afterwards because of all the energy created !
the idea is to do your practices before eating dinner...so u can have enough time (like 2 to 3 hours) to be active and doing the routine night tasks before going to bed...
TGIY
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  04:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Maheswari !

What does TGIY mean?

I noticed it was easier to trace the spinal nerve lying down (not sure why) and I fell asleep straight after my session

But will remember this one. not to lay down whilst meditation.

Thanks again,

Maria
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2012 :  05:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The guru is in you
but this does not apply to practicing while lying on the bed

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 12 2012 05:31:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  10:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SparklingDiamond

Thanks Maheswari !

What does TGIY mean?

I noticed it was easier to trace the spinal nerve lying down (not sure why) and I fell asleep straight after my session

Thanks again,

Maria

And...
Try not to fall asleep right after the session... it can make you feel groggy and heavy headed next morning.... After your session, rest, then get up and do something, read, watch TV, get ready for bed... do something for a few min before calling it a night.
Go to Top of Page

Ichigo

Israel
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  11:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SparklingDiamond

Thanks Maheswari !

What does TGIY mean?

Thanks again,

Maria

It's probably easier to trace the Spine because the bed floor touches you're back so you have easier time to feel and put awareness there.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to Maheswari, Ichigo, and Shanti !

Shanti,

I did notice the next morning feeling that way!

will avoid late night meditation. :)

Blessings,

Maria
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  10:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti !

I'm such a "why" person. :)

Try not to fall asleep right after the session... it can make you feel groggy and heavy headed next morning.... After your session, rest, then get up and do something, read, watch TV, get ready for bed... do something for a few min before calling it a night*****.

So why is it best not to fall asleep right after??? :)

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  11:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Because I think we then continue with the mantra for a long time in our sleep unconsciously, which causes the drowsy/ heavy head feeling.
But if anyone else has a better answer, would love to hear it.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  12:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti!

If so, Could that also follow that we are unconsciously continuing with it in our waking life too??? or is that a bit far out? :)
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SD:

A primary reason why meditating close to bedtime can disrupt sleep is because grounding of inner silence and associated energies has not occurred, so purification and opening can be continuing to unwind during the night, which can disrupt sleep. This is why normal evening activity is recommended between meditation and bedtime.

As for the mantra continuing subconsciously after meditation, not to dwell on it or worry about it. Just get up from meditation and rest and go out into normal activity during daytime and evening, and everything will be fine.

All the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

PS: It is best to sit up while meditating, with or without back support. Either way is fine. Always rest before getting up from meditation, and then get up and engage in normal activity before bedtime. Ideally, it is best to meditate before the morning and evening meal. It is not always possible, but we do the best we can.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  12:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani.

During the day and/or when the evening practice is done early and then we go about our day, we get involved in lots of things that occupy our mind and hence we don't uncounciously repeat the mantra, that's why Yogani(as he mentions above)/AYP suggests to not meditate close to bed time and to integrate the stillness we have cultivated in meditation into activity. If however we do meditate close to bed time, if we get ourselves involved with something like a book/TV, we again occupy the mind for a bit with something other than the mantra and hence not take repeating the mantra in our sleep. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Ichigo

Israel
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  1:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know.. but in my opinion I think when meditation or pranayama "follows" during sleep it's a good sign.. it means that you are continuing practicing on the subtle level which is important as well and might bring more progress and result.

But then again too much energies running before going to sleep might give you insomnia as well.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ichigo

I don't know.. but in my opinion I think when meditation or pranayama "follows" during sleep it's a good sign.. it means that you are continuing practicing on the subtle level which is important as well and might bring more progress and result.

But then again too much energies running before going to sleep might give you insomnia as well.

Hi Ichigo,

It can be a good thing if it does not interfere (as you said) with your sleep and how you feel the next day. In AYP we try to keep our regular life as normal as possible ... not be going through life with the discomforts of purification interfering with our every day activities. That is why we suggest what we do.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  9:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani. I very much appreciate your input.

I am finding the SB challenging. :)

I use to do traditional meditation, and I always use to get very quick benefit, and life would improve and become 'easier'. I would cope better with life's up's and downs, as long as I meditated everyday.

I haven't long found your site, but I 'know' instinctively it is a very important path, and that herein lies many precious jewels of knowledge on meditation, and evolving spiritually.

What I have found since incorporating SB, and Dm, is that it IS challenging, and I am getting 'overload', which really stumped me. Felt like I was regressing. I am now making sure to get at least ten mins of rest after my SB and dm.

I didn't realize how powerful SB could be. The stand alone meditation I use to do, I guess it never went as deep as what SB does.

I intend to buy your book "Spinal Breathing" as I am fascinated by the process of how this works, on a deep level.

I use to know an amazing doctor (who has now passed away), who recommended meditation/skill relaxation for health improvement. He had recommended not to do meditation within 2 hours of bed, or to exercise right after meditation, and also not to meditate after a full meal.

Is this something you also recommend?

P.S. Is there anything you could advise for people who have a problem with meditating everyday and staying disciplined to it? I seem to have an issue with practising everyday.

Blessings,

Maria
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  10:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti !!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SD:
quote:
I use to know an amazing doctor (who has now passed away), who recommended meditation/skill relaxation for health improvement. He had recommended not to do meditation within 2 hours of bed, or to exercise right after meditation, and also not to meditate after a full meal.

That is generally good advice. However, in AYP, after meditation and rest, exercise can be engaged in. Deep meditation is actually a preparation for activity, whereby inner silence becomes grounded and stabilized in the nervous system. The cycle is going in to stillness and then out to activity to stabilize stillness in our active life. In and out twice each day -- that is the formula for good stable progress.

Exercise right before meditation is not advised, as we are going in to lower metabolic activity. After we have come out of meditation with proper rest, engaging in activity of any kind, including exercise, is no problem.

quote:
Is there anything you could advise for people who have a problem with meditating everyday and staying disciplined to it? I seem to have an issue with practising everyday.

The main thing is to develop and "honor the habit" of sitting twice each day. Honoring the habit, even with just a little practice at meditation time, is more important than doing a full blown session (or overdoing) at irregular times. See Lesson 209 on this -- how to prioritize practices when there is little time (or motivation) to sit.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  10:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Yogani.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000