Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing - Health Benefits: Specific Quest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing DM and AYP for the past several months with a lot of ups and downs but overall have loved what it's given me but I actually went into it hoping to get some very specific benefits, one being help with chronic sinusitis.

For a bit of background, I've been told by my TCM (traditional chinese medicine) doctor that I have a yin deficiency and some native weaknesses in my stomach and lung channels that are all contributing to my chronic sinusitis which leads primarily to me just being congested all the time.

My question is, would spinal breathing done effectively help to alleviate or even possibly cure this condition? How long might it take? The herbs he gives me definitely helps a lot but I would love to be able to stop taking the herbs and fix this very nettlesome and sometimes debilitating problem with meditation.

Yogani, if you're out there any input on this or any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  5:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
edit: Just looked into your condition and I don't think it is what I have had at all. Is jala neti (nasal wash) at all recommended? Best of luck with it.

I've found meditation alone directly clears my sinuses and always keeps them clear afterwards, while certain multi-vitamins and minerals taken over a few weeks causes a recurrence of it even if meditating. I have not been able to tell the effect of spinal breathing alone, but the combination of it and deep meditation works at least as well as silent meditation in my case.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Aug 25 2012 6:03:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  9:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The sinuses in this body are full again and again aswell. They get clear and remain open after a practice session for some hours. The observations are:

The sinuses are open in fresh and nature environements, when food is light, practices continuous and when there is enough physical activity. They get full very fast in smoky places or dense cities in general, with too much food and especially with some types of food aswell like cheese.

The longerm practice tendency in combination with physical activity seems to be better and better health in this regard. It was much worse here 3 years ago for example and right now is pretty fine for a city-life-style. More distance to the city core should clean out the rest.

The book Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas on the right has many good inputs to make the big difference in health. DM alone may take much more time and may not be fully enough for your sinus problem.

Even though health is important, your inner wellbeing independant of health is much more important and this is what the practices presented here will do first for you. Second and over time health surely gets better, but it is more a side effect than the primary effect.

Just keep up the practice and perhaps report back after 3-6 months how it goes :)

Wish you all health and inner wellbeing!
Go to Top of Page

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2012 :  9:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your responses!! They are very encouraging.

Aum, the neti wash can help some times but sometimes can also irritate the heck out of the ol sinuses.

I will give the dm/sb a continued shot and let everyone know what happens in the next few months.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000