Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Question: "I AM", "i am", "I am" and "ayam"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bharata

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  3:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
There seems to be a significant difference between the presentation of this practice in the Secrets of Wilder book and the one in the Deep Meditation book.
In the Secrets of Wilder the overwhelming impression is that this is about moving inward with the phrase, "i am" - the humble and greater version, of "I AM" which is the ego's gross and limited outward reflection of being. It describes the transformation of an outward directed "I" into and infinite and omnipresent "i". Discovering the inherent meaning of "I am" seems to be to be the driving force for John throughout the text. The similar and yet vastly different qualities of "I AM" and "i am" are visited several times with the most obvious difference being the direction of intent and the amount of effort put into the words.
In the Deep Meditation book, the practice seems to be presented quite differently. There is no discussion of "I AM" verses "i am". It is presented as a mechanical technique where the phrase, "I am" has no relationship to either of those phrases and in fact, no particular meaning at all. The suggestion is that only the sound of the words are important and "ayam" is given as an alternate spelling.
What does the sound "ayam" have to do with the infinite "i am"? Is it possible that the sound "ayam" has no meaning?

Thanks in advance for your response!

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  7:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Phew, talk about over analysing you have me confused now

The secrets of wilder is a story, it's extracting how someone might examine the Mantra, strangely enough just like you are doing

Are you currently doing DM with the Mantra ? If so, then you are not seeking any meaning in it, it is a mechanical repetition and at first it will be very clunky. You will try pronouncing it clearer, concentrating on it for all your worth, trying to wish it away, not being able to hear it, hearing it too loud, having it synchronise with you breathing...

Just remember whenever you are thinking those things you are off the Mantra. When you are wondering how it is meant in the story....you are off the mantra. it's of no consequence to understand what lies behind the Mantra or you will be spending time during meditation thinking about how it might be vibrational or divine or something else.....whenever you do that you are off the mantra

So, whenever you are off the mantra, then gently let your awareness fall back on the Mantra.
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  5:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some part of me wants to say the word ayam is definitely pointing to lord shiva - The one who doesnt exist, the one who is always drunk, the one who is responsible for everything but just doesnt get mixed up with anything. It should have went from sanskrit to latin. Sorry I couldnt quote you on this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000