AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 I'm so glad to be here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mukti

6 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  08:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I want to introduce myself.

I have been reading these forum boards for some time and I think it is a great place to share experiences about our yoga practices. It’s amazing how supportive and kind you all are to each other. I also want to express my gratitude to Yogani for having shared his work on the Internet, which has been really helpful.

I’m not new to meditation, but it has been a long time since I used to practice daily. For some time I’ve been trying to come back to it with the aim of gaining peace and mental silence.

For now, when I try to meditate I’m distracted with trivial thoughts. I try not to be annoyed and just come back to the mantra, but I can’t help noticing how I used to be more able to concentrate and reject the incoming thoughts some years ago.

I’m hopeful that by committing to a daily practice as suggested by Yogani I can improve.

My best wishes to everyone!

Edited by - mukti on Aug 25 2012 3:38:10 PM

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  10:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome mukti!

Best wishes to you on your path.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  06:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mukti,
nayi drudhatase, sunehri kirnonpe muktiki or uddan bharo uddan bharo!
that is if you understand Hindi.
if not here is a rough translation:
with new determintaion, on golden lights towards freedom ( mukti) may you fly may you fly!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  07:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Mukti,

Yes, it comes and goes. It is by consistent practice that thoughts will fade away. No need to be annoyed, there's no rush and that's just another thought!
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  08:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome Mukti!

Nothing wrong with thoughts. This really isn't about stopping thought or trying to get a quiet mind.
It's just simply, bringing attention the mantra when it wanders off.

I wish you all the best with your practices, AYP is a very powerful system that has changed my life.

Love,

J
Go to Top of Page

mukti

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your kind words.
Go to Top of Page

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  09:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wishing you much mukti, mukti! :)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  7:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mukti

but I can’t help noticing how I used to be more able to concentrate and reject the incoming thoughts some years ago.

Welcome Mukti,

It's not about concentrating and rejecting thoughts, it's far more passive. It's not rejection at all, you can let thoughts come, just let your awareness gently rest on the Mantra when you notice that you have wandered off. Again it's not about concentration, there is no need to concentrate just gentle awareness on the mantra with a wander off when it happens.

The mantra should not be concentrated on, neither should thoughts be actively rejected. You should float like a Gossamer thread on a light summer wind.
Go to Top of Page

mukti

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  07:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Karl,

You are right.

I’ve come to realise that the attempt to discard the thoughts as soon as they come results in an increase of the mental chaotic condition.

On the contrary, developing a passive witnessing of the play of thoughts brings an experience of great quietude.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  08:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mukti

On the contrary, developing a passive witnessing of the play of thoughts brings an experience of great quietude.

Mmmmmm I like that

It's all about resistance and balance. Eventually there is stillness in action. We are like correcting bodies on a tight rope, the wind pushes that way, our muscles react. Every action spawns a reaction and every reaction a further action. The reaction and action are just the result of the human condition of being unable to accept things as they are and striving for a better condition.

Our true nature is not that, but our human nature will always continue to be that. Eventually it is possible to reach the stage of internal stillness with very little, perhaps zero resistance and zero reaction. Outwardly this cannot be because it would result in stasis of creation. There would be no elasticity at all, life would not be necessary, the universe would not be required.

So internally we can remain almost in stillness while outwardly creation takes place. It's just a synchronisation of those two positions in unity that meditation seeks to address.
Go to Top of Page

mukti

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  3:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

It's all about resistance and balance. Eventually there is stillness in action. We are like correcting bodies on a tight rope, the wind pushes that way, our muscles react. Every action spawns a reaction and every reaction a further action. The reaction and action are just the result of the human condition of being unable to accept things as they are and striving for a better condition.

Our true nature is not that, but our human nature will always continue to be that. Eventually it is possible to reach the stage of internal stillness with very little, perhaps zero resistance and zero reaction. Outwardly this cannot be because it would result in stasis of creation. There would be no elasticity at all, life would not be necessary, the universe would not be required.

So internally we can remain almost in stillness while outwardly creation takes place. It's just a synchronisation of those two positions in unity that meditation seeks to address.

You explain yourself with a lot of clarity.

Edited by - mukti on Sep 07 2012 3:50:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  08:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I thought it was well written too! It made me relax a notch or two just by reading it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000