Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Startle Response & Meditation ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings !

I had this strange experience today while I was meditating in the backyard. Nice shade, wind, fragrance of flowers, gentle chirping of birds. I AM flowing into silence, openness and ecstatic conductivity from root to crown.

Then(unexpectedly and slightly noisily), some one opened a window overlooking the backyard. The noise made my body jump up in startle reflex. I could distinctly say that it was the body (not the mind)on its own. The ears twitched painfully and the muscles spasmed.

One would think that meditation would lead to exact opposite- continue to be unaware of the disturbance around you ? I guess it may be something to do with quality of awareness that envelopes the stillness ? Is this type of response normal(for the lack of a better word:))

What has been your typical experience under similar unexpected disturbances ? Would love to hear your comments, experiences and suggestions.

Regards,
Rishi

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  3:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question. Ideally, there's awareness in meditation, the searchlight being on the mantra and the peripheral/spill light on the scenery. But IMHO, there are natural limits to that: Had the sound come from a dangerous animal, you'd better get away fast.

Rinzai-zen meditation leaders use the plank (Kyosaku) firmly, as soon as they notice a tendency toward sleep/daydream in the meditator's posture.
Some martial art teachers take the awareness ingredient to the extreme, to make sure that the practitioner is never half-asleep during zazen: they suddenly roar a "Kiai" from close behind, and they want the meditator to meet the approaching attack in a fraction of a second.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  7:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's OK. Also when you experience "the witness" you can startle yourself. It's all scenery. Quietly return to the mantra.
Not good to have expectations like being immune to disturbances. Sometimes you will be, sometimes you won't. It's not important.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  4:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rishi, that happens with me too. I take that startling as a compliment that I have gone deep in my meditation :)

It is normal, nothing to worry from what I know
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  6:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, happens to me too all the time. Nothing you can do to change it, it's simply part of our hardwired biology.
Go to Top of Page

Rishi

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2012 :  12:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks a lot for the valuable comments and advice !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000