AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Jim and his Karma's way IMHO
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  9:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma
[What's your concept of tooth brushing? You probably don't have one. You just do it.

So I've been reading Jim and His Karma, day after day, feeling annoyed, but strangely drawn toward his point of view, if only to understand something different. He seems to like it.

Here is a report on my first attempt at Jim’s anti-saintly meditation method: I had a heavy lunch, sipped some wine, sat down and, after a moment of spinal breathing, I reminded myself just to skip to IAMing. Soon fell asleep. I woke up, and after a groggy, depressed phase, felt surprisingly smooth and cool. I fit right in social situations that followed. And when I was brushing my teeth, I noticed in the mirror that I looked quite balanced, healthy.

The working paradox of the method has to do with “self pacing” by intentionally, and slightly ironically, favoring non-saintly acts: the sort that are sometimes done with an embarrassed feeling of falling short. I don't recommend it, but there it is IMHO.

B

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 31 2006 1:01:17 PM

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  11:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never given instructions for meditating after drinking and eating.

I have suggested that those with serious pitta imbalances not fully corrected via standard procedures might try, for a limited time, doing the reverse of what's often recommended for getting "more spiritual". Heavy food, worldly engagement, avoiding art and beauty, etc). But that's for certain people under certain conditions for limited periods of time.

I've also said that mild use of alcohol has never affected me as negatively as the rishis warn. But I don't drink a lot, almost never to the point of actual inebriation, and I never do practices after drinking.

So, sorry, but you've got me completely wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  01:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, but look at the category it's in. . .very complimentary.
You're supposed to deny it in a way that sounds like you're praising bewell, and bless him.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  04:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I don't remember J&K ever exhorting us to pork out and then meditate. I think this may be taking his words out of context.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  10:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You folks have gotten Bewell wrong. He never said J&K gave instructions for meditating after eating and drinking.

As I see it, bewell is talking about meditating without piety and without fuss and without making a big deal, 'spiritual' or otherwise about it. Which is partly what Jim O' Karmi Rishi Baba is saying.

It so happens that meditating after eating is ill-advised for other reasons, but let's not let that lose bewell's point.

And I agree with the underlying ideas fully. I would recommend too that meditation should not be usually be done piously, or in a highly-charged way, or even with a sense that something sacred is happening. It should be done like brushing ones teeth, or even going to the toilet.

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  12:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal favorite (though I totally realize I'm conceptualizing in the way I bug other people not to!) is Katrine's analogy to a warm bath.

I only seize on this at the very beginning of the practice session...as I settle in. It helps.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma
So, sorry, but you've got me completely wrong.

Hi Jim,

I see I took some parts out of context. But completely wrong? It was my first time trimming it down to just IAM meditation. I tried it per your sharing that that is what you do. Upon waking, after my short bout of groggy grouchiness, I felt unusually smooth and balanced and socially functional. Some of the shift seemed attributable to your way of trimming off pretence of saintliness or of being all properly yogic. I was belching a lot yesterday too.

After pausing and reflecting on what I've said above, I've decided share another level of my meaning. I think I have "followed" you in somewhat the sense that you "follow" Yogani's AYP: with a twist.

B

Edited by - bewell on May 31 2006 12:48:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never been big on the toothbrush analogy - too much work. Warm bath? Maybe - I prefer showers. I liked Saint Jimster's hair cutting analogy - just sit back and still and stay out of the way. Sorry that I misinterpreted your post, Bewell. Must've been the time of day - the irony was confusing. Maybe my embarrassment will help my meditation, as you suggest.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  12:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think David is right.. I don't think Bewell is saying that Jim has told him to eat and drink and be a yogi.... this was just his way of trying out.. "Jim's anti-saintly meditation method"

However Bewell, if I am wrong.. then you are wrong.. because, nowhere has Jim ever said you can eat a heavy meal and have wine just before meditating.. He has recommended non-yogic methods as a way to ground excess energy - never before meditation though...
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=977
One random note.

If you have symptoms of overdoing, and need to pull back, one thing to consider is doing the opposite of what's recommended to move "forward" in yoga.

Heavy foods. Grounding. Like ballast.

quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ms=opposite,
Pay it no attention, it's just byproduct. As I said a couple weeks ago, it ebbs and flows. If it starts interfering with your life, self pace more. Meditate less (and drop all energetic practices - I myself only do meditation and samyama). If that doesn't do it, I offer simple advice: go retrograde. Consider the things people do to "get more spiritual" (eat light, introvert, seek quiet, nature, and art, etc) and do the opposite. Logical, no?

The only place that I can remember he has talked about wine was here.. but not for being non-yogic...
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=479
We're trying to cut through cloudy thinking, upturn delusion, and generally get clear by wiping a whole lot of caked on mud off of our windshields. We're all also trying pretty diligently, or we wouldn't be here! That being the case, why intentionally go the other way? Muck ourselves up and zone out? Toddlers spin in circles and fall down laughing for the buzz. Grown-ups have more sophisticated highs, but the crudeness remains. Compared to yoga, the notion of drinking a bunch of alcohol or getting high strikes me as being as attractive as spinning in circles and falling down. It's like.....why?

When I saw things in this light....that sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and drug buzzes are crude buzzes that obscure my clarity...the attraction plummeted.

That said, I like the TASTE of wine. And that is less easy to give up (and, since it's equally an attachment, it's no more noble of me!). I'm also grappling with the fact that red wine is good for my low cholesterol. So I may stay with a single glass per day with dinner for a while. But the idea of getting tipsy repels me. There's no guilt issue; I don't think there's anything wrong/bad/evil about any of these things. It's just that bliss is so much better than buzz. Cheaper, too! :)
If anyone doesn't feel the same, it doesn't make you unyogic. I do plenty of unyogic things! We all unfold unevenly, in fits and starts. Don't push it, let your bhakti lead you, informed by your intelligence.

Edited by - Shanti on May 31 2006 2:13:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  12:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OK.. my post was a little late.. I did not see Bewell's post or Meg's..

Edited by - Shanti on May 31 2006 2:14:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  1:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

I've never been big on the toothbrush analogy - too much work

I'm down on it lately, too. I've been shifting over to the barbershop analogy, as in let the cosmic barber cut your hair.

OTOH (that's "on the other hand", frank!) the toothbrushing bit works well for beginners. And by the time you recognize that it's about letting the practices do you rather than you doing the practices, you probably don't need anyone's analogies.

The warm bath is just a quick mental flip I do as I'm getting into position. It sparks the "ahh" relaxation response, which is a good place to work from.

Also, I'm going to ask the moderators to move this thread to the section it belongs in - "Other Systems" (since these sorts of visulizations are NOT recommended by AYP...and with good reason, I must admit).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 31 2006 1:01:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  1:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the barber analogy. Divine barber cuts and combs your hair.

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  2:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

I've been shifting over to the barbershop analogy, as in let the cosmic barber cut your hair.

Hi All,

I went back and forth on mentioning this but, anyway, when I fell asleep yesterday, in so doing, I missed a haircut appointment. Literally. Got a cosmic cut, I guess. Undaunted, intent on keeping my worldly responsibilities, I got up, went to the salon to at least tip the stylist, compensate her for her time. It turned out she had another no-show and was able to accommodate my belated arrival.

And now it is time to clean up. Literally, I haven't done my after-work wash yet. Ahh, the metaphors we live. I usually shower, but you know what? Today I feel like a warm bath.

B
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  3:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a jewell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000