Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 DaVinci Code Movie with Tom Hanks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  7:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I titled this with Tom Hanks because there are other movies: "Unlocking the DaVinci Code" (Good with Patrick McNee) and "Exposing the DaVinci Code" by christians trying to fight back, but very weak and unreferenced.

This movie with Hanks is excellent! I realize that Dan Brown's book the movie is based upon is partly fiction, but I believe the gist of them is true. The premise is that Jesus was just a normal man, not divine, in fact he married and had kids, and that evil people associated with the vatican tried to erase those facts completely, including his bloodline, the information that the church is not needed to reach god, and the importance of female and sexual energy in the quest for god.

There is no degradation of Jesus himself, although many will think so. He was a very powerful and good person who left countless beneficial teachings for future generations, but that wasn't enough for church people.

Anyway, highly recommended movie. It's one more giant step from dogma toward AYP practices.

P.S.
I heard that there was a lot of the book left out, particularly the heavy catholocism bashing. In the movie it's more balanced.

Edited by - Etherfish on May 23 2006 6:44:36 PM

aongoer

3 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  01:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit aongoer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who may be interested I quote the following from the link

http://www.rosicrucian.com/rcc/rcceng15.htm#part2

Jesus belongs to our humanity. When the man, Jesus, is studied through the memory of nature, he can be traced back life by life, where he lived in different circumstances, under various names, in different embodiments, the same, in that respect, as any other human being. This cannot be done with the Being, Christ. In His case can be found but one embodiment.

It must not be supposed, however, that Jesus was an ordinary individual. He was of a singularly pure type of mind, vastly superior to the great majority of our present humanity. Through many lives had he trod the Path of Holiness and thus fitted himself for the greatest honor ever bestowed upon a human being.

His mother, the Virgin Mary, was also a type of the highest human purity and because of that was selected to become the mother of Jesus. His father was a high Initiate, virgin, and capable of performing the act of fecundation as a sacrament, without personal desire or passion.

Thus the beautiful, pure and lovely spirit whom we know as Jesus of Nazareth was born into a pure and passionless body. This body was the best that could be produced on Earth and the task of Jesus, in that embodiment, was to care for it and evolve it to the highest possible degree of efficiency, in preparation for the great purpose it was to serve.

....When the latter was 30 years of age Christ entered these bodies and used them until the climax of His Mission on Golgotha. After the destruction of the dense body, Christ appeared among His disciples in the vital body, in which He functioned for some time. The vital body is the vehicle which He will use when He appears again, for He will never take another dense body.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  5:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this would be true if you like to put people on pedestals and worship them. Personally I think jesus was a great man who tried to teach that each one of us could become exactly what he became. Each of us has god within us in an equal proportion, even to jesus the christ, and each of us is equal as we are all a part of god. I will concede that jesus of nazareth achieved what all of us shall eventually achieve, way ahead of his time.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  01:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

The premise is that Jesus was just a normal man, not divine

I feel that Jesus was just a normal man AND divine (along with you, me, and the dude sorting DVDs at Blockbuster). I like to point this out because, as you implied Ether, the movie does seem to portray Jesus as a normal, non-divine man. And I've heard a lot of people talk about Jesus within the dualistic either/or constraints. "Either he's the son of God or just a man". I think he was an enlightened man with the divine flowing through him, and that he was showing each of us our own destiny, i.e. this is what we can all become.

And it doesn't matter to me whether or not he was as real person. I think we can all achieve perfect self-realization with a little practice...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  07:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly. When people require him to be something unattainable by us, it creates problems. Not only do their egos latch on and think they're special because of their association with "God", but also there's all kinds of repercussions like heirarchies of who's important. And if you are always the minion, there is no motivation to practice and become anything else, only trying to do the right thing to please daddy, and judging those as wrong who don't.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  09:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the movie too. Minus the cheese, I thought it did a decent job at emphasizing J's humanity while tactfully steering away from blatantly offending the Church. We live in a black-n-white kinda place, has anyone noticed? It permeates our culture, and our leaders capitalize on this, promoting fear of the 'other'. All war is based on this. (whoops - did I just get political?) Fundamentalists would have us believe that you're either with them or against them; saved or lost. The movie and book did a great job at suggesting that it's NOT all so black and white; that truth lies in the gray areas. This is what has shaken so many people, b'c life is so much easier to live when we know all the answers. When we have to start figuring it out for ourselves and digging into the gray matter, it gets complicated. There are people very close to me who had an extremely difficult time with book, and who quickly dismissed it as a work of fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's because those people's religion is based on fear. They sense there is a great power outside themselves, and they don't want to upset it. They think the power must be like them and egotistical and they know how they would treat people if they had that much power, and it scares them. It's ironic because the aspect of God I have experienced more strongly than any other is that he is ultimate peace.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  12:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

That's because those people's religion is based on fear. They sense there is a great power outside themselves, and they don't want to upset it. They think the power must be like them and egotistical and they know how they would treat people if they had that much power, and it scares them.

Yes, it's interesting that when the great power of God is thought to be outside oneself, fear immediately ensues. Again, it's a misunderstanding based on the either/or premise, namely that if the power resides in the Other (in this case, Jesus), then it must follow that I am powerless, and therefore only if I follow Jesus will I connect with this power. So there's an intermediary between me and my power - Jesus - and all sorts of rules and regulations set up by the Church on his behalf to further instill the fear of God into me.

In truth, I think that most people do not want the kind of power that Jesus had, and rightly so, b'c to access it requires a moral intelligence which takes time and patience. So much easier to assign it to someone else and let them be the chosen one, the Saviour, while we waste away in acedia. Is this offensive? I hope not, but if so, it needs to be asked what has been offended? And that may be a key point in the Da Vinci Code: If the material covered is considered to be offensive, who or what has been offended? If it's fiction, then no harm has been done. If it's fact, then it needs to be regarded with our full attention. If it's somewhere in between the two, then we do well to start sorting through our beliefs to see what 'sticks'. There's simply no room for offense. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000