Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Max

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  05:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Ive been following the guidlines on meditation, mulandha and sambhavi mudra. I do the 10mins of spinal breathing etc before commencing 20mins of meditation.
I do this twice a day, usually after getting up and before bed. I know it says do it before evening activities so does doing it before bed have less effect or is it fine to carry on this way?

Also I want to know if and when I should increase the time I take to do the spinal breathing and the deep meditation? Is there a major benefit from increasing the practices?

Thanks for reading.
Max

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Max

I do this twice a day, usually after getting up and before bed. I know it says do it before evening activities so does doing it before bed have less effect or is it fine to carry on this way?

The suggestion to do it before evening activity has nothing to do with it having more or less effect on your practice... it is more about how it affects your sleep... some people are very sensitive and doing practices close to bed time affects their sleep (can't sleep)... but if your 2nd session before bed time is not affecting your sleep, you can keep going. Make sure you rest after the session and then get up and do something (like read, watch TV) for a few min before falling asleep... don't fall asleep right after the session as it may make you feel groggy and tired the next morning.

quote:
Originally posted by Max

Ive been following the guidlines on meditation, mulandha and sambhavi mudra. I do the 10mins of spinal breathing etc before commencing 20mins of meditation.

Also I want to know if and when I should increase the time I take to do the spinal breathing and the deep meditation? Is there a major benefit from increasing the practices?

You are already doing the practice as recommended in AYP... we don't recommend more than 10 min spinal breathing and 20 min meditation. But if would like to, you can add another practice to your routine, like a mudra/bandha or samyama? Check the lessons and see what is recommended next and maybe add that to your routine?
Go to Top of Page

Max

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers shanti, that helps loads.
Max
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  10:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  7:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Max,
I tend to do the same since it is convenient to just before sleep and for me I have not noticed any difference in sleep quality, to which I am very sensitive to otherwise. Some activity as Shanti mentions is helpful to stabilize the inner silence as in the lessons so not sure how much we miss out by doing so. Once you add a few practices the time per session will go up easily as an alternative to remaining in the recommended times and still boost your practice.
Go to Top of Page

Max

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  7:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also sleep well when meditating not long b4 bed. I find I have time then and its quiet. I always do some light reading b4 bed too.

Thanks for yr reply AumNaturel.
Max

Edited by - Max on Aug 09 2012 8:00:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  10:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I go to sleep after a session it mostly ends in depression. The sleep itself has more lucidity/astral activity, less breath, body aches and tiredness after getting up as Shanti describes. A break of 1h after the session with some small snack and light activity like reading makes it smooth.

This reaction does not happen with a light session but with a normal fullscope session so it depends on the intensity and depth of the session.
Go to Top of Page

Max

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  4:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Holy, I dont feel depression but maybe have more lucid dreams, I actually dreamt I was about to astral project the other day.

I want to astral project but have been unsuccessful on and off over the years.

Any advise on using meditation to help me project would be greatly appreciated.
Max
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  8:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you come across lesson 264 - Astral Projection?

The easiest technique for entering sleep consciously I use is wake back-to-bed method, which simply interrupts your sleep cycle and wakes your body and mind up for some period of time, then lying down and using any other technique to keep the mind barely awake, or creating a suggestion to become awake, while the body's biorhythm pulls the mind down to theta after the PGO waves and sleep paralysis and into REM. Some suggest you can project from within a dream, but either way it might be a good starting place. The technique does cause sleep deprivation, and has to be used sparingly so the biorhythm does not learn to wake the body up at night or create shallow sleep around that time.

Normal sleep is important for health and overall yoga practice. All other things are most likely just skills and feats that do not directly build on any real foundation, at least not from the point of view of yoga practice.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Max

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  3:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks,
Yes I read lesson 264 late last night. I have read around the subject for a while now so have come accross many techniques. I think I am trying to hard and blocking myself from getting out.

I have tried something similar to the wake back to bed method. It calls for you to fall asleep only to be woken by an alarm minutes later this process is repeated over and over again. If you stay still after waking the body is then tricked to falling asleep as it is waiting for the body movement cue. If you stay still the body thinks your sleeping. I did manage to get into the paralysis stage but that was it. I will keep trying though as its something I want to experience.

Edited by - Max on Aug 14 2012 3:37:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  3:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That method is a good one and can prevent sleep deprivation if remembering to remain absolutely still after waking toward the very early morning hours. It may also help to go to bed early and get good rest to promote more of the REM phase.

Might also help in trying out a range of methods to see which suits you. That method as an example has never worked for me because my mind is too scattered to remember an intention, or wakefulness is prompted by discomfort from sleep position. WBTB in contrast has worked like a fine-tuned cookbook approach, but in turn requires a good sleep schedule both before and after attempts.

I figure this is because it scatters the mind enough to allow the body's energy to sink in deep (which nourishes the body), creating the greatest natural contrast between body asleep and mind awake (trance). The wakefulness period and method used only amplifies this contrast, while the mental coherence sinks in as resident inner silence, making both the transition and altered state of consciousness on the 'other side' possible.

Scenic indulgence aside, I have always stuck with a sadhana because it became clear that only by working at the core of things does anything real ever really 'change' or emerge. Otherwise it is another high-wire act that gets swept away by the first wave in this play of maya.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Aug 16 2012 3:42:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Max

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  5:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will keep trying when I get the chance. If no progress is made I will try wbtb method.
At the moment I cant concentrate on AP or meditation as I have been going through something very stressful. Should I be persisting with SB etc and meditation while feeling anxious. I have not done anything for 6 days now.
Thanks.
M
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  10:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember someone here saying that kundalini does not like to be used as therapy since it is much more than that. On the other hand any reason is a valid one for engaging in a practice, and a lot of things can serve as guides on our path, including those that are quite ruthless or extreme, depending on what perspective they can be viewed from. Of course, those are ideals, so better do whatever is possible to uphold the habit and keep going. Wish you strength to get through these hard times.
Go to Top of Page

Max

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  6:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I need it and I will pursue.
Max
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000