Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 breath and spine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Don

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  1:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When i try to coordinate the in and out breath with the rising and falling of the energy, it is very difficult. If i just focus my attention up and down the spine and just let the breathing do what it does ( like in deep meditation), it works much better. Is this okay?
Thank You

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  1:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don,

In Spinal breathing pranayama we do not co-ordinate the breath with the rising and falling of energy in the body. What we are doing is moving the attention up and down the sushumna nadi with the breath. So as you breathe in, you go up the nadi from root to brow, as you breathe out you go back down. If you have difficulty doing that, then you can jump to the ajna chakra at the end of inhalation and then continue as normal, or similarly jump to root chakra at the end of exhalation and continue as normal. But if there is no co-ordination between the breath and the movement of attention the practice will lose much of its power.

Christi

p.s. welcome to the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Don

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2012 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you,
I will practice that in next practice.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2012 :  8:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can seperate both techniques for a while until you can do both at the same time. Breath in and out sloowly for some rounds. After that let the breath do the way it does and go with your attention up and down with the same speed as you were breathing before but now without consiously breathing. After some up/downs add the breathing. It may feel like you are pulling something up while breathing in and pushing it down while breathing out.

Sooner or later it will become easy as everything else in life. First you can only do one thing at a time, later automatically more.

Welcome and enjoy the practice :)
Go to Top of Page

Don

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed that I am trying too much in the breathing. I am noticing that if I treat the breathing like the deep meditation, with no effort, it works much better
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000