Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Mirror Gazing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  03:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just tried something mentioned in another thread here; http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=7685

Basically just stare intensely at your own eyes in a mirror. I only did it for a minute or so before I got freaked out by it. It gave me ecstatic rushes and I almost started to feel hypnotized by my own gaze. Yes, I'm incredibly narcissistic.
But no seriously, I got really weirded out by this.

So does anyone know what this practice does and its effects?

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  04:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chaz,

I'll repost this again:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=7685#67985

This practice is just a passing experience like any other... But mirrors are used in "dark arts" or spiritism as I mentioned in that post. A drawing of a certain talisman is drawn on the back of the mirror and a certain prayer is repeated at a certain time and date after being prepared physically by doing a certain amount of prayers and fasting for 3 or 7 days usually... Depending on how you use it, when the invocation is done that lower or higher being will appear in the mirror in front of you instead of your image and you could speak with it and tell it what it is you want... I don't know why I really shared this in the open but I felt like I should... Best not play around with this mirror stuff much...

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  04:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oi! That sounds like freaky stuff man, I'm NOT messing with it. It was just strange how entranced I became, and then I realized I was getting rushes of ecstasy and was like woah...

I have no interest in the dark arts though. Just wanted to know what the practice was all about and why after about a minute it seemed like I was being mesmerized by my very own eyes! Weird stuff.

*sigh* I love Yoga. And reading these forums at 4am in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  04:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I might be wrong you know... I am just giving my own personal feedback on the matter along with that of my old buddies... Last time me and my buddies checked into the mirror we didn't see anything pleasant... Maybe I should go check again

Non the less, I said what I said because it's best to lay out everything in the open...

Salam my brother... I usually wake up every often between 4 and 5 am... It's a good time to pray or meditate...

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  05:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wake up at 4 or 5am? LOl Ananda!

Now going to sleep at 4 or 5, that's more like it.

I tried the mirror gazing a bunch when the k first started it. I hadn't read about it as a practice like these dark arts or whatever. Interesting things did appear in the mirror though; they images were always changing but I think it's more likely to be reflections of our subconscious mind than "evil spirits".

But believe what you want. Just don't get really blazed and do it!
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  05:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes try and see for yourself my friend, you'd be surprised how mesmerizingly mysterious the person staring back at you is. That or maybe the Chaz in the mirror dimension has siddhis (no wonder I can't resist looking at him everytime I pass a mirror )

And yes it's always best to keep things in the open, an air of secrecy tends to make people gasping with curiosity wanna breathe it all in. The less hidden things are, the less people go seeking after without sound judgement.

And you know what? I'm gonna pray right now since you mentioned it. I haven't slept yet so I may save the meditating for when I wake up. It certainly is a powerful time frame to take advantage of. I wish I was more of a morning person to do so.

Shalom, my friend.
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  05:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We crossed posted TTN. You know what? Just about everyday now I've been falling asleep at about 4 or 5 am. My sleep schedule is all sorts of messed up. I blame summer, late nights out, and weed naps.

Edited by - Chaz on Jul 21 2012 06:23:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  06:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shalom amigo
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  07:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to wake up early some days (like 7 or 8am)... it's good to have a regular sleep schedule. But I've never understood how people get up *that* early, like 4 or 5am. It would conflict with my social schedule for sure.

We have quite a mix of people here on AYP which is how it should be. But that means young and more mature people, as well as city and country people, and introverted and extroverted people. That will all contribute to how we view, and live, life.

Also, when it's hot, it's almost impossible to go to bed early. That's why the Spanish go to bed so late!

Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  2:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah during High School busses were usually at the bus stop by 6:30 so that meant waking up (or at least attempting to) at 5am if you wanted to get a good morning start. Man was that a pain in the ass for me.

And I agree, I'm very fond of this community actually. Very diverse yet all united by a worthy and noble goal. I'm sure I'm a rare breed here myself. I'm like any other teenager trying to piece the puzzles of life together only I'm lucky enough to have found the tools necessary for my success early on in that pursuit. Thus, I will always be eternally grateful for AYP and Yogani. Lots of useful information can be found here, and I like to learn so reading the forums is a practice in it's own right for me.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  9:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chaz

Yeah during High School busses were usually at the bus stop by 6:30 so that meant waking up (or at least attempting to) at 5am if you wanted to get a good morning start. Man was that a pain in the ass for me.

And I agree, I'm very fond of this community actually. Very diverse yet all united by a worthy and noble goal. I'm sure I'm a rare breed here myself. I'm like any other teenager trying to piece the puzzles of life together only I'm lucky enough to have found the tools necessary for my success early on in that pursuit. Thus, I will always be eternally grateful for AYP and Yogani. Lots of useful information can be found here, and I like to learn so reading the forums is a practice in it's own right for me.

I agree, the diversity in the community is great!

I tend to think there's probably a lot of people here that were on the path way before they found ecstatic conductivity or inner silence, and then there's others where the k found them. That can be a big cultural difference, and while k is apt to change one's life quite a bit, it's not gonna change basic likes and dislikes, or natural proclivities!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  06:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

I like to wake up early some days (like 7 or 8am)... it's good to have a regular sleep schedule. But I've never understood how people get up *that* early, like 4 or 5am. It would conflict with my social schedule for sure.

We have quite a mix of people here on AYP which is how it should be. But that means young and more mature people, as well as city and country people, and introverted and extroverted people. That will all contribute to how we view, and live, life.

Also, when it's hot, it's almost impossible to go to bed early. That's why the Spanish go to bed so late!

Dear, between 7 and 8 am is my usual wake up time... I usually sleep between 11:45 and 12:30 unless when I am out... But I've noticed that the waking up between 4 and 5 am every now and then has something to do with all the bhakti work I am involved in... Whenever I wake up in this hour I feel it as a blessing... Sometimes I pray and sometimes I meditate... At others I just stay in bed and keep on repeating the name of Allah within me... Hope to visit Spain someday...

Love,
Ananda

Edited by - Ananda on Jul 22 2012 06:36:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  04:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

Dear, between 7 and 8 am is my usual wake up time... I usually sleep between 11:45 and 12:30 unless when I am out... But I've noticed that the waking up between 4 and 5 am every now and then has something to do with all the bhakti work I am involved in... Whenever I wake up in this hour I feel it as a blessing... Sometimes I pray and sometimes I meditate... At others I just stay in bed and keep on repeating the name of Allah within me... Hope to visit Spain someday...

Love,
Ananda

Hey Ananda :D

Yes, I love waking up early too sometimes! I enjoy sitting in my window and looking out on the peace of the external world that's really only available in those early morning hours. Sitting there with a coffee and absorbing all the birdsongs and the beautiful light before the city wakes up.
Go to Top of Page

BuddhiHermit

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2012 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit BuddhiHermit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Having used this technique fairly regularly for some 25 years, I have found it has levels and layers not apparent at first usage.

You should gaze gently, not stare intensely.

All good and evil images are merely artefacts of purification, however, any reasonable protection regime can provide comfort.

The intent should be, to see the real you.

Namaste

Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  04:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is very interesting!!

i wanted to share something that happened to me 'not on purpose'

I was on vacation last year in Asia, with my boyfriend.

it was in the evening in our hotel room, and we were feeling very chilled out and relaxed.

I got up and went to the bathroom. I was washing my hands. The light in the bathroom was off, and there was just some light from outsid the bathroom shining in slightly. I looked at my eyes, they looked black and bulbous. The pupils I mean. I actually commented to my partner.

then I closed the bathroom door,a nd turned the light on.

I sat down, and as I glanced over into the mirror, I almost had a heartattack. My eyes looked extgremely different, and not just from the sudden light being in my eyes. There was 'someone' else staring out of my eyes. there was a rather strange curious look from my eyes, that were looking back at me. I ran out of the bathroom and told my partner,saying something/someone is behind my eyes, looking out at me.

One of the more freaky events I have had to date!

the eyes thingy is v powerful !

I have done the mirror thing before, or even just glancing over at an object and holding that stare, and eventually everything in the room vanishes from sight, incluing the object, and all around is just bathed in golden light.

Go to Top of Page

BuddhiHermit

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  4:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit BuddhiHermit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to let you know Sparkie, It's normal to see someone looking back at you.

That someone is YOU.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

swaha

Lebanon
88 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2012 :  05:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nothing to worry about concerning the mirror gazing method.
i did it myself for a week or so a while ago.. and yes, it was a bit scary to see all those faces changing.. sometimes pretty distorted.
Yet i went on without blinking. What to 'fear' except Allah :)

So, to anyone who is still interested in this mirror gazing technique, here are Osho's instructions on how to do it and the meaning and benefits of it:

Close the doors of your room and put a big mirror just in front of you. The room must be dark. Then put a small flame by the side of the mirror in such a way that it is not directly reflected in it. Just your face is reflected in the mirror -not the flame. Then constantly stare into your own eyes in the mirror. Do not blink.

This is a forty-minute experiment. Within two or three days you will be able to focus your eyes without blinking. Even if tears come, let them come but persist in not blinking. And go on staring constantly into your eyes. Do not change the stare. Go on staring into the eyes - your OWN...And within two or three days you will become aware of a very strange phenomenon. Your face will begin to take new shapes.You may even get scared.

The face in the mirror will begin to change. Sometimes a very different face will be there which you have never known as yours. But, really, all these faces belong to you. Now the subconscious mindis beginning to explode these faces. These masks are yours!

Sometimes even a face that belongs to your past life may come in. And after one week of constant staring for forty minutes, your face will become just a flux, just a film-like flux. Many faces will be coming and going constantly. After three weeks you will not be able to remember which is your face. Your own face, you will not be able to remember, because you have seen so many faces coming and going.

If you continue anyway, then after three weeks the strangest thing happens. Suddenly there is no face in the mirror. The mirror is vacant. You are staring into emptiness. There is no face at all. This is the moment! Close your eyes, and encounter the unknown. When there is no face in the mirror just close your eyes. This is the most significant moment. Close the eyes, look inside and you will face the unknown. You will be naked, completely nothing, as you ARE.

Edited by - swaha on Aug 29 2012 05:20:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000