Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 I'm New! + Question re: Dynamic Jalandhara Source
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiatlux

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,
I'm new here and this is my first post. I practice Kriya Yoga in the Hariharananda lineage and somehow stumbled on this site. The AYP practices seem nice and clean and accessible, which is great to share them with the world!

My question is regarding the "Dynamic Jalandhara" / chin pump. I'm curious what the origin of this practice is? Khechadi Mudra and others are really often referred to in yoga classics like Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Gherandita Samhita, etc. But I haven't ever read about the chin pump in any traditional yoga texts.

Did AYP just simplify Lahiri Mahasaya's Thokkar Kriya and call it Dynamic Jalandhara or is there a common source from which AYP and Lahiri got this technique? If you have any cites, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  11:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the original source of Dynamic Jalandhara but I can say that it greatly improved my pranayama as a deeper development from static jalandhara. i had been intuitively going in that direction already, holding my head in various positions other than just chin down ( head back, to the side, etc) and since I had never been taught that had doubts if it was "correct". The dynamic jalandhara put my worries to rest and gave me a clear direction to practice in that way.What definitely feels incorrect os to do breething retentions with the head up as in meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  12:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@fiatlux

in general the spinal breath is not much discussed in any original text, yet in the bhagavad gita there is a hint to it. To me it looks like a kriya yogic technique with its origin in living masters. I'm sure yogani had insight into the teachings of one or more kriya yoga masters or at least to the book from Paulsen and teaches it in a simplified way here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000