Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Re: Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Narayani

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  2:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been meditating for a few years. I am new to this meditation. I started it few days ago. Is it ok to repeat the mantra during the day (I am used to doing that previously). I know the recommended time is 20 min in the morning and then in the evening. Can I increase the time for 30 min? Can i sometimes meditation during the day? Thank you .Namaste

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  3:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Narayani

quote:
Chanting I AM is not recommended if you are using it in your daily meditation. The reason is that we use the mantra for going inward to stillness of mind and body. Chanting is an outside activity. We want the habit with the mantra to be going in. In time, you will think the mantra once and be gone into pure bliss consciousness. Your nervous system will become habituated to dive into the meditative state at the drop of a hat – a wonderful ability to have in this hectic world. If you love to chant, find something else to use. Chanting has its own benefits and is wonderful, especially in groups. Stick with using the I AM mantra for going in with the simple but powerful procedure of meditation. If you like to use I AM at bedtime as you go to sleep, that's okay, but keep it inside. Keep in mind it can be very stimulating for some people, especially as we further awaken kundalini. That could keep you awake. Of course, it is okay to use I AM in regular conversation. That is fine. That is on the level of meaning. Meditation is beyond verbal meaning, on levels of inner refinement of the vibration of thought where there is much more power.

http://www.aypsite.org/59.html

If you want to increase the time meditating to 30 mins I can't see it being a problem. As long as you self pace (http://www.aypsite.org/38.html) if your daily activity is negatively affected.

I can't comment on meditating more than twice a day because I've never tried it. I would see how it goes with twice a day first - you can have too much of a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  5:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Narayani,

if you did just start, better take it easy and gradually work your way up over time as the lessons recommend. I too have done other forms of meditation before starting with DM, and it differs, so the time limit is suggested with that in mind. There is plenty of opportunity to increase your practice duration with additions such as spinal breathing, so there's already a lot to take up over time. With a clearer picture that comes from your own experience, it'll be easier to know where to push forward or what to cut back then. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello narayani and welcome to the forum
me too i have been meditating for years before coming to ayp neverthless when i started ayp in early 2011 i took it very gradually as indicated in the lessons...believe me those 20 min are very efficient and 'condensed' practice... it is wiser to start one ayp practice (for ex: Deep meditation) then gradually build on it adding spinal breathing....one should not add any new practice before several weeks (sometimes few months) to make sure that all is smooth...the reason for this is that overload does not appear in few days it might appear after some time if we are rushing things...all the best

Edited by - maheswari on Jul 13 2012 5:57:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  6:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest u read lesson 69 & 107
TGIY
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  11:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheswari, you started with AYP then? Guess that means we share the same starting date. Would have never guessed, and always thought it was before that for whatever reason.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  05:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Narayani,

Congratulations on you fiery Bhakti! If you can maintain it it will take you a long way. I hope you will find some use in the answers on your questions below:

1. No, it is not recommended to use the mantra during the day.
quote:
Originally posted by Yogani in lesson 59
Chanting I AM is not recommended if you are using it in your daily meditation. The reason is that we use the mantra for going inward to stillness of mind and body. Chanting is an outside activity. We want the habit with the mantra to be going in. In time, you will think the mantra once and be gone into pure bliss consciousness. Your nervous system will become habituated to dive into the meditative state at the drop of a hat – a wonderful ability to have in this hectic world. If you love to chant, find something else to use. Chanting has its own benefits and is wonderful, especially in groups. Stick with using the I AM mantra for going in with the simple but powerful procedure of meditation.
More info on this can be found in lesson 59.

2. One of the pillars of the AYP system is Self Pacing (you can look this term up in the Topic Index for relevant lessons). In short it means that we are careful and conservative when it comes to adding practices. Practices are only added one at at time, and only when we are stable and consistent with our current routine. This is important so that the effects of practice don't interfere to much with your day to day life. If the effects become to overwhelming, one has to cut down on or stop all practices, which is something we want to prevent. The results of doing a relatively small amount of consistent practices over a long period of time are far greater than short bouts of intense practice. My advice to you is to meditate with the IAM mantra twice a day for at least several weeks before new practices are added. As Maheswari suggested before, the logical next step would be to add Spinal Breathing to your routine.

3. Increasing the time of your mediation can be reviewed after a few months of consistent practice.

4. More than 2 sessions a day are only done in a retreat setting.

Beware that the effects of practice can be delayed; it can take a few weeks before it becomes clear how your system reacts to the new practice. All the more reason to wait longer then a few days before increasing the intensity or duration of these practices. Been there, done that and it is definitely not recommended :)

Good luck to you!

Edited by - Medea on Jul 14 2012 05:26:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
:)
Dear Aumnaturel yes i started in january 2011...despite those 'years of yoga ' whether in ayp or before ayp i stil feel im in kindergarden..still have to let go more

Edited by - maheswari on Jul 14 2012 6:42:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Narayani

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  9:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your replies. For sure the best thing to do is take it easy and go one step at a time. There is no need to rush in anything. Things will slowly unfold with patience and regular practice. Thank you all and enjoy the practice.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000