AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Resting after DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  11:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

When we are having rest after DM we do nothing and rest in silence. Does it mean that we should put a bit effort to rest in silence and not to mind the thoughts? Or this should be like in DM, leting go off control of the mind and just be with whatever is happening?

Also during Samyama, when we are releasing sutra's in silence, what do we do when we start thinking? To where do we come back? Same question also appears here. We should put some effort to be in silence and don't mind the thoughts so Samyama can work?

Thank you

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For resting, the lessons do not specify anything, which means simply remaining with eyes closed and even laying down. I don't think it is meant to be an extension of meditation in any way, which would go against the purpose of allowing things to settle down.

For samyama, when we realize we are off the practice, like in DM, the instructions are to easily return to where we left off and continue from there. This is also considered a symptom of purification. Effort is another form of holding on, and since samyama instructions emphasize the letting go first and foremost, better to go with the instructions than add anything to them. I have found the DM just before samyama to really promote more natural silence, and that is very likely why they have been arranged in that order.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  1:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
When we are having rest after DM we do nothing and rest in silence

it is not doing nothing...it is the most important part of the session...allowing the purification to settle down..personally although i meditate on the floor,after i finish the session i relax on the bed ...you can feel the settling down,sometimes going into no mind/deep sleep state for a couple of minutes....
then off course, get up, go out and get seriously active loll
TGIY
Go to Top of Page

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  7:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also had a question on this. While we are "resting" does this mean that we try not to have thoughts? Or as long as we have our eyes closed and are in a relaxed position we can think about whatever we want? Like what groceries we have to get later?

What exactly are we supposed to be doing in the rest period??
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  01:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
u are supposed not to do ...just rest and relax....do not think about what you should do next..
Go to Top of Page

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So if a thought comes to mind just easily let the thought go and try to keep your mind empty of thoughts?

That seems to be a specific type of practice, akin to what you do in transition between meditation and samyama, where you try to keep your mind empty of thoughts and when thoughts come you allow them to come but just easily let them go and not entertain them.

I mention this because the easiest thing to do, actually for me, is just to let a stream of thoughts take me over and just follow them whereever they go. It takes more "effort" to let thoughts come and let them go and try to keep my mind empty.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  6:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi OneLeaf,
You just rest. If thoughts come up naturally, go with it.. what Maheswari was telling is don't use that time to go over a chore list... but if they come up, don't push it away, nor get caught up in them. Don't "try" to make your mind empty.
Does this make sense?

PS: Just saw this... and this is perfect!
quote:
Originally posted by OneLeaf

I mention this because the easiest thing to do, actually for me, is just to let a stream of thoughts take me over and just follow them whereever they go. It takes more "effort" to let thoughts come and let them go and try to keep my mind empty.

Go to Top of Page

OneLeaf

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  8:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Got it Shanti and Maheswari Thanks.

So basically just close my eyes and try to relax and don't use that time to try to mentally do something productive like run through my errands list, but if thoughts come I can just go with them as long as i'm relaxing.

Basically, having thoughts is ok but just relax.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  9:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You got it!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  7:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You sit and whatever happens happens and it is ok =P When you go to bed for sleeping, its like that.

When the witness gets more and more dominant, it will be more clear and easy. But basically you already did it how it was meant to be.
Go to Top of Page

roboto212

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  12:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Do not meditate – be!
Do not think that you are – be!
Don’t think about being – you are!"

-Ramana Maharshi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000