New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  05:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure it is different for each of us and as others have pointed out, above, there are SO many variables, including whatever may have occurred in our past lives. I began practicing yoga in 1976 at age 13 and joined SRF around 1981. I recall being informed in the SRF Lessons how long it was supposed to take if you did your daily kriyas according to the plan, but I also remember being dubious and suspecting that it probably wouldn't happen in this life. Kept doing kriya as my core practice, while also studying many other practices including mantra, tantra, etc., including many of the techniques discussed here at AYP. Was "celibate" for 14 years, then met my tantric partner in 2005.

Last May after a total of 35 years of yoga practice I was introduced to my teacher Mark Whitwell (Heart of Yoga) and about 3 minutes into doing his form of asana with pranayama my entire reality shifted (described here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=10107). Everything SRF had promised, and WAY more. I have no way of knowing whether it was the total number of kriyas performed over all those years, or the efficacy of Mark's simple technique, or destiny/timing, or some combination thereof, or none of the above. Can't help wondering if it would have happened much sooner had I known about AYP or HOY. All I really know is that apparently yes, it is possible to occur (liberation) in this lifetime, which is a huge relief to everyone on the path.

But, my teacher says we should not think of "enlightenment" as if it is some future "goal" to be achieved; rather, we do our yoga practice in order to celebrate the Union which already exists. It is already within us. The yoga practice is more like removing the veil so we can realize it. So we consistently do our daily practice as a pleasure, to enjoy that underlying Oneness, and then one day our meditation spills over into our daily life and it all becomes One - which it already was except we didn't realize it. Should not really matter how long it takes; rather, we can enjoy the ride.

Edited by - Radharani on May 24 2012 5:09:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  09:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikkiji
For most people on a life-long spiritual journey (and, after all, that's all there really is to do in life...)

That really is it.

I really enjoyed your blog "how I got here - my path so far." Thank you for taking the time to share it openly.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000