Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 The I AM mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jose

Spain
40 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  1:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm new posting here but not reading through the AYPSite lessons.

After a while reading I decided that it was time to get down to business with my spiritual development so I started meditating 3-4 weeks ago. As advised by Yogani, I started with the 20 min. DM on I AM but despite having re-read Yogani's lesson, I still get the feeling that I'm doing something wrong.

One is supposed to chant I AM until one feels calmer or there is more peace/quietude inside, right?

When I start meditating firstly I anchor my mind to any physical feeling I get at the moment (my legs touching the ground, my hands on my legs, etc), and then I start chanting I AM but after a while I realize my mind gets 'noisier' than before. Then I stop chanting, focus again on the breath, any physical feeling and when I start feeling the inner witness again I think: 'Ok, now you are supposed to start with the I AM' and when I do it, the mental 'noise' (distractions, me getting involved in whatever thought comes in) comes back.

Am I doing something wrong here?

And, being Spanish, should I chant 'Yo Soy' instead of 'I Am'? Since the beginning I had this doubt since English is not my mother tongue.

Regards,
José

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  1:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Jose and welcome
the process is much much easier....the mantra is repeated ,once you drift you just get back to it...see how easy it is?
there is no chanting,no focusing on the physical sensations,no focusing on the breath....none
just repeating the mantra and going back to it when we notice that we drifted
I AM is a mantra based on vibrations...we do not focus on the english meaning of it....so I AM is really AYAM...there is no focus AT ALL on the enlgish meaning...therefore you should NOT say it in spanish
please read the following lesson concerning the technique
http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

as for the mind getting noisier...this is very natural...actually this is a very good sign
this means lots of obstructions are being released from your nervous system...it is like spring cleaning
check this lesson
http://www.aypsite.org/15.html

Love
maheswari

Edited by - maheswari on May 13 2012 1:38:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jose

Spain
40 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  3:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari
hello Jose and welcome

Thanks Maheswari

quote:
I AM is a mantra based on vibrations...we do not focus on the english meaning of it....so I AM is really AYAM...there is no focus AT ALL on the enlgish meaning...therefore you should NOT say it in spanish
please read the following lesson concerning the technique
http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

Yes, that's exactly what I understood in first place when I read that lesson but last night I read a free sample available on this website of the novel The secret of Wilder where it's explained:

"While driving home, John pondered all that he had ever heard or read
in the Bible about I AM. He remembered it was I AM who addressed
Moses. He remembered Jesus referring to himself as I AM several times.
He remembered him saying:

Before Abraham I AM.

He remembered the famous words Jesus spoke that penetrated his being
when he was only six years old, attending Sunday school for the first time:

I AM the way, and the truth, and the life. No
one comes to the Father except though Me.

That left me baffled because, in a Spanish Bible, obviously, you will read those sentences in caps translated as YO SOY instead of I AM, so... When Yogani talks about the vibration of the I AM, there must be the same vibration in the (YO) SOY and JE SUIS, right?

quote:
Originally posted by maheswari
(...)as for the mind getting noisier...this is very natural...actually this is a very good sign
this means lots of obstructions are being released from your nervous system...it is like spring cleaning

Yes, I understand this. In the past, when I've tried to meditated on any physical feeling or the breath my mind's got very busy following every thought it's encountered. But now, when I repeat the I AM, instead of 'hearing' one inner voice I hear two: One talking to itself about ordinary things, ordinary thought, daydreaming, and the second repeating I AM. It's like having 2 neighbors talking next door instead of just one

Is this also natural?
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  3:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfectly natural, Jose. Be sure that repeating the mantra is done silently, not out loud. The ordinary flow of thoughts will still happen, the idea is to pay no special attention to it and just repeat the mantra, much as perhaps your body might fidget a bit at first, but pay no special attention to it. I can see your confusion with the language , especially since the bible was written in neither English or Spanish but Hebrew. This part is not important though since this practice is not bible based. perhaps the references in Wilder were written to appeal to Christians (or Jews) who would find it unfamiliar or foreign otherwise. No matter what language you speak the mantra is the same , "I AM, or AYAM". I would highly encourage you to read the lessons starting at the beginning and all these questions should be answered and more,
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  4:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But now, when I repeat the I AM, instead of 'hearing' one inner voice I hear two: One talking to itself about ordinary things, ordinary thought, daydreaming, and the second repeating I AM. It's like having 2 neighbors talking next door instead of just one

yes it is perfectly natural....just stick to your routine practice ie repeat the mantra and pick it up again when you loose it ...as Victor said the flow of thoughts will still happen but do not give them attention...
as for the Secret of Wilder quote...well the character in this story comes from a judeo-christian background...so it is normal that he will be comparing AYAM with the background he is coming from...

Edited by - maheswari on May 13 2012 4:09:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jose

Spain
40 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  6:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Victor & Maheswari,

First of all, thanks for your time and advice; I really appreciate it.

Victor wrote:
quote:
I can see your confusion with the language , especially since the bible was written in neither English or Spanish but Hebrew.

Wouldn't it have been less confusing to spell the mantra as AYAM?

quote:
I would highly encourage you to read the lessons starting at the beginning and all these questions should be answered and more

Yes, last night I went back to the beginning -for the third time- in order to get things clear.

Maheswari wrote:
quote:
as for the Secret of Wilder quote...well the character in this story comes from a judeo-christian background...so it is normal that he will be comparing AYAM with the background he is coming from...

Well, Yogani mentions quite often Jesus and the Christian religion in his lessons. He must come from a judeo-christian background and/or wants to appeal to Christians. Has he ever told how he came across yoga?
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  10:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jose and welcome,

you will find some referring to the mantra as AYAM as well. In the actual book you will see an addition that mentions it on lesson 13.
Go to Top of Page

Jose

Spain
40 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  02:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello AumNaturel,

Thank you for the reference. I will look it up as soon as I some spare time today.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000