Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Heart centering warm up question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

powski

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  8:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In the pictures of poses, for this asant I see the leg bent, with knee towards the solar plexus.
But the text states when you're finished massaging up the leg (each with once, with both hands?) to then push gently into your solar plexus with both hands.

Could someone clarify the right way to do this?

thanks!

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  02:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Powski,

I think the reason the leg is bent in the picture is that the figure has tot do that to reach the toes. I don't think it has anything to do with the solar plexus.

From the book "Asanas, Mudra's and Bandha's"
quote:
Now do both legs from the toes all the way up to the heart - just a gentle moving two-handed massage on each leg. As you come up from each leg press in gently on your belly and solar plexus region with both hands on the way up to the heart.

So the way I do it is to massage one leg with both hands, until I'm at the top of the leg. Then I place both hands on my belly, fingers a little spread and the tips facing each other. I press lightly; just enough to feel a mild pressure on the intestines. Then I move my hands to the solar plexus area and with my fingertips, I give a same sort of pressure.

More info on asana's and the AYP system in general can also be found in the AYP Easy lessons for Ecstatic Living book (highly recommended) or at the online Topic Index under "Asana". Hope this helps!

Edited by - Medea on May 13 2012 04:43:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

powski

USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your helpful response!
Go to Top of Page

ClearAvatar

Ghana
12 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  3:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it necessary to press in on the solar plexus area?
And what is its significance in the routine?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  4:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I share Medea's suggestion that there is no deliberate pressing into the plexus. It is a quick overall body massage, and we trace in towards the heart because I believe it is consistent with the way the organ operates (blood filling the chambers). I think it is helpful to promote a bit of blood circulation and to ease off some of the muscle tension.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  06:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ClearAvatar

And what is its significance in the routine?

Well, for me the significance lies in the fact that, besides releasing muscle tension as AumNaturel mentioned, it seems to centre scattered energies back to the core of my body. It makes my limbs more calm, so it is easier to sit still for practices. I know this may sound a bit vague, but if you have a lot of physical energy/unrest like I sometimes have, you clearly feel the difference with this practice.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  06:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, the main significance of the warm up routine was to bring conscious awareness to each part of the body before engaging in the rest of the practices. I found that it helped connect the mind to the body in a tangible way and that it brought a heightened level of awareness to the practices.

I also found that there was an energetic component to the warm-up. I found that doing the warm up pulled the energies into the torso and made the energetic practices even more effective then they were without it.

Just my two cents.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page

ClearAvatar

Ghana
12 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  07:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your various replies. I find them helpful.
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000