Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Should I see the Doctor??? Or normal Side Effect?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  03:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone:

This is my first post on AYG. I just happened across this site a few weeks ago, and have fallen in love with it. :)

Just a brief bit of background on myself. I have been an off again, on again meditation since the age of 18. As the years have gone by, I started to practise TM on a more regular basis, with sometimes, guided meditation (music meditation) etc etc.

anyway, I found out about Spinal Breathing here, and decided to give it a go a couple of weeks ago.
The first time, the visualization of the SP was fine, but since then, its been a little difficult. I find it hard sometimes, because i don't inhale for long (can't) so by the time I have finished the inhale, i am only about mid way up the spine. Anyway, I am persevering with it, my visualization is not the best anyway. But most of the time, i try to get to the middle of the head, like the SP instructions say, and it works fine

To cut a long story short, I have been having headaches, and getting this weird light headedness. I kind of wondered if it was associated with the SP, which I always follow up with 20mins of meditation. Or maybe was even thinkig it was my blood pressure, which I have never had any issues with before. I plan to see the doctor on Monday if it doesn't improve

Yesterday I was at the shops, and felt so light felt like I could pass out, but figured it was cos I hadn't had lunch. But now, here right now as I type this, I have the light headedness again, even though I have had sufficient food intake.

any inklings if it could be connected to the SP???

Blessings,

Maria

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  04:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkling Diamond - welcome to the AYP Forum

Good idea to see your doctor and rule out any medical cause. In the meantime, I'd be inclined to stop SBP now and see if that helps. Also - explain the practice to your doctor when you see him/her so that they can advise whether it might have this effect on you.

Please keep us posted, and I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by - amoux on May 12 2012 04:28:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  08:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Amoux

I am pretty sure I have hypoglycemia. It runs in my family :(

I have been careful with my diet, cutting back on carbs and it's made a major difference

I did stop meditation for a few days, but feel confident now, that it was not the problem.

blessings,

Maria
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  12:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear you're feeling better
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  04:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear SparklingDiamond,

The trick with taking deep, long breaths is doing three part diaphragmatic breathing and on the out breathe, to control the breathe through restricting "throat valve" (ujjayi breathing) like this:

1. Rapid breathe out, releasing all air from the body

Now you start:

2. Breathe in, with open throat, filling in the belly (expanded), raising the diaphragm, filling in the chest cavity, right up to the collar-bone.

3. Breathe out by expelling the breathe via the throat and closing the flap there slightly, restricting the breath release and making a hissing sound (you can feel the vibrations if you put your fingers at the base of your throat)

That should give you adequate time to complete in trace cycle of the spinal nerve. However, do note that at some point, breath may cease on its own - and that is normal - the flow of prana takes over.

I hope you find this helpful.

And welcome to the forum

Sey
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  10:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you amoux and Hi Sey

Thank you also for the advice on breathing Sey

I have done Ashtanga yoga in the past so I can relate to this type of breathing.

I have ceased my meditations since I started this post, but NEED to resume soon, my stress levels are starting to rise.

one other thing i wanted to mention is all symptoms of faintness/dizziness have passed. I did some research and apparently, a low grain/carb diet is very helpful. I have been keeping alow carb diet, and so far sooo good. But still to see the doctor.

Thanks again for your helpful replies both to amoux and you sey.

Blessings,

Maria
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000