Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 High highs and low lows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zigavoo

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  12:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been practicing Pranayama Breathing, Deep Meditation and Samyama for about two months on a regular basis both in the morning and evening. It takes me about 1/2 hour to get through each session. After doing this for two months I felt I could up my practice by doing Amaroli. I finally got up the nerve to do it and have been at it for 2 weeks now. I have also included Mulabandha and Sambhavi Mudra for two weeks as well.

I have witnessed some unusual things happening. After a week into Amaroli, Mulabandha and Sambhavi Mudra I noticed during Pranayama breathing there began to be an unfamiliar surge of energy within my body that occurred on the up breath and has grown stronger ever since. I took it to mean a good sign but in my daily activity I have been very irritable and sluggish to the point where it feels I have not been getting enough sleep when I know I have been. I feel very indifferent to everyone around me, I feel weak in verbal communication and feel a lack of motivation to do all the thousands of things I have to do. These are all things that usually happen to me from lack of sleep but I have been getting my standard 8 hours so there has got to be a different correlation.

I know AYP is all about self pacing but I was wondering if I keep doing what I am doing will it turn around or do I need to refrain from a portion of practice? If I need to cut a practice from my routine how do I know which one to cut now? Are these things I am going through normal to the process of purification? Should I just stay the course?

Your comments would be helpful.

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  02:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Two months is an unusually short time to become stable in so many practices. Most would be OK with SB (5 mins) plus 20mins DM. Before you add Samayama there needs to be a degree of silence comming up during DM.

I would return to just the SB and DM and see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  04:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like too many practices too quickly - and you're in overload territory. Possibly eliminate the last practice you took up first and see how that works for you. If that doesn't appeal - then maybe try cutting practice times in half - 5m SBP, 10m DM, 5m Samayama for example. Or cut Samayama out for the time being. Also, ground as much as possible - walking, work in the garden, and so on.

We've probably all been there - adding too many practices too quickly - and this is a great opportunity to learn the gentle skill of self-pacing.

Best of luck to you.
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  04:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi zigavoo,

feeling irritable and sluggish during the day are classic signs of over doing your practices. It is mentioned many times in the lessons that trying to blast trough obstacles like this does more bad then good for most practitioners. Your nervous system can only handle a certain amount of purification at any given time, and consistently burdening it with too much of this can create much bigger problems then you are experiencing now. Apparently you have a lot of Bhakti which is a good thing, but you should use it now to build op a practice you can sustain for a long time while minimising side effects in daily life.

The basis of the AYP system is (next to self-pacing) spinal breathing pranayama & deep meditation. Like Karl, I would advice you to drop all practices except those two, and work with them for at least a couple of weeks. When you feel very stable in these practices, (so no or very minor side effects) one can add new practices one by one and give each a few weeks minimal to settle in. Some practices will need a couple of months before they are stable. If there appear to many side effects with adding a new practise, drop it and try again at a later time.

To give you an idea; the time it took me to take up all the practices you are talking about (amaroli excluded)was almost 1,5 years. And trust me, my progress has been fast and steady It is an illusion of the mind that doing as much practices as you can in the shortest amount of time will create faster progress. From my own experience I can tell you it is almost always the opposite...
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  12:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You might try eliminating the amaroli first and see if that has a positive effect. I'm not doing amaroli now but when i did add it into my practices I became extremely tired, much like you describe. About two days off the amaroli and my usual energy came back. Also it would seem to me that even though you're doing several practices, you are only doing about half hour total practice which is not a huge amount. So perhaps try not doing the amaroli for a few days and see what changes there are if any.
Go to Top of Page

zigavoo

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  10:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you very much for the feedback everyone. It has been helpful.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  11:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly the symptoms I get when I overload, cut back on practices until you feel back to normal.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  12:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of questions...
1) How much are you resting after your practice session?

"irritable and sluggish" can happen if you dont rest enough after your practice sessions... Don't forget to rest 10 min or more after each session.

2) How close to bed time is your second session?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000