Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Eyes not fully closed during Deep Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thamior

Russia
4 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  04:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello to all the AYP community. I have experienced another problem with my AYP practice. I found that I cannot keep eyes fully shut while being relaxed. I make my DM practice at my PC with a set timer with alarm. I noticed that I constantly see my keyboard while meditating and I realise I can't think about anything but it. Have anyone experineced something similar? How would you suggest me to deal with it? Thanks.

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  05:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Thamior,
Don't you have quiet room or bedroom where you could meditate rather than in front of the PC? Also if you find that your eyes are still not fully shut once in the quiet room - dont worry too much about it - just keep coming back to the mantra - just treat it as distraction.
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  08:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have this problem. The solution: meditate in the complete darkness in a place where you cannot see any objects. This way, even if your eyes open a bit, it is just like they're closed.
Go to Top of Page

axelschlotzhauer

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  09:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see no problem though another place should be tested if the same reactions appear.

Buddhist meditation prefers half closed eyes as also buddha statues show for avoiding to fall asleep.Japanese tea against sleeping shall stem from buddha's lids he teared out for avoiding sleep transforming into tea leaves. Open eyes show an advaced withdrawing of the outer senses for inner contemplation.

But remarking an object as an object and nothing else is a high art and presence in Zen beyond inner and outer senses. Are you in seeing the keyboard more outward or inward orientated?

Axel
Go to Top of Page

Thamior

Russia
4 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  09:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I've got only 1 room for myself. It is simultaneosuly my living room, my study, my bedroom and my dining room. No other places better. I just notice that outer stimuli distract me much more than inner ones. And I find it very difficult to pick up mantra or stay with it form more than a second.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  10:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing wrong with putting on a blindfold if it's a problem. Use those things that you get at airports. You should make sure that you get used to distractions.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry too much about it for now. You are doing AYP practice if your intention is set on doing it according to the lessons even if it doesn't yet match entirely. Nurture the habit of gently returning to the mantra, or closing the eyes when you are off either, and give it time.

Can't say I experience that during DM since my eyelids sometimes feel heavy and hold themselves completely closed until I deliberately open them at the end. Then again, my sessions are longer. I do find my eyes open a tiny bit during YMK, but I just close them when that happens and they remain closed afterwards. Not a big deal, though it can be a bit startling to suddenly have vision when thinking the eyes are still closed. It reminds me of falling asleep into a dream while half-way in you have vision and worry that it's your real eyes that are open even though it's just dream vision beginning to form.
Go to Top of Page

axelschlotzhauer

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Can't say I experience that during DM since my eyelids sometimes feel heavy and hold themselves completely closed until I deliberately open them at the end. Then again, my sessions are longer. I do find my eyes open a tiny bit during YMK, but I just close them when that happens and they remain closed afterwards. Not a big deal, though it can be a bit startling to suddenly have vision when thinking the eyes are still closed. It reminds me of falling asleep into a dream while half-way in you have vision and worry that it's your real eyes that are open even though it's just dream vision beginning to form.

What's YMK? Daydreaming with open eyes occurs more often as you think at leasr in 3 Minutes. Not a vision but symbols and pictures formed for your path, often the picture of the guru, are rather common in rituels,prayers, songs and text also for phantasy journeys. a wide and broad imaginary field.

You learn to distinguish it from outer stimuli connected with such conscious daydream.

Axel
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  2:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is short for Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka, or breath retention, with associated mudras and bandhas, as first introduced in lesson 91.

Yes, daydreaming does happen very often. Yesterday during deep meditation a strange self-inquiry came up. I was witnessing and on the mantra while at the same time part of my mind was generating thoughts off-center. The inquiry was, "then who am I" if my mind is there but I am here, simultaneously? I dropped that, and carried on with the mantra. It's nothing new, just a somewhat unusual perspective to see both at the same time, much like when off into thoughts before falling asleep, but waking up and recognizing how automated the thoughts were, how foreign.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000