Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Is There a Get-Your-Life-Together Sutra?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  12:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Okay, so maybe I'm asking for a quick fix here, but seriously I can't think of any other place to start. There are so many things I feel are out of place in my life I can't even begin to dissect everything to figure out where exactly I'm going wrong. Of course there's a lot to love about life and be grateful for, & I try to remind myself of that as often as I can. Simple things make me happy, and that's okay, life doesn't have to be so extravagant, though hopefully I can enjoy some of that too.

I won't go through all the details of my current issues, but let me say they do feel numerous and overwhelming. Life has thrown me out of sync while I desperately try to regain some footing. If anyone wants me to elaborate on what I've been going through, feel free to email me, but for this post I'll try to keep my personal problems at a distance.

I thought the other day that maybe I should drop "Life" or "Lifestyle" into stillness and see what happens. I'm sure this wouldn't magically fix everything, but maybe it might point me in the right direction, help me find some balance and stability. Life has me all over the place, I'm unstable in many ways, have no structure, I've been on a rough path, doing wrong actions that seemed perfectly right only moments before things go bad, getting carried away by emotions and making (HORRIBLE!) impulsive decisions, etc. And quite frankly I just haven't been able to figure out what exactly it is I need to learn from all this. It's like I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong. I thought AYP would work all that out, but although I'm getting good results I still haven't seen a breakthrough.

So has anyone tried something like this? Or has anyone used a sutra to bring more happiness, peace, and balance in their life? I thought the main sutras given would cover it all, but I've been STUCK for too long at this point (or at least I've been FEELING stuck, which is just as bad.) At what point does God say enough with your suffering, now you can live the life your heart is beating for? Certainly the fruit of spirituality is improved quality and way of living, or are we not allowed to enjoy the divine in material life. I cant go after inner bliss if life tries chasing it away.

I just want to live a good life and I want to live it to the fullest. I'm tired of missing out, being held back, going through debilitating circumstances, just to feel unhappy about the current state of my life. I'm ready to move forward with my life, but I don't know how. It's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back for me. It's not helping me get stable in spiritual practice either, which is what I also hope to acomplish. Anyways, I'll quit ranting. I do that often. Hope someone can help, I really don't know what else can at this point.

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  01:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the sutra "dispassion" might be appropriate if your emotions to life is overwhelming. Or maybe "compassion" for your own self is what is in order.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  08:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How about the sutra "show me".

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....=10816#92661
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....=10816#92668

Remember to take one bite at a time. When you look at all the problems as one big thing, it will seem daunting, but the big problem is made of smaller things, address them one at a time and you will see, as one or two start getting solved many more things just fall in place.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

cff

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe "OM" will like divine silence give you whatever you need most.

You may think you need to put your life together through this or that and thus through a sutra you go by trial and error.

I think, when in doubt: use Om.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  8:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Sanskrit syllable "Om" is a mantra which, like all mantras, has a specific effect on mind and body. "Om" is a mantra which is to be used by ascetics for reaching inner silence. BY ASCETICS! This means, it is for people who are cloistered, such as monks, people who are Renunciates, in Sanskrit, a Sannyasa or Sadhu. IF you are a householder and live in the outside world, then using this mantra will cause you to begin to take on the tendencies or qualities of a sadhu. I do not think this is what you are looking for--this is a VERY powerful sound and should not be messed with lightly--be very careful. To seriously "get your life together", 20 minutes twice each day of deep meditation if sufficient. Just keep it up--let's see what happens in 5, 10, 20 or 40 years--yes, it takes time, there is no shortcut. Or, shall we say--this IS the shortcut!
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  07:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chaz,

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. With Samyama, it takes some time for the sutra's to become effective. So if you want to add a new one, make sure you use it consistently for a period of time.
Besides that, keeping your practice regular and light (don't strain!)is the best advice I can give you.

As for using Om; this is not encouraged in combination with deep Meditation and Samyama:

quote:
Yogani:

I AM is very balanced, stable and progressive deep in the nervous system. If we had started with OM for deep meditation we would have had a progressive beginning mantra also, but not such a balanced and stable one deep in the nervous system. In fact, OM can wreak havoc deep in the nervous system if prerequisite housecleaning has not been done. (...) OM is fine for traditional chanting and kirtans (devotional singing), which do not go as deep into the nervous system as we do in our sitting meditation. So don't take this lesson to mean OM should not be used in the traditional ways.

More info here: http://www.aypsite.org/186.html

Good luck!

Edited by - Medea on May 02 2012 09:02:29 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000