Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Grounding vs self-pacing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ddaniel

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  12:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

This is my first topic on AYP, so I want to start out by giving a huge THANK YOU to everyone who participates on this forum. I haven't had to post much, because anything I could think to ask so far has already been brought up and thoroughly answered (the search function is a great thing!)

I'm a 25 year old male living in the USA, and AYP is my first consistent meditation practice. I have been doing DM / Spinal breathing twice daily for about the past 5 months (less consistently for about 5 months before that). I won't bore you too much with my background story, but I had a question I was hoping ya'll could help me with.

Since starting AYP, and particularly spinal breathing (and a little bit of samyama), I have been having a much greater desire to exercise than I have had in the past. My cardiovascular health has been improving (a definite plus!), but i've noticed that when I don't exercise for a few days, I get the symptoms of overload spoken of in the teachings.

My question is this: Is grounding an acceptable substitute for self-pacing?

I feel like I have been making good progress with my practices, but without the daily rigorous exercise, I feel I would be overloading. In other words, I feel as though my bhakti is pushing me forward, but I have been needing serious grounding to keep up with the progress. Is there any danger of this strategy of 'everything in excess'?

I hope that makes sense. This community is truly beautiful, and I can't express how much I appreciate all of you.

Lots of love,
Dave

Edited by - ddaniel on Apr 28 2012 12:19:03 AM

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  05:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
First topic.....excellent

Not sure it's the same for everyone.

Grounding is an activity which should be happening all the time in daily life. It can help to deal with symptoms of overloading but isn't a substitute for self pacing. Deal with the cause and not the symptoms.

If you push too hard with practises you will come to a place where you won't want to do do grounding, or unable to do any activity. It's all self generated but it's real enough.

It's good that Bhakti is supplying the fuel, just keep a careful watch on the temperature gauge, grounding can help with the flow of coolant but it can't remove the heat source.

Edited by - karl on Apr 29 2012 09:28:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  6:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The intention is good, but may not work forever as life-conditions (and inner energy to do all) can change. And a time may come, as karl says, where you have to self-pace even though you are heavily grounding.

If it works right now, go with it. And if you need to self-pace some time, you can still do =)
Go to Top of Page

axelschlotzhauer

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  07:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting an overload by not practising? I cannot judge it having not yet begun a daily practice but see that a good community and communikation was created with a transforming energyfield.

Normally one should think when practice stops also the upward energies stop not overloading this way. Or what is this phenomenon?

Axel
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, as Karl says - do grounding regularly to help prevent overload, but self pace to stop it.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  9:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ddaniel
My question is this: Is grounding an acceptable substitute for self-pacing?

I feel like I have been making good progress with my practices, but without the daily rigorous exercise, I feel I would be overloading. In other words, I feel as though my bhakti is pushing me forward, but I have been needing serious grounding to keep up with the progress. Is there any danger of this strategy of 'everything in excess'?

I don't really see your strategy as being excessive. If anything, it seems like Deep Meditation is compelling you to be more active: stillness in action. It could be excessive, obviously, if you push yourself to injury either in running or on the inside (frying the circuitry from too much practice), but otherwise, why not run with the wind of bhakti?

There's a great scene in Chariots of Fire, in which Eric Liddell is giving a sermon and says these lines from the Bible:
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Also, in The Secrets of Wilder, the zealous John is an avid runner that exerts himself physically as a way of honoring the kundalini energy.

Rock on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000