Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What is Buddhahood according to AYP teachings?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cff

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  08:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I couldn't find a lesson on AYP's take of Buddhahood.

Some of you most experienced members can answer this perhaps?

thanks in advance!

Edited by - AYPforum on Apr 20 2012 08:40:36 AM

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  11:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello cff

quote:
Originally posted by cff

I couldn't find a lesson on AYP's take of Buddhahood.

I don't think you'll find one. Mainly because AYP is a methodology of yoga practice rather than a belief system. Yogani doesn't speak about Buddhahood (to my knowledge), but the writings don't exclude the possibility of Buddhahood.

My take is that these practices lead to Buddhahood and beyond, but I am only 0.01% of AYP

AUM [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  08:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right Cosmic, although the practices lead to that, it is called different things in different religions.
You can see from the news that belonging to any religion can create enemies. It's ironic.
So AYP gives us practices that are useful for any religion, without forsaking any.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  2:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cff

Buddhism, or my take on Buddhism, is that it's a non-sectarian system, which aims at giving its followers effective means to liberate themselves from suffering and become enlightened. It's picked up the status of being a "religion" via thousands of years of tradition.

But to me, at it's heart, it's not really a religion, as there's no deity in Buddhism, and you're not told to blindly believe in anything. It's more about seeking to know the truth for yourself: seeking and finding enlightenment.

This is exactly what AYP is about: seeking, and finding enlightenment. Preferably in the most fast and effective way possible.

Buddhahood, to my understanding means "a state of perfect enlightenment". Again, I would think this is along the lines of the ideal of most AYP practitioners also. It's certainly what AYP seems to lead to (and beyond). AYP would be a great system of practices for a Buddhist wanting to attain Buddhahood.

What's nice about AYP is that is doesn't revere enlightenment too much, as if it's some distant, unobtainable goal. It's about looking at your spiritual practices objectively, in a scientific, cause/effect way, that's simple and easy for everyone to do, and making sure you are on the fast track to Buddhahood.

I suggest here's a pretty good lesson about what Yogani defines as Freedom: http://www.aypsite.org/430.html

In my mind, the word he uses, Freedom, could easily be interchangeable with 'Buddhahood', 'Enlightenment' etc in the context of the above lesson.

Hope this helps.

josh
Go to Top of Page

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  3:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi cff,

You probably already know this but i'll put it out there just in case. The word Buddha is a title. I believe it means "Awakened One" if I remember correctly. There have been many "Awakened Ones" as we all know.

AYP addresses the path to such "awakening" but not the destination (if I may use that word). Addressing these timeless teachings and methods in a non-sectarian way, Yogani actively avoids dressing them in specific cultural or theological trappings...except maybe in reference.

As the saying goes..."Buddha wasn't a Buddhist and Jesus was not a Christian". I view Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi as a practical Buddha of our era. He himself certainly would not have used the term... though to my limited understanding and scope he was seemingly as unexcelled and bounded by nothing as was the Buddha himself.

Just my two cents.

Be Well My Friend
Go to Top of Page

DoctorWho

USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  3:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Hi Cff

Buddhism, or my take on Buddhism, is that it's a non-sectarian system, which aims at giving its followers effective means to liberate themselves from suffering and become enlightened. It's picked up the status of being a "religion" via thousands of years of tradition.

But to me, at it's heart, it's not really a religion, as there's no deity in Buddhism, and you're not told to blindly believe in anything. It's more about seeking to know the truth for yourself: seeking and finding enlightenment.

This is exactly what AYP is about: seeking, and finding enlightenment. Preferably in the most fast and effective way possible.

Buddhahood, to my understanding means "a state of perfect enlightenment". Again, I would think this is along the lines of the ideal of most AYP practitioners also. It's certainly what AYP seems to lead to (and beyond). AYP would be a great system of practices for a Buddhist wanting to attain Buddhahood.

What's nice about AYP is that is doesn't revere enlightenment too much, as if it's some distant, unobtainable goal. It's about looking at your spiritual practices objectively, in a scientific, cause/effect way, that's simple and easy for everyone to do, and making sure you are on the fast track to Buddhahood.

I suggest here's a pretty good lesson about what Yogani defines as Freedom: http://www.aypsite.org/430.html

In my mind, the word he uses, Freedom, could easily be interchangeable with 'Buddhahood', 'Enlightenment' etc in the context of the above lesson.

Hope this helps.

josh

Great post Mr Anderson!

I have considered myself a Buddhist for a long time. Even had the wonderful and precious good fortune of living in the same city as Zachoeje Rinpoche from Tibet and receiving many teachings from him on and off over the years. The trouble is, the Dharma center where he teaches is a very long distance from my house and just recently relocated even further! Arrggh! Hence, I haven't been in a very long while.

But my point it...in finding the AYP teachings (again) I realize it is a much better 'fit' for me and even feels more "Buddhist" if that makes sense.

I would explain it this way: Even though I love, admire and have a great affinity for the Tibetan methods...they are a very rich cultural heritage which I didn't grow up on or was not immersed in since childhood. I didn't realize until fully adopting AYP, that there was always this 'distance' between me and the rich 'cultural origins' of that specific lineage of Buddhism that I could never bridge.

As funny as it may sound...AYP made me feel more in line with the path of the Buddha! Rather like a young Shakyamuni/ Gautama! The kind of independent, truth seeker, burdened with no hoary tradition and forging ahead to seek through my direct experience the answers I sought.

It feels to be the most natural fit in the world. I still take the Bodhisattava Vow and know the Buddha's light shines down upon my path!

Be Well My Friend.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  09:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

KechariConfusion

USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I ran into a Buddhist equivalent of Autobiography of a Yogi at Barnes and Noble.

Blew my mind away.
Go to Top of Page

ddaniel

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  01:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by KechariConfusion

I ran into a Buddhist equivalent of Autobiography of a Yogi at Barnes and Noble.

Blew my mind away.

What is the title and author? I really enjoyed Yogananda's book...
Go to Top of Page

axelschlotzhauer

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  02:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ddaniel I tried to reply on taobums to the attacks on AYP. it did not function and the moderators as in many other cases don't correct this technical faults. Do you have an idea what to do?

Tantrical buddhism includes Shiva important for AYP by Bairava as a goddess and its holy scripture of Vijana Bhairava describing the relation of Shiva and Shakti or Devi. Sutra 13 and 14 (yoni mudra) describe AYP exercises

Another approach is seeing buddha like Jesus as an ishta realizing Shiva or Brahma. So you find buddhahood also in AYP. Buddha Vajrayogini is with the expulsion of Buddhism by Islam in India also a hindu goddess now.

Cosmic buddha like cosmic christ is a rival to shiva and brahma in the cosmos. As primordial nature they are the same in oneness.

Axel
Go to Top of Page

KechariConfusion

USA
44 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  10:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ddaniel

quote:
Originally posted by KechariConfusion

Blew my mind away.

What is the title and author? I really enjoyed Yogananda's book...

I had to go back, because I forgot the title.

Its this book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rA...ge&q&f=false
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000