Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation Technique Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TallTaff

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

This is my first post.

I've been practicing Deep Meditation for about 2 months now, twice a day.

I have definitely noticed some positive signs, but I'd like to clear up a couple of questions in regard to the technique itself as I often find myself doubting that I am doing it correctly.

Firstly, should I be returning my focus to the mantra when I notice I'm thinking/day dreaming or when I notice I've stopped repeating the mantra?

I ask this as I find I can go for long periods of time where I can repeat the mantra, but I feel as if I'm day dreaming. I never lose the mantra, but I am also lost in thought.

On other occasions I have tried to return my focus completely to the mantra every time I notice I have been day dreaming (the mantra continues the whole time, but I place my focus on it), but this often leads to a very intense pressure at my temples and I'm worried that I'm straining.

My second question is whether I should be actively trying to let go?
During my most intense meditation experience so far(rushing feelings, pleasure etc), before the sensations started, I had begun to wilfully let go (if that makes sense?). I was allowing my mind to wander completely and I could kind of watch images and thoughts.

Since then I guess I've been trying to recreate this sensation by trying to let go again, but I've not had the same experience since.
I'm now worried that I'm trying to add too much control to the meditation and possibly hindering myself in the progress.

Thanks in advance.

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Taltaff.

You say 'focus' which often means forced concentration.

Instead you should gently be putting your awareness on the repeating of the Mantra.
It doesn't matt what happens, even if you think your day dreaming and the Mantra is repeating or whatever, whenever you notice your off the mantra the gently put your awareness back on it.

No, you should be actively letting go or holding on, anytime you start thinking " I'm letting go, trying to let go " or whatever else runs through your mind then just gently place awareness back on the mantra.

Pain in the head is a sign of too much concentration and attempting to force the mantra. Just let it go where it will.

Guard against overloading and self pace whern necessary. Get plenty of rest after meditating.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums TallTaff
quote:
Originally posted by TallTaff
Firstly, should I be returning my focus to the mantra when I notice I'm thinking/day dreaming or when I notice I've stopped repeating the mantra?

Yes, when you realize you are lost in the daydreams, at whatever level the mantra comes up, go back to it.

quote:
I ask this as I find I can go for long periods of time where I can repeat the mantra, but I feel as if I'm day dreaming. I never lose the mantra, but I am also lost in thought.

True. Happens to many of us. But when you have the thought "I am day dreaming" or "I never lose the mantra"... at that point go back to the mantra.

quote:
On other occasions I have tried to return my focus completely to the mantra every time I notice I have been day dreaming (the mantra continues the whole time, but I place my focus on it), but this often leads to a very intense pressure at my temples and I'm worried that I'm straining.

Don't jump out of the level you are at and go back to the mantra with full force, pick it up at whatever level you are at... at this level you may repeat the mantra once or twice and get lost in thoughts again, that is fine. The idea is not to stay on the mantra or the thoughts... it is to pick the mantra, lose it, come back to it... very easy about it. Let us know if this helps.

quote:
My second question is whether I should be actively trying to let go?
During my most intense meditation experience so far(rushing feelings, pleasure etc), before the sensations started, I had begun to wilfully let go (if that makes sense?). I was allowing my mind to wander completely and I could kind of watch images and thoughts.

Since then I guess I've been trying to recreate this sensation by trying to let go again, but I've not had the same experience since.
I'm now worried that I'm trying to add too much control to the meditation and possibly hindering myself in the progress.

Thanks in advance.

Well the time the letting go happened, you did not make it happen, it just happened. Trying to make something happen is just a futile effort in playing mind games. That experience happened once, may never happen again or happen a lot, later... it does not matter... don’t try to control the session in any way, let it go as it does.

You will soon find a lot more things happening, if we try to hold on to all of them, we will spend a lot of time and energy not getting anywhere, better to let the trying to make the session go a certain way and accept every session as perfect... even if it is mindy and very surfacy.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

TallTaff

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  7:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks both,

That's a big help and has made things a lot clearer.

I will take your suggestions on board for my next session.
Go to Top of Page

Bourgo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  3:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TallTaff, welcome to the AYP forums.

It seems that you have many of the same questions that I've had -- glad to know that someone is having a similar experience.

I also find myself able to repeat the mantra in the "background" of thought streams. To date, once I become aware that I am doing both, I try to gently shift more attention to the mantra than the thought stream. Usually at this point the thought stream fades away leaving just the mantra.....but not for long

I personally try to "forcefully let go" sometimes and also have found it has no positive effects. It can be harder for some people than others to "let go" of their control, and I think that we are maybe in the same boat. The times that I have been able to let go I have wonderfully deep sessions, but most of the time I find myself mechanically trying to control the session, or getting distressed when I've been meditating for awhile and I feel that the session isn't "going well". For these issues, I still struggle with them myself, so I have no good resolution.

Good luck brother.

Edited by - Bourgo on Apr 20 2012 3:19:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

TallTaff

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  8:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bourgo,

Always reassuring to hear someone is having the same experiences as you.

Like you say, it can be very difficult not to try and control the experience. It's probably what I struggle with most, even though I know it is detrimental to the meditation.

Usually I end up in some kind of mental loop where I realise I am trying to control the meditation and then work hard to control that!!

I'm hoping it is all a good learning experience in the long run!
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  8:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TallTaff and All,

It really doesn't matter what happens during meditation as long as whenever you notice you are not thinking the mantra you begin silently repeating it again. Whether you are trying to control the experience or trying to control your controlling of the experience it doesn't matter as long as when you notice you are doing it (or anything else other than repeating the mantra) you go back to the mantra. That is the DM procedure. Just relax, know that you are doing everything right, and just repeat the mantra, going back to it whenever you realize you are off it.

Best of luck.

Love!
Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000